Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:36AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: DNS
PostPosted: Mon 01-03-2011 10:34AM 
Sergeant

Source: Off Campus
Anyone else part of AT&T's massive failure on the 30th? AT&T in St. Louis lost one of their Domain Name Servers for 2 hours or so, between 6:30ish and 8:30ish. Apparently, if you just changed your DNS, it would fix it. Unfortunately, I didn't know that. There appears to be no news about it, which seems strange to me.

So, for the sake of never having to deal with that kind of thing ever again, what're your preferred domain name servers? and their IPs, so I don't have to use a DNS to find them?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: DNS
PostPosted: Mon 01-03-2011 11:15AM 
Captain

Ha, that makes a lot of sense. I was browsing the internets and BAM. I couldn't connect to any websites, but Steam chat still worked!

Anyways, on my laptop... I used this program Namebench that searches for the fastest DNS server closest to you. Well, awhile back I set them on my Laptop and have never had a problem... Unless those DNS went down. Give that program a try and it should give you a list of like 10 or so "top hits" that you can add.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-03-2011 12:46PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
OpenDNS

Google

Used both and have not noticed a difference in speed. I keep them in a note on my phone so I always have them (has come in handy more than I thought).

Namebench worked well when I tried it a while ago

PostPosted: Mon 01-03-2011 1:31PM 
Captain

Google's good!

I suggest you either your computer's default DNS to Google, or you set your router's default to Google and set your computer's DNS to the router.

I always recommend people use a DNS provider other than their default-ISP-supplied DNS. I don't like going through some sketchy search engine if I type an address incorrectly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-03-2011 3:59PM 
Major

I've been using OpenDNS for a long time. If you've got multiple computers behind a router, most routers (my ancient Netgear one applies, anyway) have the option of either passing along the DNS server(s) returned from your ISP or allowing you to specify them yourself. In other words, you could change it in one place and it would affect any computer/device that gets DNS settings automatically.

I remember looking at Google's DNS a long time ago, but I went with OpenDNS simply because that allows you to do some filtering on well known not-so-good sites.

PostPosted: Mon 01-03-2011 8:53PM 
Sergeant

Thank you. I'm running namebench right now, and I've got OpenDNS and Google's IPs written down.

Related question: if my router is set to use OpenDNS, can I still set my DNS to Google, and just use Google on this one computer? Or is the router going to use one DNS automatically, and only one? I feel like this is overly complicated. Better: a specific example. I live in a house with 8 other people. I don't want to change their DNS, but I want to change mine. We all go through one router. Is that possible?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-03-2011 10:06PM 
Major General

mhaqcks wrote:
Thank you. I'm running namebench right now, and I've got OpenDNS and Google's IPs written down.

Related question: if my router is set to use OpenDNS, can I still set my DNS to Google, and just use Google on this one computer? Or is the router going to use one DNS automatically, and only one? I feel like this is overly complicated. Better: a specific example. I live in a house with 8 other people. I don't want to change their DNS, but I want to change mine. We all go through one router. Is that possible?

Open your network devices and goto the properties of your ethernet/wireless interface. Click on IPv4 and click Properties. Choose "Use the following DNS server addresses" and enter your IPs of choice.

Profile E-mail