Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:42AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: cluster questions
PostPosted: Wed 03-24-2004 6:14PM 
Captain

Source: TJ North
I have a bunch of computers lying around ehre and i would like to take 8 of them and make a halfway decent cluster but dont know how. i've done a few google searches but any help would be appreciated.

Report this post    Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 03-24-2004 6:40PM 
Colonel

Location: No one's really sure what became of Castorite after graduation

Source: Off Campus
It depends on what you're going to be running on the cluster since there's several different styles of clustering.

There's High Availability (HA) clustering, which means if one computer running a database or webserver goes down, a secondary unit will transparently take its place. I know Windows and most unix variants have this capability, but I'm not sure of a good resource to point you at.

If you're into something like 3D graphics and want to put together a render farm, check out what Chromium has to offer.

If you're building your own software and doing something like simulating nuclear explosions, predicting weather patterns, or some other number-crunching-intensive problem, you might look at building it with LAM-MPI or Beowulf underpinnings. However, you should know that just installing the substructure without using programs that take advantage of it will not help you at all.

If you're just looking to run several programs at once and want the load to be transparently spread among several systems, look at MOSIX or openMosix. I don't know if there's any similar project for Windows, but I believe there's a set of software for OS X called AppleSeeds that does basically the same thing.

Finally, check into what different OS vendors have. I believe HP has something completely different for HP-UX, IBM has something else really cool for AIX, and so on and so forth.

Profile E-mail  
Report this post    Reply with quote  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]