Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed 04-17-2024 10:56PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: F.E.A.R. demo killed my computer
PostPosted: Tue 09-20-2005 12:58PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Anyone try this game yet? First time I found a game that is unplayable with some of the lowest settings. I could walk around 'ok', if i looked at a light or puddle it would crawl and the first gunfight i just quit the game.

The cutscenes ran about .2 fps to where the sound had to wait 30 seconds to let the video 'catch up'

Of course my system isn't all that good, but i played doom3 just fine with medium settings and decent resolution.

Min requirements:
HL2 - 256 ram 1.2 GHz Processor
Doom3 - 384 ram 1.5 Ghz Processor
F.E.A.R. - 512 ram 1.7 Ghz Processor

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-20-2005 1:47PM 
Major General

Source: TJ South
Would think it's more of a video card thing. Though I'm not suprised stuff is getting up to 512mb RAM required. Most desktops (for those who play games often) already have 1 gig or more.

Remember, Jesus loves you...but he doesn't put out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-20-2005 2:04PM 
Brigadier General

Yea, vid card has a lot to do with it. But min req on video cards that manu's list are retardedly low.

Like for FEAR it lists min is 64 mb geforce 4 card, I don't see how you play it with that and have it not look like doom1. I've got a 128mb 5600ultra and the thing is choking on 'minimal' settings.

Just for kicks:
Here is a list of framerates for half life 2
Now with the same system, here is what FEAR's fps' looks like

ouch.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-20-2005 2:11PM 
Colonel

Source: CompSci Building
Worked fine on my 6600GT PCIe. IIRC the 5000 series was pretty lackluster except for the high-end 5900's, especially with intensive PS 2.0 work.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-20-2005 2:18PM 
Brigadier General

yea i know, nvidia totally tricked me into buying this thing. But it is almost 2 years old

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-20-2005 2:33PM 
Colonel

Source: RC I
Can't stand that game haha. They had a booth set up at the CPL and I played it there. Whenever you get into a gunfight, there is so much dust and crap coming off the walls/smoke from the gun barrels that you can't see anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-20-2005 5:31PM 
Brigadier General

Yeah usually I can play games around 60-80 FPS in 1600x1200 with 2xAA and 8xAF. FEAR demo i think I got around 80 in 1024x768. It was probably around 10-20 in 16x12... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-22-2005 10:31AM 
Captain

Source: Off Campus
I played the demo too, all 5 minutes of it, and it strained my system a ton. I can always play games on high settings, but this thing is a monster. I became playable when I used the default low settings, but it looked HORRIBLE. I tweaked it a bit and got it to run okay on a mix of high and medium settings. It seems like a pretty sweet game but its system requirements bring it down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-22-2005 11:04AM 
Major

ElPupitre wrote:
Can't stand that game haha. They had a booth set up at the CPL and I played it there. Whenever you get into a gunfight, there is so much dust and crap coming off the walls/smoke from the gun barrels that you can't see anything.

Yeah, it's totally unrealistic that a gunfight would seem chaotic. Really though, I liked the more interactive environments since the dust/crap never seemed terrible to me when I was playing it. Of course turning the settings up did seem a little terrible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-22-2005 12:18PM 
Colonel

I could care less if it's realistic or not. It's a video game. Inconveniences or gameplay-harming "features" are just that.. inconvenient and gameplay-harming, regardless of whether they're realistic or not.

It's not even a realistic game anyway. The fact that people have body armor/SWAT gear on and they carry anti-terror weaponry doesn't make it a realistic game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-22-2005 12:35PM 
Brigadier General

your looking at it from a multiplayer gamer view. I mean even all the 'cool people' turned all versions of quake graphics to turd just to give them an edge on spotting other players and running faster on their machines, well used to anyway.

theres always gotta be a real fancy single player game out there. I know it will have multiplayer but it won't hit off as well as a more functionally built game rather than a 'pretty' one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-22-2005 2:33PM 
Major

ElPupitre wrote:

You went to CPL? That's awesome, I've always wanted to go to one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-22-2005 3:31PM 
Major

ElPupitre wrote:
I could care less if it's realistic or not. It's a video game. Inconveniences or gameplay-harming "features" are just that.. inconvenient and gameplay-harming, regardless of whether they're realistic or not.

It's not even a realistic game anyway. The fact that people have body armor/SWAT gear on and they carry anti-terror weaponry doesn't make it a realistic game.

Well the realism that most people care about in an fps is physics.. (besides in games like ut) and this is where fear is more realistic with all the shit flying from the walls. Obviously any game that features a bullet time type feature is simply going for coolness instead of overall realism. Besides, you can view it as an inconvenience if you want, but it's just adding depth to gameplay. Of course I'm not arguing that playing the game should be a chore, if you don't like it, you don't like it.
Do you really want just another last generation boring fps with updated graphics? Obviously that's what people who play counter-strike want, but they're not the entire market for fps's. Personally I would like to see more environment interaction, and I think fear is at least moving in that direction.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Ha
PostPosted: Tue 10-18-2005 11:22AM 
Sergeant

Well i played the demo on m friends Dell XPS and it looked great and worked great too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-18-2005 12:36PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ North
This game is out as of yesterday...is there any hope it will run on my Radeon 9600?