* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 8:46AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Apple iPod vs COWON something
PostPosted: Sat 03-07-2009 2:16AM 
Banned by Chankster!!!!
Banned by Chankster!!!!

Source: TJ North
So, are you going to avoid Apple Corporation's stuff in the future?

I've hated Apple for a long time, and with REALLY GOOD reasons. Apple doesn't include shit in their Portable Media players.

Go with COWON Systems, Inc.

Check out the COWON A3, or the D2 (I think this is the touch-capable one). The A3 is the god of PMPs (portable media players).

visit my deviantART page for humor and one more step toward insanity.

Also, take a look at Cairo: Shell Alternative for Windows Vista and 7-Beta

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: FS: 16 GB iPod Touch (1st gen) - $160
PostPosted: Sat 03-07-2009 6:42AM 
Drowning

Source: Off Campus
I went back and read his post, turns out he is trying to sell it and is not asking an opinion on apple media players. Weird I know.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 03-07-2009 10:43AM 
Brigadier General

AMDphreak wrote:

I've hated Apple for a long time, and with REALLY GOOD reasons. Apple doesn't include shit in their Portable Media players.

Check out the COWON A3, or the D2 (I think this is the touch-capable one). The A3 is the god of PMPs (portable media players).

No, actually I have a second iPod Touch that I am wholly in love with and dependent upon. Thanks though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 1:53AM 
bertowned
bertowned

AMDphreak wrote:

That is one ugly piece of shit.

Sorry to threadjack, Colossians, so we'll just call this a courtesy bump.

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 1:56PM 
Banned by Chankster!!!!
Banned by Chankster!!!!

amd2800barton wrote:
AMDphreak wrote:

Can your PMP play FLAC files? I'm an audiophile, so maybe you don't understand what I see as a quality item. BTW the D2 looks nice. In fact it's one of their best-selling items. COWON doesn't have many retailers in the US. Their mainly marketed in East Asia.

Another thing: can your PMP output full HD video to a TV? didn't think so. (unless you have one of these). No, not even Archos can match that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 1:58PM 
Drowning

lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 5:08PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Anything that comes with a wrist strap and looks like fucking 1980s VCR technology gets instant piece of shit status in my book. You might as well strap a netbook to your wrist with a sticker on the back that says "I never get laid".

So you broke your ipod, that's not apple's fault. That cowan thing is ugly as shit, and looks thicker than the original dell jukeboxes. Nobody uses it so there's absolutely no app support. If you plan on listening to FLAC files on a media player then you're going to need a bigger hard drive. And who cares if you can watch HD on a 4 inch screen - it could be a 10 fucking megapixel screen and you wouldn't tell the difference. And playing it over your HDTV is useless since.... wait for it... you don't have an HDTV!

Get a "PMP" (aka knock off iTouch / iPhone) that is usable - not some retarded device that has more checkboxes than anything else.

PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 6:05PM 
Brigadier General

Mods, feel free to move this thread to the "Audiophiles 'R' Us" forum.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Apple iPod vs COWON something
PostPosted: Sun 03-08-2009 6:51PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
Split these from Colossians FS thread. Try to not hijack someone's thread in FS/WTB anymore AMDphreak.

FWIW, I wouldn't want FLAC ability in a PMP.. b/c I'd have to have headphones that would cost upwards of $200 for the difference to matter. Anything that's going to be playing lossless files probably shouldn't be able to fit on your head. Also, show me COWON's app store and then we can start mentioning a competition between the 2 players.

PostPosted: Tue 03-10-2009 7:44PM 
Banned by Chankster!!!!
Banned by Chankster!!!!

amd2800barton wrote:
AMDphreak wrote:

You didn't bother actually looking at pictures of it, did you. There is nothing wrong with its visual appeal. it is designed with simplicity and volume optimization in mind. It's not designed to waste space for fun, only for heat-management. Here are pictures of it. Review them carefully, and revise your opinion accordingly.

amd2800barton wrote:
And who cares if you can watch HD on a 4 inch screen - it could be a 10 fucking megapixel screen and you wouldn't tell the difference. And playing it over your HDTV is useless since.... wait for it... you don't have an HDTV!

