All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Physics 23 Math Mini-Exam
PostPosted: Wed 09-01-2010 8:10PM 
Sergeant

Source: Wilson Library
LostBoyz wrote:
john63401 wrote:
yes I understand the class is big and full of "kids"

But I am ADULT student..... have been bullied in basic training and on the job in the past when I was young and naive abt such things.

Bullying has no place in teaching plain and simple. The greatest teacher of all time was Jesus and he never pushed his weight around.

There are LOTS of Universities and schools out there. They are a BUSINESS .... never forget that! They work for YOU!

The idea that "tenuring" allows one to be an ass and never get fired is exactly why the USA is in the shape its in and flawed.

good luck to you, you are going to need it. Oh and please keep jesus off the forums, I talked with him the other night at our tuesday night poker game (before the strip club) and he doesn't like being talked about on the internet.

Thanks but I dont "need" your luck... Ive already made my "living" in the world having worked over 30 years.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 09-01-2010 8:51PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
john63401 wrote:
The greatest teacher of all time was Jesus and he never pushed his weight around.

Can you show this empirically? If not its an opinion.

Quote:
There are LOTS of Universities and schools out there. They are a BUSINESS .... never forget that! They work for YOU!

Really? I was under the impression that this was a public university. It operates at a net loss - for the purpose of educating. Basically you're getting a cheap education (well expensive, but not 50k a year expensive) and the state then gets more money back in taxes.

Quote:
The idea that "tenuring" allows one to be an ass and never get fired is exactly why the USA is in the shape its in and flawed.

Okay we get it - You love Gelnn Beck. You two are the only ones who know what's right for this country.

Quote:
Thanks but I dont "need" your luck... Ive already made my "living" in the world having worked over 30 years.

Well I don't see how you made it thirty years in industry without learning that
(a) if there's a problem - at least go talk to the person about it. Bitching to HR/a Union/Student Affairs isn't really going to get anything done unless you have a very solid case that you're being singled out and discriminated against. And,
(b) There are jerks in this world, get over it. Also, a professor/supervisor is probably better at manipulating the system than you are, so you'll want to be careful about trying to bring the fire down on them. Odds are, you'll get hurt more and gain nothing.

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 6:46AM 
Captain

I talked with Bienick. Everything turned out better than expected.

Here's the layout of what happened:
I am sitting in a row of only two people: myself, and the kid at the end of the row. When I finished my exam, I handed it to the kid.
Bienick came by to pick up the exams, but the kid didn't hold them far enough out. In fact, the kid was holding them on his desk. He was being unassertive and lazy. Bienick refused to pick them up at his inconvenience.
The kid gave me a dumb look of "What should I do?". Well, dumbass, you could start being assertive and go up to Bienick and hand in the papers.
He goes up to Bienick, and Bienick tells him to throw them away. The kid does. Bienick rolls his eyes at the fact that he just saw a student throw away 4% of his and his classmate's grade.

At the end of class, Bienick retrieved the exams from the trashbin. I talked with him later on that day; he was surprised the kid threw away the exams. He told me not to sit next to that kid if I knew what was good for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 10:03AM 
Sergeant

Source: CompSci Building
amd2800barton wrote:
john63401 wrote:
The greatest teacher of all time was Jesus and he never pushed his weight around.

Can you show this empirically? If not its an opinion.

Quote:

Really? I was under the impression that this was a public university. It operates at a net loss - for the purpose of educating. Basically you're getting a cheap education (well expensive, but not 50k a year expensive) and the state then gets more money back in taxes.

Quote:

Okay we get it - You love Gelnn Beck. You two are the only ones who know what's right for this country.

Quote:

Well I don't see how you made it thirty years in industry without learning that
(a) if there's a problem - at least go talk to the person about it. Bitching to HR/a Union/Student Affairs isn't really going to get anything done unless you have a very solid case that you're being singled out and discriminated against. And,
(b) There are jerks in this world, get over it. Also, a professor/supervisor is probably better at manipulating the system than you are, so you'll want to be careful about trying to bring the fire down on them. Odds are, you'll get hurt more and gain nothing.

