Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 6:04AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: computer problem.......
PostPosted: Mon 08-16-2004 12:21PM 

Source: Somewhere
My power supply went out a few days ago, I turned on the computer and it shut itself off within a few seconds. When I tried to turn the computer on absolutely nothing happened. So I guessed that the power supply was to blame. So I bought an Antec power supply and replaced the old one. Now the computer powers up but nothing further. I took out all of the pci cards to make sure it wasn't one of them. Still no luck. So I'm guessing that when the power supply went out, it also took out my motherboard and processor.

Now my problem is I worried if I just try a new processor on that motherboard, that the motherboard may destroy that processor. However I don't know if this is really possible.

Also I have an Asus motherboard and the green power stand by light, does light up when I power on the computer, I don't know if this actually means the motherboard is good.

This is an some what older system, but I'm on a budget trying to save a few bucks by just fixing the problem. Its a 700mhz amd slot A system.

Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed.... thanks
bcpcm8@umr.edu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-16-2004 12:47PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Pull the RAM. If your mobo beeps it's probably not fried. Pull your vidcard. Again with the beeps. If you don't get beeps, your mobo or your proc could be fried. If you have another computer with a compatible socket, you can test the proc hypothesis.

Profile E-mail