I do have an HDTV. 720p (not specification-perfect HD, but HD in most folks' books).

And I live in TJ, where there are no fewer than 18 HD TVs at my disposal (1 in each lounge). And my parents have an HDTV@1080p, and my Oma (German Grandmother) has an HDTV@1080p. Which would you prefer hauling out to the lounge to watch a video on? A blu-ray disc with a blu-ray player (or comparably, a Desktop with a blu-ray drive), or a 5.3x3.1 in.^2 handheld player?

your choice. and, [disclaimer on your behalf] your preferences do not and cannot reflect every single other person's preferences.

blitzvergnugen wrote:
FWIW, I wouldn't want FLAC ability in a PMP.. b/c I'd have to have headphones that would cost upwards of $200 for the difference to matter. Anything that's going to be playing lossless files probably shouldn't be able to fit on your head. Also, show me COWON's app store and then we can start mentioning a competition between the 2 players.

no you dont. Get the Sennheiser HD280 headphones. They are on par with lossless CD quality, and they cost only $100. Also, Grado's entry-level headphones are only $80, and Grado only makes audiophile headphones.
See, what you're thinking of is surround headphones, or Master-quality headphones. CDs are not master quality, and are certainly not surround sound quality. You're thinking of something to use with an SACD.
amd2800barton wrote:
"I never get laid"
Who said that? God lays me down to sleep every night. watch what you assume, amd2800barton. Remember, when you assume, you make an AMD user out of u and me....as I assume you use an AMD core on one of your rides.

Quote:
So you broke your ipod, that's not apple's fault.

I did not break my iPod. I did not put a battery in there that is worth shit. Read this. Apple is an ass for advertising a battery life that had an error of 40% in it. Totally uncool. I had that exact model. The battery lasted a grand instant of 3 years. If you buy something that's that expensive, it should fucking last more than 3 whole years. For about half of it's life, the battery life was at around 4 hours--without searching for new songs or changing albums manually. just letting it run, it was 4 hours. ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE. ABSOLUTELY DIRTY TO LIE ABOUT THIS TOO.

You tell me Apple has a track record; I'll show you the dirt stains it left behind on the track.

EDIT: the touch-capable COWON device I was thinking about was the S9. It is the redesign of the D2 (or something like that). It has a MUCH sleeker design.
There is also the Cowon O2PMP. It is also much nicer-looking than the D2, and is also touch-capable

also, you wanna know where iPods are made?

china. yup, that's it. drink it up, dorks.

oh! and guess where Cowon products are made?! South Korea--NOT china.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 03-10-2009 9:08PM 
Major General

AMDphreak wrote:
blitzvergnugen wrote:

no you dont. Get the Sennheiser HD280 headphones. They are on par with lossless CD quality, and they cost only $100. Also, Grado's entry-level headphones are only $80, and Grado only makes audiophile headphones.
See, what you're thinking of is surround headphones, or Master-quality headphones. CDs are not master quality, and are certainly not surround sound quality. You're thinking of something to use with an SACD.

LOL.

First off, no. I wasn't thinking about SACD or any other higher quality format other than the Red Book spec. And that's besides the point. FLAC is a lossless codec. So if you rip a SACD to FLAC, it doesn't lose quality. Vinyl rips make a large portion of my FLAC collection. A 24/96 vinyl rip is what I would mainly listen to, but I don't need that kind of quality to carry around.

Secondly, you can have a 192kbps surround file. Surround has absolutely nothing to do with quality.

Sennheiser makes nice headphones. But the HD280's on the budget end of nice headphones. What's this "master-quality" headphones? The best headphones are Studio quality. The one's I had in mind specifically are AKG K-501, discontinued, but a venture to their current line up shows that their middle range is ~$250.

