Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat 04-27-2024 8:44PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: circuits solutions manual
PostPosted: Sun 02-12-2006 9:24PM 
Sergeant

Source: TJ South
is there a solutions manual to go with the circuits analysis, 2e book for EE151?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 02-12-2006 10:03PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Ask Kurt Kosbar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 02-12-2006 10:03PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
Tee hee hee hee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 02-12-2006 10:06PM 
Sergeant

snipermav wrote:
Ask Kurt Kosbar.

who is kurt kosbar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 02-12-2006 10:23PM 
Major

Lursa wrote:
snipermav wrote:
Ask Kurt Kosbar.

who is kurt kosbar

There are solutions floating about, however, you probably don't want to ask Dr. Kosbar about them.

I remember Circuits I: the homework was a lot of work. That said, it counted for so little that it was worth giving an honest shot (and possibly screwing up on). If you attempt the homework, you'll likely be ready for whatever they throw at you on an exam (where the real points are).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 12:09AM 
Colonel

Source: TJ North
jollyplex wrote:
I remember Circuits I: the homework was a lot of work. That said, it counted for so little that it was worth giving an honest shot (and possibly screwing up on). If you attempt the homework, you'll likely be ready for whatever they throw at you on an exam (where the real points are).

That said, the solutions make it a whole lot easier to see how to solve the homework problems, as long as you don't just copy them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 12:13AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
Lursa wrote:
snipermav wrote:
Ask Kurt Kosbar.

who is kurt kosbar

A very nice man who would like to see Seek shut down for distributing bad things. Such as Soultion manuals to his classes.

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 12:22AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
he's actually a pretty cool guy if you get a class with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 12:43AM 
Major

snipermav wrote:
he's actually a pretty cool guy if you get a class with him.

That's so true... he's my hero, except for the whole seek thing. Yea, let me suggest to any EEs out there, you should try as hard as you can to get into any of Dr. Kosbar's classes, regardless of your feelings on the subject.

As for that solutions manual... It's definitely better to start your homework early (like, the day it's assigned), figure out what problems you can't do, and then go to a LEAD session or some other kind of tutoring to figure out how to do them. That was a giant help.

-The Boondock Saints-

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 4:42PM 
Colonel

ZLiteStar wrote:
It's definitely better to start your homework early (like, the day it's assigned), figure out what problems you can't do, and then go to a LEAD session or some other kind of tutoring to figure out how to do them. That was a giant help.

That may be, but the material just became considerably more complicated and we just got out of a tutorial session in which Dr. Shrestha hit ~8 overhead projector pages filled with equations in less than 20 minutes and managed to avoid any comprehensible explanation before leaving us to hang. So yeah... I too would be interested in obtaining this manual to help make sense out of what just got thrown at us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 6:39PM 
Colonel

darkt0aster wrote:
ZLiteStar wrote:
It's definitely better to start your homework early (like, the day it's assigned), figure out what problems you can't do, and then go to a LEAD session or some other kind of tutoring to figure out how to do them. That was a giant help.

That may be, but the material just became considerably more complicated and we just got out of a tutorial session in which Dr. Shrestha hit ~8 overhead projector pages filled with equations in less than 20 minutes and managed to avoid any comprehensible explanation before leaving us to hang. So yeah... I too would be interested in obtaining this manual to help make sense out of what just got thrown at us.

Transfer out to another section ASAP! I cannot tell you the amount of people that I worked with during my stay in the EE dept who lacked the fundementals of circutry because of his teaching. For circuits seek out the following profs. Cunningham, he wrote the book on it, literally, very good teacher, willing to help anyone understand. Second, Gajda, though unless the stock market has taken a substantial downturn, he is living it up fishing somewhere right now. Lastly, Moss, while definetly not the easiest teacher (expect NO breaks from him, b/c if you do, even if he tells yout to expect them, never buy into it, or you will be screwed) you will achieve a great understanding of the material, despite the fact that your grade will not necessarily show this.

Oh, and do not ever post about a solutions manual again, b/c your homework will most likely now be scrutinized for cheating infractions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 6:55PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ North
1. Shrestha is the only circuits teacher this semester, same as last semester. There is no other section.

2. I don't see how using the solution manual, which is written and sold by the textbook authors, on homework could be considered cheating. That is what it's for, and a lot of times it's "recommended" to buy on the course textbook listing. Tests are for seeing whether you know the material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 7:11PM 
Drowning

though ill admit this is my second time through circuits, DONT USE THE SOLUTIONS MANUAL. you will end up fucking yourself in the ass. its not hard enough that you cant get it by reading and doing a lot of problems. take it from me you will just get addicted to it and not do homework and then not know what your talking about come test and quiz time

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 7:28PM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
darkt0aster wrote:
ZLiteStar wrote:

First off:
http://www.soundamerica.com/sounds/cart ... mories.wav

Second:
You're going to just love his explanations on differential equations...

Third:
Test 2 is LETHAL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 02-13-2006 7:56PM 
Major

squishypickle wrote:
2. I don't see how using the solution manual, which is written and sold by the textbook authors, on homework could be considered cheating. That is what it's for, and a lot of times it's "recommended" to buy on the course textbook listing. Tests are for seeing whether you know the material.

In principle, I agree with this argument. Professors should be more than capable of devising homework and exams that effectively test your knowledge of a subject without relying heavily on a preexisting and well-known database of problems and solutions. I think Dr. DuBroff did a good job of this in Circuits II last semester, almost completely ignoring the Cunningham book.

In practice, few have the discipline necessary to first attempt a problem, then check their work using a solutions manual. According to Amazon, the solutions manual for Circuit Analysis is out of print, which effectively terminates its legal distribution due to copyright law.

I fully understand why the EE department is using this to its advantage. Kosbar likely doesn't want Seek42 to be destroyed; he probably just wants to see people learn the material.