Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 11:23AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I need a new computer....
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 9:05PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
...well, i don't really need one but i'm looking to spend some of my hard-earned cash and a new computer would be nice.
My old Dell with a small 10 gig HD, 400 mhz processor, and 128 mb of memory is a bit outdated. Would be nice to get a faster computer with a bigger HD so i can play more games, store more media, and generally waste more time.

I'm thinking a system with roughly these specs:

80-120 gig HD
512 mb ram
2.0-2.6 gHz processor

I would rather buy a custom-built computer from a online place, being that i have a good monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, CD burner, printer, ect. I don't need the extra crap, and am trying to save money.

I've got $500-$600 to spend on this. Less is better.

My roomate had a computer from these guys. Didn't seem to be quite as well built as my Dell, but he seemed to like it and it looks good for the price. This is the one i was looking at:
http://www.fticomputer.com/cgis/newspec ... us&AC=NONE

Any other suggestions for a good budget computer would be greatly appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 10:01PM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
I'd say build your own, anyone can do it really. Also, if you need help, there are plenty of people who would be more than willing to provide assistance.

Here's What I pieced together from Newegg.com :

Antec SLK3700 Case w/ SL350 Psu $64
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton Retail Boxed $80
Shuttle AN35N NForce2 Motherboard $54
Saphirre Radeon 9600 128mb $94
All Components PC2700 256mb X 2 $76
Samsung 160gig 7200rpm HD $92
Microsoft Works Suite 2004 $71
Symantec Norton System Works 2003 $20
Windows XP Home $90

Free Shipping on everything

Total 640.99.

This is more than you were looking to spend. However, this system also includes better componets:

NForce2 chipset motherboard instead of SIS
Radeon 9600 instead of onboard video
512mb PC2700 (256mb * 2 for dual channel) instead of 1 512mb of PC2100
160gig HD instead of 80 gig
High quality case and PSU
Newer versions of software

Now, if you are not morally or legally opposed to using pirated software, cutting out the OS and applications drops the price down to $460.

You will not get one all inclusive warranty but each individual componet carries a manufacturer warrant of > 1 year. (Lifetime on the memory, 3yrs on the HD).

A great deal IMHO, plus you could upgrade a few of the components if you'd like to get even better performance and still be well within your budget.

Last edited by Stumbles on Sun 06-27-2004 10:06PM, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 10:02PM 
Colonel

Are you adverse to buying parts and assembling it yourself? Also, what components can you recycle from your old computer (CD-ROM/CD-RW, floppy drive, case, powersupply, video card, etc.)?

Off the top of my head:

Mobo: ASUS A7V8X-X, $59
Proc: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, $138
Memory: Geil 512MB DDR PC-3200, $85
HDD: Seagate 120GB, 8MB Cache, $91
-----------------------------
Total: $373

If you can't recycle your old case a new beige box should cost about $50 with a 300W power supply. You should be able to use your old video card until you decide what you want to upgrade to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 10:15PM 
Major

GenPFault wrote:
Are you adverse to buying parts and assembling it yourself? Also, what components can you recycle from your old computer (CD-ROM/CD-RW, floppy drive, case, powersupply, video card, etc.)?

Off the top of my head:

Mobo: ASUS A7V8X-X, $59
Proc: AMD Athlon XP 3000+, $138
Memory: Geil 512MB DDR PC-3200, $85
HDD: Seagate 120GB, 8MB Cache, $91
-----------------------------
Total: $373

If you can't recycle your old case a new beige box should cost about $50 with a 300W power supply. You should be able to use your old video card until you decide what you want to upgrade to.

Sounds pretty good, but it seems like he definately needs a new Vid Card. Plus I think it would be beneficial to go with a NF2 board and 2 256mb sticks of memory for the dual channel capablities. The 160 gig Samsung I picked only has 2mb cache, so its a capacity vs. speed debate on the HD (don't think it would make much of a noticeable difference).

In addition, he will need a decent heatsink to cool that OEM proc.

