Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat 05-04-2024 6:37PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Broncos going down hill
PostPosted: Wed 02-25-2004 11:31PM 
Brigadier General

Source: TJ North
I just heard on another forum that the Broncos were going to trade Clinton Portis to the Redskins for Champ Bailey and a first round draft pick. I thought the guy was certifiably insane. I mean, why would a team like the Broncos trade away possibly the best back in the league, after only his second year? Will this not totally destroy the basis for their offense, which the Broncos have so dominated at over the last few years?

Well I did a little research and talked to my dad back in Denver and found out that it no longer is a question of whether he will go to Washington, but WHEN he will go to Washington. He said every sports writer in the town is sure he will go, and that this could be the downfall of the organization for years to come. They brought Plummer in because he was a good quarterback, but never had a running game to support his passing game. Without Portis, Plummer might as well still be with the Cardinals. McCaffery is expected to retire because of too many recent injuries, which leaves them with Rod Smith (who is getting old), Ashley Lelie (only 2 seasons in the NFL), and Shannon Sharpe (also expected to retire this year or next). Not only that, but since the Broncos made Mike Anderson (Rookie of the Year before Portis was) play full back and back up to Portis, then tried to renegotiate his contract for less money, he now wants to leave. They are left with Quentin Griffith, who has started only one or two games, and although did quite well, is built smaller than Emmit Smith. Not only that, but they may lose one of their starting OLB's in Ian Gold. Even if they get a first round pick, which position do they fill? OLB, full back, half back, other defensive positions?

To top it all off, Pat Bowlen, the majority owner of the Broncos, is facing very serious legal issues. When he bought the team from a guy named Kaiser, Kaiser and Bowlen had a written agreement that Bowlen would allow the possibility for Kaiser to buy back the team before Bowlen could sell any of his shares of the team. Well, over the years, Kaiser found out that Bowlen sold most of his shares to people in his family and never consulted with Kaiser. Kaiser took him to court, and the jury was split, so Bowlen had to pay the damages to Kaiser, which is very high, although I do not have the numbers.

Well, unfortunately for me, it looks like the Chiefs will continue to dominate the West for the next couple years or so, unless San Diego or Oakland can do anything. The Broncos look like a lost cause for the next few years down the road, although I will still root for them. So, if the Chiefs can make it to the playoff and not choke, they may have their hay day in the next two years. Looks like the makings of an end to the Great Elway Era of the Broncos, and back to the bottom of the heap. Oh well, at least we still got the Avalanche and the Nuggets to root for.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  
Report this post    Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-26-2004 12:20AM 
Major

Source: Altman Hall
I am not gonna bash the bronco's but it just doesn't make since shipping off your best offensive threat for a db. I mean sure C. Bailey is a good cb but the only thing he can do is cover a wr. With Portis you have multiple options with him. Though I think you guys are getting shafted in the trade I think you should be fine.

I have seen some mock drafts that have you guys taking M. Clarett in the second, with wash. pick if it goes through, which it appears it is going too. Now I don't think this is a solution but you do have Q. Griffin and sure he is like B. Sanders, size wise, he has alot of potential and with the o-line you guys have he will be very good.

The one thing I think that is going to hurt you the most is the fact that now all the pressure on the offense is going to sit squarely on the shoulders of J. Plummer, which we all know what happened the last time that a team did that to him. You guys are going to need to pick a deep threat at wr and a great te, if sharpe retires, in the draft.

