Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:26PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Obligatory Cubs Suck Thread
PostPosted: Fri 10-03-2008 7:01AM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
It's official, Happy 100 years, Chicago :)

Post subject: Re: Obligatory Cubs Suck Thread
PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 12:09AM 
Colonel

Source: TJ Hall
People still watch baseball?

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 7:40AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Physics
Quote:

Wow, your parents failed you bad...

Quote:
It's official, Happy 100 years, Chicago

Best post on here since October '06

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 8:32AM 
Brigadier General

ramsfan_365 wrote:
Quote:

Wow, your parents failed you bad...

Post season baseball not involving your home team is about as worthless as TV gets.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 8:33AM 
Drowning

Source: EE Building
Quote:
It's official, Happy 100 years, Chicago

Best post on here since October '06[/quote]

which was?

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 9:07AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
LostBoyz wrote:
Quote:
Best post on here since October '06

which was?

Didn't STL win the series?

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 9:11AM 
Drowning

did someone post about it?

even if they did, i cant see it being the best, i guess if you come here for sports news

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 5:25PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus

An oldie but goodie:

Quote:
Things that have happened since the last time the Cubs won a World Series Championship:

1. Radio was invented; Cubs fans got to hear their team lose.

2. TV was invented; Cubs fans got to see their team lose.

3. Baseball added 14 teams; Cubs fans get to see and hear their team lose to more clubs.

4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.

5. Haley's comet passed Earth twice.

6. Harry Caray was born....and died. Incredible, but true.

7. The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league.

8. Man landed on the moon, as have several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers.

9. Sixteen U.S. presidents were elected

10. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.

11. Prohibition was created and repealed.

12. The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered and became the subject of major motion pictures, the latter giving Cubs fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.

13. Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League.

14. Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team's future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.

15. A combination of 40 Summer and Winter Olympics have been held.

16. Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; several thanked Cubs pitchers.

17. Bell-bottoms came in style, went out of style and came back in.

18. The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks and the Florida Marlins have all won the World Series.

19. The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games; they lost the majority of them.

20. Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma and New Mexico were added to the Union.

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 7:18PM 
Corporal

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
As a Cubs fan from Chicago, I hate people saying and doing stuff like this. Yes, i know we sucked in the postseason. I'll be the first to admit it. We showed up in person but not in form. BUT...we did win 97 games in the regular season, which is something the Cardinals haven't done for a while. I do think that the Cardinals did better than expected, and the Cubs did worse than expected, but overall, it's W-L that counts. And I stay behind my Cubs no matter what. Am I disappointed in them? Yes. Am I still a fan? Of course. I've been through some hard times as a fan, but there is no curse. The only people who say there's a curse is either the media (because they need something to talk about and say "I told you so" when we lose), or Cardinal fans that don't have anything good to say about their own team. Cubs fans live and die with the team, but a lot of Cardinals fans get on the bandwagon once the team is doing well, and stop paying attention when they lose. So next time you say that the Cubs choke, I want you to look at the Cardinals record and notice that they finished in 4th place in the division. I'd like this to be a friendly baseball chat. Let's talk baseball.

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 7:24PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Typical Cubs fan, :cry:

"Well, we may suck, but at least we are better than the Cardinals in whatever-whatever."

Regardless of whether or not the Cardinals out performed the Cubs or the cubs out-performed the Cardinals, the fact remains that many, MANY teams have won the world series since the last time the Cubs have, even the other Chicago team. If the best you can do is compare your hometown team only to the Cardinals to make yourself feel better, I almost pity you.

And along those lines, the even if the cardinals haven't played very well lately, they have won several World Series titles in the last century.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 7:38PM 
Corporal

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
"I do think that the Cardinals did better than expected, and the Cubs did worse than expected."

I said many of those things against the Cardinals because I'm assuming most of the posters so far are Cardinal fans. Most people who go to this school are. If you don't want me to talk about the Cardinals, I won't. And I do admit that the Cubs sucked in the postseason, but as a baseball fan you have to admit that the Cubs regular season play was really good. Yes, we didn't show up for the postseason, but I don't blame that on any curse. And the only thing you can come up with is the fact that we haven't won the WS since 1908. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that. People just like repeating it over and over because they can't come up with any other bad thing to say about the Cubs.

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 11:25PM 
Major General

Sobenergy wrote:
Cubs fans live and die with the team, but a lot of Cardinals fans get on the bandwagon once the team is doing well, and stop paying attention when they lose.

Absolutely untrue. The Cardinals consistently attract over 3.5 million fans from an area that is insignificant compared to Chicago. Yes, I'm a Cards fan, but I don't hate the Cubs like most. Just don't go spewing your crap around. The Cards finished 4th in the division with a record capable of winning the NL West division from the Dodgers which, by the way, just beat the shit out of your Cubs.

And as to the real reasons the Cubs lost and not some curse (which, by the way, no real baseball fan talks about)?

1.) Big Z can't pitch in a big game. He can no hit the road-weary Astros that have been hit by a hurricane, sure, but doesn't have a win in 5 postseason starts.

2.) Defense.

3.) You need a reliable left handed hitter. Postseason level righties are going to walk on you every year if you pull out that lineup.

I am a baseball fan. I regularly watch at least pieces of about 200+ games a season. What I saw was pitiful. I hope that misplay by Derek Lee shows up every time people talk about him as a Gold Glove caliber defender. You want to talk baseball, let's talk baseball, but don't give me the crap about Cards fans being bandwagon fans.

/pissed off baseball fan

PostPosted: Mon 10-06-2008 11:38PM 
Brigadier General

I am from St. Louis and am a bandwagon cards fan. I also know several others that are as well. STL in general is a bandwagon town.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 10-07-2008 12:00AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
kjk437 wrote:
Absolutely untrue. The Cardinals consistently attract over 3.5 million fans from an area that is insignificant compared to Chicago. Yes, I'm a Cards fan, but I don't hate the Cubs like most. Just don't go spewing your crap around. The Cards finished 4th in the division with a record capable of winning the NL West division from the Dodgers which, by the way, just beat the shit out of your Cubs.

Records mean nothing. See: Royals vs. any good team. And how are the Cardinals doing this post-season?

kjk437 wrote:
And as to the real reasons the Cubs lost and not some curse (which, by the way, no real baseball fan talks about)?

lololol listen to you. That seems pretty inaccurate to me, but hey, I guess you're the one who decides who the 'real' fans are?

kjk437 wrote:
1.) Big Z can't pitch in a big game. He can no hit the road-weary Astros that have been hit by a hurricane, sure, but doesn't have a win in 5 postseason starts.

2.) Defense.

3.) You need a reliable left handed hitter. Postseason level righties are going to walk on you every year if you pull out that lineup.

I am a baseball fan. I regularly watch at least pieces of about 200+ games a season. What I saw was pitiful. I hope that misplay by Derek Lee shows up every time people talk about him as a Gold Glove caliber defender.

Can't argue.

kjk437 wrote:
You want to talk baseball, let's talk baseball, but don't give me the crap about Cards fans being bandwagon fans.

/pissed off baseball fan

cmptrnrd16 wrote:
I am from St. Louis and am a bandwagon cards fan. I also know several others that are as well. STL in general is a bandwagon town.

QFT. just because people go to games doesn't mean they aren't bandwagon fans. I go to Royals games and could care less about the team. But would I hop on that bandwagon if they started winning? You're damn right I would.

PostPosted: Tue 10-07-2008 12:24AM 
Major General

berto wrote:
Records mean nothing.

Yay! You got my point!