Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:27AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Recent Grads--still looking for work?
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2010 2:53PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
Just wondering who here fits into that category.

After three months of making-it-by at AutoZone and interviewing whenever I got a chance, I finally landed my first real engineering job out of college. I start at the end of this month. Waiting to hear back from places was R-O-U-G-H. I first applied to this particular position in April when I was still going to school. So hang in there!

Post subject: Re: Recent Grads--still looking for work?
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2010 6:10PM 
Drowning

ya I was home for 6 months before I found something, thing is that it was available the whole time I just didn't think much about it. I am working at chrysler, since january actually, and it couldn't be better. My only regret is not applying sooner.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2010 7:04PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
I've been looking for a job for over 8 months now, and I think I have something, but it isn't exactly engineering (yet). All the 160+ engineering jobs I've applied for have been dead ends. Having an IDE degree without any support from the university pretty much sucks. Anyway, I may be taking over a Geothermal Heat Pump business soon, and from there I can shape it into something more... engineering related.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 08-20-2010 6:29PM 
Major

been looking for forever, directly applying got me nowhere, soon as I posted my resume on monster.com, bam. three people call me. Interviewing for a job in San Diego with General Atomics, hoping it goes well. I'll vouch for the job search being crazy rough. gl hf all.

PostPosted: Wed 08-25-2010 4:25PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Nope.

Actually stumbled onto one in the middle of last semester, wasn't really looking (grad school) but figured what the hell.

And yes, I am posting just to do a bit of gloating.

PostPosted: Wed 08-25-2010 5:55PM 
Drowning

Kamakazi wrote:
Nope.

Actually stumbled onto one in the middle of last semester, wasn't really looking (grad school) but figured what the hell.

in that case, I make more money than you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 08-25-2010 8:36PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

LostBoyz wrote:
Kamakazi wrote:
Nope.

Money can't buy you love LB.

Although I hear hookers are cheap as hell in Detroit, so maybe you can if you can deal with the side effects.

PostPosted: Wed 08-25-2010 10:20PM 
Colonel

Kamakazi wrote:
Nope.

yeah... graduating in December. Accepted a job offer today.

PostPosted: Thu 08-26-2010 8:24AM 
Major General

got a job within 3 months of graduating.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-26-2010 7:43PM 
Drowning

Kamakazi wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:
Kamakazi wrote:
Nope.

Money can't buy you love LB.

Although I hear hookers are cheap as hell in Detroit, so maybe you can if you can deal with the side effects.

I don't know anything about that, but we did just get a penthouse club, its in a really shady area though. Might be time for an adventure

Student loans are paid off, I celebrated by buying a new 360 and a kindle.

I also went from contract to direct hire and it lines up so that I get paid next friday, and the 2 subsequent fridays which will be awesome

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-26-2010 10:27PM 
Colonel

Been working as a lab manager for a soils field lab. Not quite engineering or in my field, but it'll work for now. Not that I would have probably found anything immediately, but my gf got a good one for her before we graduated and seemed like a good start. I have been looking for something a little more mechie though.

PostPosted: Fri 08-27-2010 11:13PM 
Major General

I got a job offer about a month before graduation, accepted it, still working there today.

Just a handy tip, if you're only using the COC and career fairs, definitely considering expanding your search. I went to all the career fairs and gave my resume to anyone who would take it and submitted my resume to all sorts of jobs on the COC search thing online, I don't think I got anything, not even a call from any of them, save for one on-campus interview the day after a fair that admittedly didn't go well. I ended up having 4 on-site interviews after a couple rounds of phone interviews (3 flew me out there, the 4th, and the one I ultimately got an offer and accepted, was local in St. Louis) and none of them were jobs I applied for via the COC, they were all positions I went out on my own on to apply for. I'm not saying the COC is useless for everyone, but if you're only using the COC as a resource, you're missing out. As always, YMMV.

PostPosted: Sat 08-28-2010 8:44PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

devil wrote:
I got a job offer about a month before graduation, accepted it, still working there today.

Just a handy tip, if you're only using the COC and career fairs, definitely considering expanding your search. I went to all the career fairs and gave my resume to anyone who would take it and submitted my resume to all sorts of jobs on the COC search thing online, I don't think I got anything, not even a call from any of them, save for one on-campus interview the day after a fair that admittedly didn't go well. I ended up having 4 on-site interviews after a couple rounds of phone interviews (3 flew me out there, the 4th, and the one I ultimately got an offer and accepted, was local in St. Louis) and none of them were jobs I applied for via the COC, they were all positions I went out on my own on to apply for. I'm not saying the COC is useless for everyone, but if you're only using the COC as a resource, you're missing out. As always, YMMV.

Yeah I did that as well.

And ended up getting a job from a listing on CareerBuilder.

PostPosted: Sun 08-29-2010 12:10AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Indeed.com was my source. And I start Monday. God that took forever.

PostPosted: Mon 08-30-2010 10:41AM 
Colonel

For me the key was internships. My first one was doing PLC and manufacturing support, which I had no real interest in but it got me the experience I needed for other internships I wanted. Two later I found the job I really enjoyed, worked really hard, and got an offer for after graduation.

The other part of it was being actively involved in extracurriculars. Interviews blow regardless of how well you are prepared for them, but the more experiences you have to draw upon, the better. All of the situational/behavioral questions I've answered over the last 3 years for internships have always been drawn from my experiences in my fraternity, honors organizations I've been an officer in, or other organizations.

I dunno, I laugh at the people in my fraternity who don't do anything outside the house and then complain when they don't get internships or job offers when they graduate; or get laid off after a couple months and spend months upon months trying to find a new job.