KU

BUCK FUSH!!!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-26-2004 1:33PM 
Debunker of Llamas

Source: Off Campus
If I were the Broncos I'd make the trade in a heartbeat. Bailey is an awfully good corner and to get a first round pick with him for Portis is a steal. Portis is an above average back, but I don't think that he is so much better then what the Broncos have or can get that I'd worry about making the trade. If you take a look at the Broncos in recent memory, they have had success running the ball regardless of who was carrying it. That means they either have the best running back scout ever, or they have an offensive line and scheme such that any decent back can find success. I really think it is the second. As a Chiefs fan, I'd much rather see them keep Portis then get Bailey and a first.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-26-2004 3:48PM 

Source: Somewhere
Oh, oops. When I saw this thread from SnoCat, I thought he meant they were going Downhill... skiing. Maybe that's because he's the misplaced Coloradan. Well, I'm a misplaced Ohioan. Small world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 02-26-2004 4:58PM 
Colonel

I think it's obviously a sign that the Broncos are giving up now that Gunther Cunningham is back in town :D

Cunningham never lost to the Broncos.

If the Broncos beat the Chiefs next year, it'll be with a good defense. In that regard, the Bailey move makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-02-2004 11:20AM 
Lieutenant

Source: TJ South
As it has been pointed out the Broncos aren't going to hurting that bad. The game plan and offensive line are a huge reason why running backs excel in Denver. Being the Portis was the 4th excellent running back to come through Denver in a row. Griffith will be able to step up, he should be just fine, he may be sam;; but he also has the off season to put on a little weight and be solid for the next seaon. Ya there are a lot of old players on the team that just means they have to cultivate the new players. The Broncos aren't going downhill that fast. Good football dosen't come from a couple of stars but a solid team that knows how to play well together.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-02-2004 3:11PM 
Major

Source: Altman Hall
Tomcat wrote:
The game plan and offensive line are a huge reason why running backs excel in Denver.

I agree with you on that but you have to take into account that not only did Denver lose their O Line coach to the falcons, they are also losing a couple of linemen to FA. I think this may end up hurting them in the long run. They will see some missed blocks next year that shouldn't be missed, just like the chiefs did when they brought in big willie roaf, but the will work themselves out.

As far a the draft pick, I think the last terms of the trade I saw was that Denver was getting a second round pick and not a first. Which still I wish the chiefs had three picks in the first two rounds. With those picks you are going to have to address your need area in the following order: WR, TE, and OLB.

KU

BUCK FUSH!!!!!!!!!

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-04-2004 12:26AM 
Brigadier General

Turns out everything went through, and it might not be as bad for Denver since they have a little more cap room now. They still have Ian Gold and Anderson holding out as far as I know. The core of good players that they have had over the years is depleting, and it looks like Bowlen is starting to make bad decisions, or the bad ones he made in the past are catching up with him. We may have a building year this next year to get Griffin into the offense and some new O-linemen into the offense. I wouldn't expect much from them for the next year, but their may be a bright spot in their secondary which hasn't been there since Atwater and Crockett a while back. We will just have to see what happens...

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2004 5:59PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
It's a smart move for the Broncos, they got a shut down corner and cap space.

They can replace Portis easily enough, just like they replaced Terrel Davis, Olandis Gary, and Mike Anderson. It's the system that makes the players great.

and they all like facials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2004 7:07PM 
Major

Source: TJ South
yeah, but sooner or later that system will crash and they will be rather upset that they let go of some great fucking running backs.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2004 7:37PM 
Brigadier General

I just found out that if they wouldn't have dealt him, he would have made only $400K next year, unless he held out for more or tried to renegotiate his contract. Seeing as what he got from the Skins, I am glad they dealt him, but will still have some cap problems with Bailey. We'll see what transpires over the next two months or so.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-23-2004 2:18AM 
Brigadier General

Ok, so maybe things won't be all bad next year. Today (actually yesterday), they agreed to terms with John Lynch, formerly of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Our D may be a little better than last year, and if Q. Griffith can do ok, we may be a threat. KC may have some competition after all.

Oh ya, and Warren Sapp is now with the Raiders, so the Cheifs and Broncs will have to deal with him for two games a year at least now. Oh well.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-23-2004 11:09AM 

Source: Somewhere
The game plan:

Wait two weeks, and snocat17 will needlessly bump this thread again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]