Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 11:20AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: General CLEP questions
PostPosted: Wed 12-16-2009 5:39AM 
Corporal

Source: RC I
A) I want to testout of english 20. How difficult is this to do and can I do anything to review over winter break? I've already paid to take the course for SS2009, so will I get that money back if I pass the CLEP? How does the test grade get applied to my overall GPA?

B.1) I'm a computer science major about to screw myself in chem 1; i'm going to wind up with a D in the course. Does this matter and if so can I take the CLEP to improve my course grade/GPA?

B.2) I received a C in math 4, can I take the CLEP to improve my GPA?

C) If I mess up a CLEP exam, how do I keep it off my transcript?

Last edited by gsteurer on Mon 03-21-2011 9:51PM, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: General CLEP questions
PostPosted: Wed 12-16-2009 6:51AM 
Captain

Source: Fidelity
CLEP for English 20 is pretty easy. If you scored mid-upper 20's on the ACT English section it should be no problem.
My English 20 CLEP shows up as an EX on my transcript - so no, it won't improve your GPA. This probably means you cannot take it to improve your chem/math grades as I doubt it will replace them (ask the registrar). If you are getting a C/D in there though I doubt you'll be able to CLEP it anyway.
Also, I think if you fail the CLEP, it won't show up on your transcript, but don't quote me on that. However, it was the best money and 2 hours or however long it is I ever spent to get out of English 20.
Seriously though, if you're getting a D in chem 1 and a C in math 4 you better get your shit together before it's too late.

PostPosted: Wed 12-16-2009 1:43PM 
Colonel

I'll second that notion about english 20, i got pissed when the lecture in week 3 was "how and when to use commas" and walked out of class to go to the CLEP office. You have to get a 57/80 to pass the clep exam (I think there were either 80 or 90 questions) and it was all ACT style multiple choice.

As for your GPA, I dunno if it will get rid of the bad grades or not, but it do NOT effect your gpa. They are GPA-Exempt credits but count toward your coursework degree.

I think we figured that for a 3 credit hour class, you can take the clep something like 5 or 6 times and still have money over taking the class, then its a question of how much your time is worth.

PostPosted: Wed 12-16-2009 9:57PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
I looked into this quite a bit because I wanted to do this several years ago.

--Once you've taken a class for credit and received a grade, you can't CLEP it.

--The CLEP "grades" are similar to AP, IB, or departmental challenge exams. They don't show up as graded, only "EX" to indicate credit by examination. They do not weigh on your GPA.

--If by "SS09" you mean the coming Winter '10 semester, you wouldn't get refunded automatically--you'd drop the course on Joe'SS before the first day of classes. That would recalculate your semester balance and kick out a refund if you are paid in full. If you really do mean Summer '09, no, of course not--and you probably can't CLEP either because you will have drawn a grade in the class. Unless you dropped.

--Don't expect anything to happen automatically around here--sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and you get a big kick in the ass. That goes for anything.

Also don't forget the value of Columbia College here in Rolla, where if you can pony up the cash, you can get your basic courses done in 8 week blocks one night a week, for about 2/3 of the cost of MST credits. ECC here in Rolla does the same thing but if you can claim a Rolla address the courses are like $55/hour. Don't expect high quality instruction, but come on, it's English 20 right??

Finally, since you seem to be a lazy freshman, a word of advice from one lazy student to another. Get your shit together before you fail out of your first year. These classes are a cakewalk compared to what you're gearing up for. Know when to drop a class. And know when to put down the XBox controller.

PostPosted: Wed 12-16-2009 10:07PM 
Colonel

bagvwf wrote:
These classes are a cakewalk compared to what you're gearing up for. Know when to drop a class. And know when to put down the XBox controller.

Hear hear!