overclockers.com forum topic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDU7Xoju4LM[/youtube]

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: newegg ships fake i7 procs
PostPosted: Sat 03-06-2010 8:38PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
Could have easily have been Tigerdirect or any other company. Doesn't sound like it's there fault. Either they're supplier or someone who handled these skimmed the 300 processors off the delivery.

300 i7 920 CPUs were fake out of 2000. Newegg sells the 920's for 288.99 each with free shipping. 300 x 288.99 = $86,697.00

PostPosted: Sat 03-06-2010 10:16PM 
Lieutenant

Source: RC II
Overclock.net! Represent!

http://www.overclock.net/rants-raves/68 ... etail.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 12:14AM 
Major

Anyone read this?

Quote:
UPDATE 03/05/2010 - 7:52PM CST:

DBA Public Relations has contacted us with the following statement.

"Newegg is aware of a shipping error that occurred with certain recent orders of the Intel Core i7-920 CPU. After investigating the issue internally it appears one of our long term partners mistakenly shipped a small number of demo boxes instead of functional units. Our customer service team has already begun proactively reaching out to the affected customers. In line with our commitment to ensure total customer satisfaction, we are doing everything in our power to resolve the issue as soon as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to our customers."

For the record, I am not buying that story.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 12:52AM 
Major General

I have no reason to disbelieve NewEgg when they say it was a supplier error. They are a reputable company and would not want to intentionally do anything to harm their reputation. It really does just sound like a supplier fuck up. It happens.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 12:56AM 
Major

Worseley wrote:
Could have easily have been Tigerdirect or any other company.
QFT.

The fact that NewEgg openly informed their customers of the potential problem with their order and offered specialized methods of communication to resolve the issue proves that they have superior customer support and want to keep it that way.

The Egg's response to this issue actually reinforces my customer loyalty with them... so take that, zerofuck!

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 1:45AM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

whats funny to me is that this feels EXACTLY to me like talking to mac fanbois, except i don't dislike newegg. i just don't understand the cult following it's acquired. if this happened to tiger, everyone would jump down its throat in an instant "because they suck" and no one knows/has a solid reason why.

also, i would say that that PR statement is damage control, yes they are trying to prevent damage to their reputation. they are doing so by deflecting the blame. whether or not they are telling the truth is impossible to determine unless a third party probes into their internal affairs which will not happen.

i guess my question, is why do people hate tiger? shipment errors happen. i've had mulitple DOA components from BOTH companies. They both replace/refund(non-cpu items) the stuff, no questions asked.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 2:00AM 
Drowning

i don't hate tiger direct, if they have a better deal I will go there. As far as casually buying something, their site is atrocious. The only time I go there is when linked by deal sites. I usually use newegg to browse for stuff I might want, sometimes I buy from them sometimes not.

To the point of the story, I don't think they were purposely selling fake/demo precessors and trying to pass them off. I think the market of people who buy $300 processors are going to know if it wasn't exactly what they ordered.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 2:10AM 
Major General

zeroluck wrote:
i guess my question, is why do people hate tiger? shipment errors happen. i've had mulitple DOA components from BOTH companies. They both replace/refund(non-cpu items) the stuff, no questions asked.

TigerDirect rebates. End of Story.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 2:11AM 
Major

zeroluck wrote:
whats funny to me is that this feels EXACTLY to me like talking to mac fanbois

'Scuse me.. them's fightin' words.

zeroluck wrote:
except i don't dislike newegg.

Sure didn't sound that way originally.
zeroluck wrote:
i just don't understand the cult following it's acquired.

Newegg has a cult? Maybe you're just confusing 'cult' with 'large customer base who has had such good experience with Newegg that many have become repeat customers.'

zeroluck wrote:
if this happened to tiger, everyone would jump down its throat in an instant "because they suck" and no one knows/has a solid reason why.

*shrug* You may be right, but I've always gone to Newegg.com because a) I prefer that website over TigerDirect's (old and new), and b) ages ago when I built a computer, Newegg always had better prices than TigerDirect did.

Besides, does TigerDirect even exist anymore?

zeroluck wrote:
also, i would say that that PR statement is damage control, yes they are trying to prevent damage to their reputation.

