Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 12:23PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Columbia College?
PostPosted: Tue 02-08-2011 10:41PM 
Private

Source: Off Campus
Hey, I'm a slightly older student working full time with wife/kids ... bla bla bla..

Anyway, I've heard people talking about taking Calc 3 (primarily) at Columbia. I'm in Calc 1 now, and it's not too bad, so I'm wondering.. has anyone taken classes there? Is it detrimental to your degree progress (are you gonna be up shit creek) and does it really matter on your transcripts after you graduate?

I carried in about 40 hrs from night classes in the Army, so I've already got a lot of transfer credit, and I'm bottlenecking on my Calc courses (already taken everything without a Calc pre-req). I'd like to knock out Calc 2 and 3 this summer.

Thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Columbia College?
PostPosted: Wed 02-09-2011 2:20PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

procrastinator wrote:
Hey, I'm a slightly older student working full time with wife/kids ... bla bla bla..

Anyway, I've heard people talking about taking Calc 3 (primarily) at Columbia. I'm in Calc 1 now, and it's not too bad, so I'm wondering.. has anyone taken classes there? Is it detrimental to your degree progress (are you gonna be up shit creek) and does it really matter on your transcripts after you graduate?

I carried in about 40 hrs from night classes in the Army, so I've already got a lot of transfer credit, and I'm bottlenecking on my Calc courses (already taken everything without a Calc pre-req). I'd like to knock out Calc 2 and 3 this summer.

Thoughts?

procrastinator wrote:

Feel ya. Graduated last May with my BSME, I took one full year of CCIS classes (not math, though).

procrastinator wrote:
I'd like to knock out Calc 2 and 3 this summer.

One or the other, maybe. Both? Not gonna happen. Just forget it.

Taking the Calculus sequence at Columbia is a good plan for a lot of people, but don't really think of it as a time-saver or even a money-saver. At Columbia, Calculus 2 is split into 2a and 2b, classes which are each 8 weeks long--so you will still spend the 16 weeks on the course. Calculus 3 is the same way. Each half-course is a 3-hour class, so you're paying for 6 hours of class at Columbia all-told versus the 4 at UMR. Even with the slightly lower tuition (plus the extra break you will receive at Columbia being ex-military) it comes out as a wash, cost-wise.

That said, the classes at Columbia are generally lower-key, teach more of the basics and less of the exotic transforms, and there are plenty of UMR people there alongside you to study with. Plus they meet 1-2 nights a week and some people prefer that. If you do them at Columbia, go ahead and plan to pick up ALL of your math requirement out there (through DifEQ)--that way you won't be lost transferring between math programs. The UMR classes, as most people can tell you, are very very good at raping you; that alone is enough reason for most to switch to CCIS for the math.

Consider your major--if you are EE, you may want to do them at Rolla since you will appreciate the mathematical rigor later on. Most (most) other majors it doesn't matter nearly as much. For mechanical, expect to use Calculus 1 and 2 extensively in 4-5 classes, DifEQ in 3 classes, and Calculus 3 approximately never.

Something else you will need to consider since you've already brought in 40 hours is, will you be hitting the 60-hour transfer credit cap by doing this? You need to be careful and consult an advisor if you will--there is a certain amount of wiggle room but NEVER count on bringing in more than 75 unless you plan a double major. (YMMV, IANAA, etc.)

If you're most concerned about time, keep in mind that you can do Calculus 2 during a summer session, Calc 3 in Fall and DiffEq in Spring--if you take them all at Rolla, you can be done in a year, barring retakes. You will want to check availability of sessions at CCIS/Rolla, I think you'll find the schedule isn't nearly as friendly and if you get off of the program track, better luck next year.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed 02-09-2011 6:03PM 
Private

Great info, appreciate it. I didn't know CC still required 16 weeks per course. That was really the only plus in my book (8 week classes). I'm an EnvE btw, so Chemistry is my main focus.

I've heard from many people the complaint about the Math dep. here, and having only taken Math4/6 and Math14, I haven't seen anything to harsh yet. However, if I get into a class I'm generally pretty good at figuring out whether I'm in over my head or not within the first couple weeks. I'm going to try and stick it out with MST until I can't, or don't want to.

I'm here on GI Bill, so going to CCIS would actually cost me money if I did go. Not worth it if it doesn't save me any time.

In any case, thanks for the real scoop, it basically makes my decision for me.

Thanks man.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 02-13-2011 1:52AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I took DiffEQ at CCIS here in Rolla after getting bounced from the class the first time I took it. AFAIK, Calc 2 is the only one that is split in half, so be sure to keep that in mind. The course I took was by far easier than the option at Rolla, and I have no regrets.

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.