Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 04-18-2024 9:03PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Using a router to get internet...
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 8:29PM 

Source: Somewhere
I'm trying to get my router to work on the campus network, I registered the MAC address listed on the other side of the router, but the "i" internet light on my WGR614 NetGear router is staying orange, and won't turn green (thus connected to the internet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 8:34PM 
Colonel

Location: No one's really sure what became of Castorite after graduation

Source: Off Campus
Has the registration process completed on the UMR servers? I remember the DHCP servers taking a painfully long time to update when a large number of people (freshman network stampede) registered their MAC addresses at the same time.

Edit: Additionally, do you have the firmware on the router set up to request a DHCP address or a PPPoE connection? UMR uses no-frills DHCP. Just something to doublecheck.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 8:55PM 
Spanish

Source: VPN
push comes to shove, if DHCP is being a royal pain in the ass, just temporarily use static ip's. You'll have to know your subnet, but that's pretty much it

ip: 131.151.xxx.(some number)
broadcast: 131.151.xxx.255
netmask: 255.255.255.0
dns: 131.151.254.243 (this one definately works)
131.151.1.37 (131.151.1.35 maybe?)
wins: 131.151.65.253

I ran static ip's for a little over 3 sememsters before UMR-IT finally shutdown my ethernet jacks.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 9:32PM 
Colonel

heretic^ wrote:
ip: 131.151.xxx.(some number)
broadcast: 131.151.xxx.255
netmask: 255.255.255.0
This is only partially correct. On a lot of the subnets UMR uses 23-bit netmasks. Your netmask would be 255.255.254.0 instead of what you posted. Additionally, your broadcast address *might* be one digit higher in the variable field depending on what IP address you assigned yourself.

There used to be a publically accessable list of UMR IP ranges and netmasks, but the one I referenced got hidden from outside access. All the lists floating around based off that list are going to be from "back then" and I know the list is going to be out of date soon when UMR IT shuts down UC-West and adds the Havener center and new dorms.

Also, I seem to remember talk of IT wanting to put into place a gargantuan NAT device. Discussion linked here. Anybody know what's happening with that?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 10:10PM 

Its all DHCP automatic settings, etc.

i connect fine to the router, but I can't get the trouter to connect to the internet. I continue to get the yellow/orange blinky light instead of the green... hrm... guess i might check the netgear site and the UMR it site to see if I can figure something out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 10:16PM 

Wow, I'm retarted, i should have read the back of the router. Yellow means its connected, but at 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps, I just assumed yellow meant it couldn't connect.

It still says i need to register... hrm..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 10:36PM 

Alright, i got my laptop on the internet, so its working.

I changed it from "use default mac address" to "use computer Mac" address and then I registered the computers mac address.

So either the routers default MAC address wasn't whats listed on the router, or maybe one of you can explain what the problem was/is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 11:09PM 
Colonel

I don't know much about the physiology of Netgear routers, so I'm giving this my best guess.

Did you ever attempt to renew the DHCP lease that the router had acquired? Even if your registration had successfully completed, you'd still be on the VLAN for non-registered users until you explicitly renewed the lease or your lease expired (thus requiring your router to attempt to renew). Both of which would net you a new "registered user" lease from the servers.

Was your router just forwarding packets or was it doing NAT? It should've worked if it was strictly doing NAT, but you would need to register the computers if it was simply passing packets.

I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head. Anyone else?

Semi-off topic, it's pretty cool that they've got that VLAN set up. I'd heard a couple of the IT guys talking about implementing it a while back, but I never heard when it was activated. Back in the old days, we had to register our systems in the computer lab or the guy with a working connection down the hall. A person's machines were dutifly ignored by the DHCP servers making it a pain-in-the-ass to figure out if you didn't know how things worked. Back in the really old days, people had static IPs. Back in the really, really old days, all you had was dial-up from the dorms. Back in the (really)^3 old days...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 11:25PM 
Colonel

Hm. Out of curiosity, I wonder what the DHCP lease time is on the unregistered VLAN. Would somebody with an unregistered *nix box hook into the network, run dhcpcd, and post the DHCP lease time related lines of /var/log/debug (or whatever's appropriate) here, please?

Profile E-mail