* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:59AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Motorcycle Work
PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 2:43AM 
post whore
post whore

Source: Off Campus
Motorcycle crew - do you have any recommendations for places to get work done around here? I'm pretty close to needing a new rear tire. Optimally I'd like to get a new one by Friday - I'm not going to be comfortable riding 200 miles to KC after commencement so if it's not done by then I'll have to find another way to get it home :(

Google gives me this:
Stahalman Power Sports
Interstate Motorcycles
6th St Choppers
Carl's Cycle Repair

For what it's worth, I'm riding a 250 Kawasaki Ninja.

Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Work
PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 6:49AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
None of the places around here are very good, IMO, they charge too much and don't have good customer service attitudes. Cafe Racer in KC is awesome. But if you have to get it done around here, I've used Stahalman Powersports down 63 and Interstate Motorcycles over off I-44 towards St. James. I like Interstate Motorcycles a little better just because they are a smaller shop and Stahalman rubs me the wrong way. But really, for getting a tire on quickly, it's probably going to come down to price and primarily who has your tire in stock. Also, it's cheaper if you bring in just the rear wheel rather than the whole bike.

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 9:55PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Carl's cycle was the best shop ever, including all the car shops I've been to. I wanted to start taking my car to him because he was so good but he only did bikes and ATVs. I got rid of my bike last year and hadn't visited him for a long time. I drove by to see him recently and the shop was empty, website down, and phone number didn't work. Don't know what happened to him but I sure wish he was around since he was such a good guy in general.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 05-14-2009 6:35PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Carl's is closed and don't you dare go to Stahlman's. 6th Street Choppers does customizing work but I don't know if they can put on a tire. If it were me, and I know it's a stretch, I'd take it to Waynesville and have it done there but if you don't have it done yet, you probably won't ride it home anyway.

My favorite shop around here is Frank's Honda/Kawasaki in Jeff City, they'll treat you right for a good price. But you've gotta get it there, you could do it if you kept it under 60 but those are some pretty good twisties up Hwy 63. How bad is the tire?

PostPosted: Thu 05-14-2009 7:11PM 
post whore
post whore

I think I jumped the gun on deciding not to ride it home - it's just now getting flush with the wear indicator, and only in the center (lots of highway riding). Definitely going to get a new tire ASAP when I get back to KC though.

PostPosted: Fri 05-15-2009 12:44PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Were it me, depending what tire you get, I'd almost rather ride a mostly worn-down tire than a brand new tire for the first 50 miles. They come out showroom-slick. Get a little mileage on it and it'll fix that.