You have education and knowledge I am sure..... but you have NO WISDOM. Wisdom is the greater gift son.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 10:16AM 
Sergeant

Source: CompSci Building
koulevprime wrote:
I talked with Bienick. Everything turned out better than expected.

Here's the layout of what happened:
I am sitting in a row of only two people: myself, and the kid at the end of the row. When I finished my exam, I handed it to the kid.
Bienick came by to pick up the exams, but the kid didn't hold them far enough out. In fact, the kid was holding them on his desk. He was being unassertive and lazy. Bienick refused to pick them up at his inconvenience.
The kid gave me a dumb look of "What should I do?". Well, dumbass, you could start being assertive and go up to Bienick and hand in the papers.
He goes up to Bienick, and Bienick tells him to throw them away. The kid does. Bienick rolls his eyes at the fact that he just saw a student throw away 4% of his and his classmate's grade.

At the end of class, Bienick retrieved the exams from the trashbin. I talked with him later on that day; he was surprised the kid threw away the exams. He told me not to sit next to that kid if I knew what was good for me.

I am glad it turned out well..... but it should have NEVER been a problem in the first place!

This is the first tiem away from home for some of these kids and it is hard to "acclimate" to just knowing where all the bathrooms are much less being an "automaton" in a class run by a bully who brags he can never be fired. There are MANY kinds of success. Professors have achieved success academically but most of the ones Ive seen couldnt walk two blocks without being debilitated (no physical success). No SOCIAL SKILLS success. etc

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 10:56AM 
Captain

Same thing happened when I took the class, except I was the one holding the papers out. He bitched about needing to bend over to grab them from my hand so he just left me holding onto them. The rest of the class consisted of everyone fighting with him over what the definition of "the isle" was, pretty pointless.

Anytime I saw him at a lead session he was yelling at the other students in charge of tutoring the phys23 students. Whenever a phys23 student would ask him for help there, he'd spend 5 minutes telling them how stupid they were, yell a little bit longer and leave.

I didn't mind the whole being an arrogant ass type of thing, it was pretty entertaining during class. However, I didn't necessarily feel like he was a good enough teacher to be able to pull that shit off. For me it paralleled Dave Mentis in how the stories were great but the instruction was crap.

The way I saw him treating the tutors and students during a couple lead sessions really killed it. It was completely uncalled for and taken way too far

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 12:37PM 
Sergeant

Source: TJ South
john63401 wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:
john63401 wrote:
yes I understand the class is big and full of "kids"

But I am ADULT student..... have been bullied in basic training and on the job in the past when I was young and naive abt such things.
Have you taken an English class yet? You seem to need it.
Bullying has no place in teaching plain and simple. The greatest teacher of all time was Jesus and he never pushed his weight around.
Thats why the fastest spread of Christian thought was during the lifetime of Jesus, not forced by an Empire or by Saint Paul.
No they're not a business, they're a non profit that works at a loss to educate people.
The idea that "tenuring" allows one to be an ass and never get fired is exactly why the USA is in the shape its in and flawed.No its more thats hes a teacher in a weed out class, it happens. I'm sure America is fucked up because of good teachers having job security.

good luck to you, you are going to need it. Oh and please keep jesus off the forums, I talked with him the other night at our tuesday night poker game (before the strip club) and he doesn't like being talked about on the internet.

Thanks but I dont "need" your luck... Ive already made my "living" in the world having worked over 30 years.Then why are you in a physics class for freshmen in college? You couldn't support yourself in the world?

Last edited by CaptainCard on Thu 09-02-2010 3:26PM, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 1:38PM 
Sergeant

Source: Physics
>>Then why are you a physics class for freshmen in college? You couldn't support yourself in the world?<<

I am semi retired and taking classes because I WANT to.... not HAVE to.

You do realize that many people have "success" without a "degree", dont you?

I have a friend who is a garbage man and has had a route for 30 years.... and MUCH wealthier than any professor on this campus! And happier!

In fact, I have MANY blue collar friends who "smart" and "successful"..... but obviously not in the narrow terms you view "success" in!

