* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun 04-28-2024 3:53PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: better descriptions of the classes I am looking at
PostPosted: Wed 04-22-2009 11:44AM 
Sergeant

Location: Stuck in traffic between 17 Capitol Bldg and 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW

Source: Off Campus
I would like some better descriptions of the classes I am looking at. (how fun, how much work, anything important, class description, and more)
I read the catalog, but have found real people have more insightful descriptions. Thanks so much.

Phil 10
Art 80
Phil 225
Art 85
Sociol 105
Nu Eng 25
Cr Eng 205
Nu Eng 105

Post subject: Re: better descriptions of the classes I am looking at
PostPosted: Wed 04-22-2009 12:15PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
Art 80 - you look at art from various time periods and listen to the teacher rant each week. There were claims of a midterm and final which never took place. no homework. one paper about your aesthetic is all that's required and it can be one sentence. easy A.

Art 85 - Watch a movie every week and right essentially a review of the movie explaining some of the effects they used (that you learn) and how they convey a central theme of the film. One film log per week. An occasional quiz. One outside film log (Citizen Kane) and one final film log on a movie of your choice. easy A.

PostPosted: Wed 04-22-2009 2:42PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
berto wrote:
listen to the teacher rant each week.

I don't think you quite conveyed the true meaning of the class here. This just isn't your normal everyday ranting. Oh no. If you get Leo, this is some of the deepest, most thought provoking ranting that you will ever come across. Yes. It is that good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 04-22-2009 9:09PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
Agentzak wrote:
berto wrote:

I don't think you quite conveyed the true meaning of the class here. This just isn't your normal everyday ranting. Oh no. If you get Leo, this is some of the deepest, most thought provoking ranting that you will ever come across. Yes. It is that good.

I lol'd. I didn't convey it because I don't know anything after all.

PostPosted: Fri 04-24-2009 5:53PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ South
what's phil 10? is that like phil 5 or 15...?

NukeE 105 is WAY too much work for 2hrs. I dropped it like a bad habit. You have to take it if you're a NukeE however.

PostPosted: Fri 04-24-2009 7:39PM 
Sergeant

Thanks, Phil 10 is Practical Reasoning (3 hours). I took Phil 15 intro to logic, but made the mistake of getting the definition of logic and reason switched, but I did learn I do not like pure logic and that most people use the words interchangeably. Also what do you know what NukeE 25 is and is there an easier class that covers the interaction of radiation with material properties, I am very fascinated with that topic, primarily the formation of interstitial vacancy by neutron bombardment.

PostPosted: Sat 04-25-2009 9:10AM 
Major General

berto wrote:
Agentzak wrote:
berto wrote:

I lol'd. I didn't convey it because I don't know anything after all.

Leo's ranting cannot be conveyed in words. The only way to understand what type of ranting we're talking about is to see it for yourself.

PostPosted: Sat 04-25-2009 1:39PM 
Brigadier General

greenstar53 wrote:
Thanks, Phil 10 is Practical Reasoning (3 hours). I took Phil 15 intro to logic, but made the mistake of getting the definition of logic and reason switched, but I did learn I do not like pure logic and that most people use the words interchangeably. Also what do you know what NukeE 25 is and is there an easier class that covers the interaction of radiation with material properties, I am very fascinated with that topic, primarily the formation of interstitial vacancy by neutron bombardment.

NE 25 is no where near the level needed to cover interstitial vacancies. You need NE 341 or NE 441 for that. NE 25 is a 1 hour freshmen class and I teach a section of it. We cover the 3 types of radiation, main differences between them. Have a tour of the reactor and let them operate it for a few minutes. The biggest chunk of the class is talking about what nuclear engineering is and if they should choose it as their major.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 04-25-2009 2:32PM 
Sergeant

Agentzak wrote:
NE 25 is no where near the level needed to cover interstitial vacancies. You need NE 341 or NE 441 for that. NE 25 is a 1 hour freshmen class and I teach a section of it. We cover the 3 types of radiation, main differences between them. Have a tour of the reactor and let them operate it for a few minutes. The biggest chunk of the class is talking about what nuclear engineering is and if they should choose it as their major.

So taking NE 25 as a filler my junior year would drive me mad from boredom, yes or no? No offense to you of course. As to getting my questions answered about interaction of radiation with materials, I would basically have to change my major, not really looking at that idea despite how curious I am.

PostPosted: Sat 04-25-2009 6:33PM 
Brigadier General

It probably would.

We talk about how a nuclear reactor works and makes electricity, what radioactive decay is, what half life is, space nuclear power, what fusion is, make a cloud chamber, take a tour of our reactor, and let students operate it. It's the equivalent of doing the nuclear engineering summer camp.

If you want to learn about interaction of radiation with materials, NE 341 will answer just about everything you ever wanted to know about it since that is what the whole class is about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 04-26-2009 1:14AM 
Sergeant

Thank you all for your help I think I have made my choice, unless some one throws out a really good idea, I well goodbye for now.