PostPosted: Tue 03-10-2009 9:38PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

AMDphreak wrote:
amd2800barton wrote:
AMDphreak wrote:

You didn't bother actually looking at pictures of it, did you. There is nothing wrong with its visual appeal. it is designed with simplicity and volume optimization in mind. It's not designed to waste space for fun, only for heat-management. Here are pictures of it. Review them carefully, and revise your opinion accordingly.

Checked the link, and it went to the page I found on my own earlier. The thin chrome buttons and the chamfered chrome edge SCREAM 1980's VCR remote control. I had one that looked like this (technically, that one is for a videodisc player, but it looked identical). It is repulsive. The screen may look ok, but that is hard to judge outside of a physical trial run.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 03-10-2009 9:47PM 
Drowning

why it might be cool the thing plays hd movies, who wants to take the time to load an HD movie (at least 5gb) onto flash memory just to watch a movie. I think its a pointless feature, even then it will only play 720i (not hd) and lacks on the file support.

get a popcorn hour for that

Walking to and from class and at the gym I could care less if my music was lossless. There will be other things you are focusing on and other noise that it wouldnt really matter. It really just seems like extra features to charge more to be called an "audiophile" device. Considering any audiophile wouldnt use a portable device because of the impossible task of having precise signal processing, amplification, and noise isolation on a small board.

you can hate apple all you want, but because your 1.8" hd ipod (im guessing) only had a 4 hour battery life, get over it. Everyone is going to exaggerate battery life, in order to achieve that you probably had to play everything in order (how its stored on the drive and not seeking) volume low, and never have the screen on/backlit. How much do batteries cost anyway? $30?

You can be elitist all you want, it dosent make you cooler, or appear any smarter.

EDIT: sorry this also has the 1.8" hd which destroys battery life. It is also fat32 so good luck even putting an hd movie on there (4gb limit).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 03-13-2009 1:04AM 
Lieutenant

Colossians3 wrote:
AMDphreak wrote:

No, actually I have a second iPod Touch that I am wholly in love with and dependent upon. Thanks though.

QFT. I find myself getting angry when I go places that do not have wifi now. I wish I had bought one sooner because I use it for just about everything. I know that as soon as I can afford an iPhone, that will be my phone of choice (Honestly, I would have rather killed myself a year ago rather than say this). Not to mention, all of the apps available for it makes it great for times of extreme boredom.

Also, if I'm not carrying around an iPod touch how will I look cool? Also with the size of that cowon thing I could definitely get a workout for my arms and back, thing looks huge.

PostPosted: Mon 03-23-2009 11:14PM 
Banned by Chankster!!!!
Banned by Chankster!!!!

LostBoyz wrote:
why it might be cool the thing plays hd movies, who wants to take the time to load an HD movie (at least 5gb) onto flash memory just to watch a movie. I think its a pointless feature, even then it will only play 720i (not hd) and lacks on the file support.

get a popcorn hour for that

Walking to and from class and at the gym I could care less if my music was lossless. There will be other things you are focusing on and other noise that it wouldnt really matter. It really just seems like extra features to charge more to be called an "audiophile" device. Considering any audiophile wouldnt use a portable device because of the impossible task of having precise signal processing, amplification, and noise isolation on a small board.

you can hate apple all you want, but because your 1.8" hd ipod (im guessing) only had a 4 hour battery life, get over it. Everyone is going to exaggerate battery life, in order to achieve that you probably had to play everything in order (how its stored on the drive and not seeking) volume low, and never have the screen on/backlit. How much do batteries cost anyway? $30?

You can be elitist all you want, it dosent make you cooler, or appear any smarter.

EDIT: sorry this also has the 1.8" hd which destroys battery life. It is also fat32 so good luck even putting an hd movie on there (4gb limit).

I'm guessing you found out it has a Hard drive and not flash memory. Good researching skillz.
Yes, a hard drive would affect battery life, however, the recorded battery life on wikipedia's comparison page shows that the A3 has the highest battery life for a large-capacity player, and in fact, beats many of the low-capacity players, save COWON's prize touch-sensitive low-capacity player, the D2. See the comparison.

I have to go to bed. I'll come back and edit to finish responding. Peaz OUt for now, though.

Profile E-mail