There are MANY types of success.... a high paying, stress filled, demanding job is NOT the sum of "success". Many of the people I know in that situation are total FAILURES.... in their marriage, their HEALTH, their social skills, their WISDOM...... happiness.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 1:43PM 
Sergeant

Source: Physics
da_spork wrote:
Same thing happened when I took the class, except I was the one holding the papers out. He bitched about needing to bend over to grab them from my hand so he just left me holding onto them. The rest of the class consisted of everyone fighting with him over what the definition of "the isle" was, pretty pointless.

Anytime I saw him at a lead session he was yelling at the other students in charge of tutoring the phys23 students. Whenever a phys23 student would ask him for help there, he'd spend 5 minutes telling them how stupid they were, yell a little bit longer and leave.

I didn't mind the whole being an arrogant ass type of thing, it was pretty entertaining during class. However, I didn't necessarily feel like he was a good enough teacher to be able to pull that shit off. For me it paralleled Dave Mentis in how the stories were great but the instruction was crap.

The way I saw him treating the tutors and students during a couple lead sessions really killed it. It was completely uncalled for and taken way too far

I initially thought his "schtik" was in class lectures only.... but have noticed the above behavior in LEAD as well.

In fact I have noticed one or two "minions (his words)" in LEAD have "adopted" that style in subtle ways.... and it makes me wonder if UMR is inadvertently PRODUCING a bunch of ass hole "engineering bosses" for the future.... when in fact they should be producing servant leaders.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 2:08PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Holy crap. You're either a great troll or a horrible dumb person.

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 2:12PM 
Sergeant

john63401 wrote:
>>Then why are you a physics class for freshmen in college? You couldn't support yourself in the world?<<

I have a friend who is a garbage man and has had a route for 30 years.... and MUCH wealthier than any professor on this campus! And happier!

In fact, I have MANY blue collar friends who "smart" and "successful"..... but obviously not in the narrow terms you view "success" in!

There are MANY types of success.... a high paying, stress filled, demanding job is NOT the sum of "success". Many of the people I know in that situation are total FAILURES.... in their marriage, their HEALTH, their social skills, their WISDOM...... happiness.

Success without a degree? Humn I don't know anyone like that (except the 3 family members with 6 figure salaries with no official degrees)

So? People are different, if you want to be blue collar because that interests you do it, I find myself wanting something different.

Can your blue collar friends use English? I view success as living the life you want to lead, its a very hard line to cross actually.

You don't want a demanding job? Fine don't get one but its what my personal idea of success for myself is, I don't hold others to it but its a goal for me.

(I would also take a minute to talk to someone at the business school about MS&T being a business. Their laughter should brighten their day)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 2:13PM 
bertowned
bertowned

john63401 wrote:

Show me where somebody ever suggested that Blue collar workers weren't successful. (hint: nobody did) Don't play the "working class" card at random.

And if you're going to throw around the "I've been working 30 years" its a very legitimate question to ask why you're now coming to school. Especially when you complain about the class - it seems to suggest that you're not in the class for your own enjoyment, but rather are taking it as a necessary evil towards getting a degree.

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 3:21PM 
Sergeant

Source: University Center
CaptainCard wrote:
Then why are you a physics class for freshmen in college? You couldn't support yourself in the world?

I think I could support myself in the world if I was a physics class, because then I could charge people for my vast knowledge :D

PostPosted: Thu 09-02-2010 3:25PM 
Sergeant

Firestryfe wrote:
CaptainCard wrote:
Then why are you a physics class for freshmen in college? You couldn't support yourself in the world?

I think I could support myself in the world if I was a physics class, because then I could charge people for my vast knowledge :D

Oh oops, thats a wee bit embrassing if it actually happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 09-04-2010 11:59PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Also, I can't believe I missed this.

john63401 wrote:
You have education and knowledge I am sure..... but you have NO WISDOM. Wisdom is the greater gift son.

You have age, I am sure, but you haven't outgrown being a noob. Wisdom is reaching the point where you recognize when you don't know something. You have obviously yet to learn that there is much you haven't learned.