Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:32AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Computer Help: Pop-up Problems
PostPosted: Sun 08-15-2004 1:17AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
Okay, so I have these nasty pop-up things that always come up when ever I do anything over the net, not just surfing but messaging and downloading as well. I am pretty sure they are imbedded in my C drive, but I don't know where to do to get rid of them because I don't want to fuck up anything important. I had a Trojan Horse a while back and when I installed AVG it got rid of it but not the pop-ups. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or if I should just continue practicing my mad pop-up closing skills, 'cause man, I can close like 3 a second after a whole summer of practicing.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 08-15-2004 7:52AM 
Major

there's quite a few of these going around. first check in add/remove programs. if that doesn't work, hit ctrl+alt+del & look in the running processes for an unfamiliar/suspicious name, and look up any you don't know. at worst case, start browsing c, program files & system directories for similar files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 08-15-2004 7:56AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Farrar Hall
Two things.

1) Do yourself a favor and download a copy of Spybot. Use it.

2) Pop-up kills work much more nicely with Alt+F4 (or Ctrl+W works too if you're using IE.) You can boost your speed to 5 a second...and sometimes that's what matters most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 08-15-2004 8:29AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
Besides Spybot, download Ad-Aware as well from http://www.lavasoftusa.com (I think that's the address). Between the two, your computer should be pretty clean of that extra shit.

I'd also recommend downloading a pop up blocker. When I use IE, I use the Google toolbar. It works fine for blocking my pop ups, and it makes it easier to surf Google. Some people hate it and swear it doesn't work, but it works fine for me. If you want another one, I remember Panicware used to have a good pop up blocker... Otherwise just search Google or Download.com or something for a pop up blocker.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 08-15-2004 9:01AM 
Colonel

also, download UMR's version of NAI VirusScanner 7.1. It does a beautiful job at detecting and removing spyware/malware

c : enter : push push push

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necropheliac... -- Ebay auction

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 08-15-2004 9:55AM 
Colonel

Use Firefox if you aren't already. As of right now no or little malware has been written for it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 08-15-2004 11:52AM 
Brigadier General

True. I had forgotten to mention that in my earlier post. When I'm not using Firefox, I use IE. And I use the Google toolbar for pop up blocking under IE... Otherwise I use Firefox.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 9:45AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Phi Kappa Theta
I already have spybot and used Ad-aware for a while. I got rid of it because I thought spybot did a better job. I will try the other stuff though. Thanks for all the help.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 9:46AM 
Brigadier General

I run them both. They're both free, and don't take up much space at all. Usually one can find other spyware that the other one misses... So when you run them both, you catch a lot more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 6:34PM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
go to the google website and dl their toolbar, it helps block pop ups, the only time you will ever get one with it on is when its imbedded in your comp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 7:37PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Phi Kappa Theta
D-ra wrote:
go to the google website and dl their toolbar, it helps block pop ups, the only time you will ever get one with it on is when its imbedded in your comp.

I already have it, and it blocks all pop-ups from websites. I have something imbedded in my compy though that it doesn't pick up. I am sure I can get rid of most of it now. Thanks for all your help. It has worked great.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 10:22PM 

Source: Somewhere
has any else gotten home search? that thing is a bitch. also can any one get FF to work with seek42?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 1:52AM 
Colonel

didnt i just post this somewhere else? only linux (w/ gtk + xft) bullds of firefox have smb support, and even then you have to change the \\nerd\whatever to smb://nerd/whatever... its a pain in the ass, seems like a simple fix on the server side, but what do i know

Profile E-mail