It's a business. No other business on the planet wouldn't employ damage control methods in a similar situation unless they're just plain stupid. At the end of the day, warm feelings and smiles don't run the world - the almighty dollar does, so they have much of a choice.

zeroluck wrote:
they are doing so by deflecting the blame. whether or not they are telling the truth is impossible to determine

Yes they are deflecting the blame, yes it's hard to say for certain what the truth is (a.k.a. who's to blame), but no, I don't think their deflection should be looked upon as them frantically pointing the finger at someone else to draw suspicion away from them. Maybe this could have been prevented by QC employees in Newegg's warehouses, but then again maybe not. Did you see the pics and read the narratives of those who received the fakes? Yes, they did find some typo's on the box, but they did agree that at first glance nothing seemed amiss. Do you honestly think that a warehouse employee should be responsible for examining every single word/picture/symbol on every single box that comes into their warehouse?

zeroluck wrote:
unless a third party probes into their internal affairs which will not happen.
You make Newegg sound like Uncle Sam. You really believe Newegg thought "Hey, I bet we could make lots of $$$ if we just ship out some plastic fakes instead of the real deal... no one will EVER know!" ? Someone put a little time and effort into this hoax - this wasn't a warehouse employee quietly slipping a few items into his lunchbox.

zeroluck wrote:
i guess my question, is why do people hate tiger?

Do people really hate TigerDirect? Mebbe they just heard of others' good experiences, decided to give it a shot, and became hooked? I personally haven't really bought any electronics/etc. online recently, so I have no idea how the two compete price-wise, but in the past I found Newegg to be cheaper therefore I automatically start my research there now.

EDIT: Forgot to comment about this:
Quote:
Besides, does TigerDirect even exist anymore?

I say that because I can never remember who's the parent company now, I just think it's stupid to have mirror images setup at circuitcity.com, compusa.com, and tigerdirect.com (maybe I'm missing 1+?).

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 2:46AM 
bertowned
bertowned

Newegg's website is better, and they tell me exactly what I'm going to get (could you ask for better pictures?). Not to mention me, and everyone I've ever known to buy from them, has had good experiences. Their customer service is also top notch from what I've seen.

If you want to call a satisfied customer a fanboy, then you're just being a moron. Newegg isn't BestBuy, and just because it's popular doesn't mean its dumbed down, or priced up for the masses. It's popular for a good reason. I don't think I've seen newegg advertise outside of the occasional tech magazine. Their success all seems to be word-of-mouth.

Also - fuck tigerdirect. I'm tired of seeing their lame overpriced shitty computers on late night infomercials.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 3:43AM 
Major

amd2800barton wrote:
Their success all seems to be word-of-mouth.

QFT.

I've had to go through Newegg's RMA process before (it happens) with a defective PSU I received. I called up customer service and started complaining about random things and how it was my first experience ordering online.. basically a bunch of BS just trying to get some free shipping or something out of the deal :p. They ended up paying for a) my return shipping, b) overnight shipping of c) a slightly higher-wattage PSU than the one I was RMA'ing.

Needless to say, I've recommended Newegg to friends, family, co-workers and pets when they mention buying electronics/etc.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 5:02AM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
Newegg is great. I have only had one 'bad' shipment ever. My parents needed an external HDD for backup and I ordered a SATA hard drive and USB external housing (for SATA drives). The case that arrived was for IDE drives (same design). I sent them a email and they had the correct one shipped to me later that day and told me to do what I wanted with the IDE one. It didn't take me asking for anything special to get this done, they just made me even happier with them.

Looking at the pictures the boxes look really close. If you expect someone to look at every little box that goes through all their shipping centers, you're crazy. They let some bad packages through and are fixing it, end of story. People seem the be taking this too far.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 11:22AM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

If this is actually from newegg,
Quote:
After investigating the issue internally it appears one of our long term partners mistakenly shipped a small number of demo boxes instead of functional units.

and this is actually the box the "demo boxes" came in
ImageImage

then I think Intel needs to hire new marketing staff to make their demo boxes

also, heretic: thank you for fixing my avatar
everyone else: excellent discussion

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 12:05PM 
Brigadier General

Following the forums that are talking about this. It wasn't a mistaken shipment. They were scammed and said that to cover their ass and keep the blowback from getting larger. Wouldn't you think Intel would pressure NewEgg to try to keep this as quiet as possible?

No demo box's would have typos on the box, fake security labels (or even real barcodes). This was a simple scam that someone did when intercepting their shipment. Newegg doesn't want to be known as a online seller who sells these, so they said what they needed to and are probably cooperating with authorities as this probably happened overseas before the shipment arrived in the states.