However, I highly reccomend against going with a new "beige box". Cases and especially PSUs are highly critical pieces of equipment for any system. I doubt that XP 3000+ would play nice with the PSU in a $50 beige box for any decent amount of time (in addition to all of his other components).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 11:13PM 
Colonel

I agree that the power supply does matter, but you can put it in pretty much whatever box you want, as long as it has adequate ventilation. And as long as he doesn't get an absolutely top-of-the-line video card or put in dozens of hard drives, a 300W power supply should work ok. Of course we would argue about the manufacturer of said power supply well into the wee hours of the morning :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-27-2004 11:15PM 
Major

GenPFault wrote:
I agree that the power supply does matter, but you can put it in pretty much whatever box you want, as long as it has adequate ventilation. And as long as he doesn't get an absolutely top-of-the-line video card or put in dozens of hard drives, a 300W power supply should work ok. Of course we would argue about the manufacturer of said power supply well into the wee hours of the morning :)

Antec, Enermax, HEC, PC Power and Cooling (the best, but OUCH pricey) Fortron, Thermaltakes and a few other brands are the only ones I will trust. Made the mistake of buying a POS generic PSU once and paid the price with a dead motherboard.

My 350watt HEC (AKA Antec PP352x) is awesome.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 7:24AM 

Source: Somewhere
hey! how about this one :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 9:23AM 
Major

Source: TJ South
i have an antec 250W in this case and it's damn near bulletproof. the system i have hooked up to it is as follows:

MSI MS-6738 Pro Slot 1 mainboard
Pentium-III (Katmai) 450 mhz overclocked to 575 (128x4.5)
Coolermaster dual fan slot 1 HSF
512MB PC-133 SDRAM
64MB nVidia GeForce 4 MX420
4 hard disks:
4GB Samsung (4200 RPM, 256kb cache)
6GB Western Digital (5400 RPM, 512kb cache)
8GB Seagate (5400 RPM, 512kb cache)
120GB Western Digital (7200 RPM, 8MB cache)
52X cd reader

and pretty much every PCI slot is full (ethernet, sound card, tv tuner, HD controller (needed with the 120GB HD). This PS hasn't crapped yet, and it's about 2 years old.

[[Th3_C124zY_P31250|\|]]
[not at UMR for a year... i need money first]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 2:35PM 
Major General

Wow....this got a lot of replies! Thanks for the help.

I have no problem building one myself. I think i know enough i could tackle it easily enough, but have to ask a few questions. It have always been told it is often the same price or cheaper to buy one already built though, since the computer companies get bulk discounts on the parts.

The case on my Dell is pretty small and cramped on the inside, so i would rather not re-use it. I could proably use the PSU again, and i was already planning on using the CD burner drive in the computer.

I wouldn't mind using pirated software (hell i have a crapload of stolen mp3's....), but i really don't know how to crack a copy of XP.

I might just wait until i get up to Rolla to either buy or build this beast.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 4:14PM 

Source: Somewhere
lukecp wrote:
I wouldn't mind using pirated software (hell i have a crapload of stolen mp3's....), but i really don't know how to crack a copy of XP.

there's a cracked copy of winxp pro floating out there somewhere on seek. it did me fine. im assuming you're not on campus so yeah, you'll probably have to wait til next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 4:36PM 
Major

if you're still a student, you can dl it free from msdnaaonline.

for cheap systems, it's better to get the dell-tv $399 deal. but if you want a versatile and/or powerful system, do it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-01-2004 9:37AM 
Major

Source: TJ South
lukecp:

you don't want to use the dell psu again. they switch around some connectors on the atx supply so it keeps the system semi-proprietary. you put another motherboard on that psu and it'll burn it, likewise if you buy another psu and put it on the dell mobo it'll burn it up. I've had a couple friends fry parts because of dell's proprietary crap. Oh, and i'd be willing to build the system for ya for pizza money. I built all of the machines that my family uses and they run great and have zero problems.

[[Th3_C124zY_P31250|\|]]
[not at UMR for a year... i need money first]

Profile E-mail