* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 6:03AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Problems connecting to campus network
PostPosted: Tue 08-31-2004 2:10PM 
Major General

Source: TJ Hall
Yet another computer question from me...hopefully my last one for awhile :D

Ok, i got WinXP installed on my computer and working good. My motherboard (ABIT NF7-S) has onboard LAN. I go to the network connections folder and it shows the connection, and says its connected at 400 mB/s. Then, when double clicking on it it says my IP address (which i of course need to register the machine) is unavialable. It also says that the piece of hardware (1394 network adapter, or something like that) is working perfectly.

I have installed all the drivers for the equipment on my motherboard, using the CD that came with it. It said it was installing ethernet drivers. The computer is of course connected to the network using an ethernet cable, and the cable has a green backlight in the socket when i plug it in to the back of the computer.

I also tried running ipconfig from the dos command line, and nothing happened, it just said "Windows IP configuriation" and went back to the command line.

I tried calling the helpdesk, and they told me to reinstall the drivers and restart the computer (which i did). Same thing.

So...anyone have any ideas on what my problem can be? I'm thinking that the OS and my hardware aren't working together properly. I'm about to rip the LAN card out of my old computer, but i would like to use the onboard lan on my mobo.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-31-2004 2:43PM 
Major General

Source: TJ North
Well, i put the ehternet card out of my old computer in the new one and now i'm posting on it. Seems to work but i'd rather use the onboard LAN....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 08-31-2004 2:52PM 
Colonel

Source: Kelly Hall
just 2 quick things i'll point out:
1) you need your MAC address to register your machine
2) the "1394 network adapter" would be a firewire controller, not a nic...so it would appear the nic isn't being recognized...have you checked if it can be enabled/disabled in the bios?

edit: "nic" above refers to your onboard

Profile E-mail