Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 1:27PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: BOXEE -- Anyone else use it?
PostPosted: Mon 02-08-2010 10:36PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
TYVM

PostPosted: Tue 02-09-2010 12:09AM 
awesome yet humble

Source: Off Campus
Wow... Team effort, ftw

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Tue 02-09-2010 6:34AM 
Lieutenant

OK, so the next logical question is, what are the effective differences between using boxee on an Xbox vs. using it on PC/Mac? Or are there none?

I mean, the biggest reason, imo, to use it at all is the remote. The iTouch/iPhone remote app is pretty handy, meaning I can get out of my computer chair and sit in my comfy chair with my feet up and watch online content and flicks off my external drive in my apartment. And I hate Apple's FrontRow...

So yeah, out of curiosity, how can you optimize usage?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-09-2010 9:10AM 
Major General

HiTechRedneck wrote:
OK, so the next logical question is, what are the effective differences between using boxee on an Xbox vs. using it on PC/Mac? Or are there none?

I mean, the biggest reason, imo, to use it at all is the remote. The iTouch/iPhone remote app is pretty handy, meaning I can get out of my computer chair and sit in my comfy chair with my feet up and watch online content and flicks off my external drive in my apartment. And I hate Apple's FrontRow...

So yeah, out of curiosity, how can you optimize usage?

Boxee won't go on an xbox. XBMC will, but now they have to take current builds and make them a bit less feature rich so the hardware can handle it. (I think official dev on the xbox trunk of XBMC died a year or so ago)... Mostly it's the skins' use of HD quality background images that slows things down quite a bit.

If you get the DVD Playback kit you can have a remote. You can even mod xbox with a IR sensor and a couple resistors so the remote will turn the xbox on. Or, if you need a gui on your remote you can setup a http server on the xbox.

Online content is definitely a no go on xbox XBMC. There's just not enough ram. There's a couple apps that will let you watch apple trailers and such, but that's b/c you can download them and then watch. So, that's probably the biggest downside. It will do network streaming just fine.

And why is optimizing usage such a confounding concept? Here's one example for Windows off the top of my head: You can access pretty much all of the admin tools by Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools... or you can right click on My Computer and click Manage.. Which presents all of the tools in one window instead of them being in separate windows... Which is more effective/optimized?

PostPosted: Tue 02-09-2010 9:58AM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

blitzvergnugen wrote:
And why is optimizing usage such a confounding concept? Here's one example for Windows off the top of my head: You can access pretty much all of the admin tools by Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools... or you can right click on My Computer and click Manage.. Which presents all of the tools in one window instead of them being in separate windows... Which is more effective/optimized?

what does this have to do with using xbmc or boxee effectively? I'm pretty sure that's what he was asking about. I'm curious as well.

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-09-2010 3:10PM 
Major General

It's supposed to be a metaphor about how there's always multiple ways of doing things, but some are better than others. I don't personally use boxee much, so I can't really tell you a lot there.. but if you need an example.. here's one for XBMC:

In XBMC there's generally 3 ways to access a video: You can browse through the domain, you can have added a source, or library mode. Each has benefits and draw backs. Going through the domain is a slow and cumbersome process. If you add a source, then it speeds up the process significantly. If you've scraped the information, this adds info about the episode/movie.. This information will show regardless which method you use, but depending on the skin your using and it's implementation of the library mode; you can get a lot more out of it. For instance the MediaStream uses library mode by default and will actually mark which shows you have watched, something unavailable w/o library mode.

It's kinda like the way your mother uses the computer. It gets the job done, but there are better, faster, and more effective ways to use it. Now that I've shown that I can back up my smack, I expect the trivial arguments over what it means to effectively use a program to end...

PostPosted: Tue 02-09-2010 6:10PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

the only thing you've shown is that you are able to explain how to use the UI of a program that was designed for a remedial idiot to be able to use.

you also failed to provide any solid basis for your claim that I did not understand how to use boxee. I use a fileserver over a gigabit ethernet connection to connect a "source", and I am able to organize and play my media. there is nothing further to be understood about this program that isn't popped in front of your face with a help box.

furthermore--XBMC is irrelevant as

• I'm not going to downgrade from a 3ghz dualcore HTPC to a celeron with a geforce2
    (yes, I understand it runs on other platforms)
  • I have never used it (so why would you even mention that I don't understand how to use it?)
  • It's not what this thread is about.

finally you've demonstrated that you can act like a child and have my avatar vandalized when your reason and intellect fail you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-09-2010 6:52PM 
Drowning

sigh, i know you aren't going to give up but I'll just go ahead and put you back down

lets review the topic, you ask about boxee's social aspect and no one cares

you and others go on to comment on how boxee sucks

blitz says that boxee is a derivative of xbmc

for some reason you think blitz dosent know what he is talking about though you find out he does....kinda

blitz corrects you and throws some sass on it

you flip out like an autistic child

you get blitzverpwned by a tag team

you still won't accept that xbmc is better than boxee because it is was based off of an xbox, acknowledging yet throwing out that it works on any linux/windows machine

and from here I can say, use xbmc becuase we are all in agreement boxee sucks (even you). Come back and ask questions on all the awesome features on xbmc and I might even tell you about some things you don't know.

and dont bitch just because you got blitzverpwned

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-09-2010 7:12PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

this thread is awesome.

in response -- what can I say? I get pissed then fuck shit up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 02-10-2010 12:51AM 
Lieutenant

LMAO @ this thread! Nerds and geeks throwdown...

Anyhoo, personally I was just as curious as the OP whether or not anyone was partaking of the "social" content on boxee. I looked at xbmc but liked the visual interface of boxee better; mainly because I knew it would be easier for my better half to use (hey, she's old enough to be yer momma! And so am I, for that matter...).

However, I just upgraded my Vista dualboot to Winblows Sven and am thinking about giving xbmc a whirl.

Soooo...just so you boys can flex yer interwoobies muscles...tell me about WHY you guys find xbmc to be better than boxee. Is it the user interface? Speed? Footprint? What?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 02-10-2010 12:26PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

HiTechRedneck wrote:
(hey, she's old enough to be yer momma! And so am I, for that matter...).?

I don't care how old you are, you can never be my mother. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 02-10-2010 6:16PM 
Drowning

HiTechRedneck wrote:
LMAO @ this thread! Nerds and geeks throwdown...

Anyhoo, personally I was just as curious as the OP whether or not anyone was partaking of the "social" content on boxee. I looked at xbmc but liked the visual interface of boxee better; mainly because I knew it would be easier for my better half to use (hey, she's old enough to be yer momma! And so am I, for that matter...).

However, I just upgraded my Vista dualboot to Winblows Sven and am thinking about giving xbmc a whirl.

Soooo...just so you boys can flex yer interwoobies muscles...tell me about WHY you guys find xbmc to be better than boxee. Is it the user interface? Speed? Footprint? What?

try different skins, there are plenty of great ones, and they aren't just skins they greatly re-arrange the features of the program

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail