Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:52PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Lineage 2
PostPosted: Sun 09-25-2005 11:14PM 
Sergeant

Source: Fidelity
Hey does anyone here play L2? I'm a PR on the bartz server if anyone wants to make a group, or perhaps form a TOI group

Oh, and who is excited about C4 coming out? I hear that Nukers are getting nerfed ( i hate being slept ><)

http://suicidegirls.com/?Dungeon_Master

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 09-26-2005 8:09AM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
nice name :P

how is linage anyway, its nice to hear about an mmo that isn't WoW for a chance, i play gw myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 09-26-2005 8:41AM 
Major General

Source: EMan Building
I tried GW but just didn't like it. I used to play EverQuest, but it got so fucking broken ("We know that there are bugs that need to be worked on, but here, a new expansion to tide you over!"). Was going to hold out until D&D Online came out early November, but my computer took one look at the specs and shat itself. Either spend the money to upgrade, or suffer through some of the already out-there games. Since no one I knew played L2 (until now, that is), and I knew quite a few people who played WoW, I grabbed that.

Also gotta blame marketting. I hadn't even heard of L2 until it had already came out, and I actually try to keep track of these things. WoW was promotted like a son-of-a-bitch.

Remember, Jesus loves you...but he doesn't put out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 09-26-2005 9:32AM 
Gun Hater

Source: MST Wireless
Sczroer wrote:
WoW was promotted like a son-of-a-bitch.

LEEEEEEEERRROOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
JEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNSSSS

And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 09-26-2005 10:11AM 
Brigadier General

Only reason why WoW did so well was because its association with 'warcraft' and all of its loyal followers. Even people who never played mmorpgs or had any previous interest in them bought WoW.

This game produced no new material as far as mmorpgs.

however if we want to get into a discussion about WoW and its crappiness we should probably start another thread.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 09-26-2005 11:58AM 
Major General

Source: TJ South
Actually, WoW fixed a lot of things, whatwith being able to set party looting so that everyone gets a chance at all magical items. Same with PvP, whatwith the Horde vs. Alliance BattleGrounds and random raids. The only thing I really dislike is that the two factions cannot talk to each other what-so-over, except in the one large common Auction House. The money system is also wackily annoying.

True, nothing overly unique, and the graphics are kinda cartoony, but, eh, it works.

Post subject: L2 > Wow & Guild Wars
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 4:07AM 
Sergeant

Yeah... there are about 100 reasons why L2 is better...Sczroer did bring up an important point that the two sides in WoW can't really talk to each other, which sucks... and the pvp system really sucks...

In L2, i can just attack anyone i want... but then again i love pvp, and dealing with the dead person's clan and alliance can be fun ^^

But i have to say the higlight of L2 is the castle seiges.. WOOHOO! Nothin like killin the enemy alliance for 5 hours >< doh! AND you get to actually keep the castle, and collect taxes on it, setup a manor system etc... and bragging rights.

Dark Elves are hot!

SO if anyone wants to create a toon, let me know, i play on the bartz server...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 6:26AM 
Sergeant

I thought i'd post a simple screenshot of my character, yes i'm an uber archer (phantom ranger).. I took one last night while i was half drunk, so i wasn't fighting anything XD

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 10:23AM 
Major General

Spiffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 10:29AM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
thats sexy

yeah i don't find anything special about wow, gw has more innovative things to it, and as far as drop systems go, i like gw's best, theres a large chance that items that drop on your turn are actually useable by your class. plus the class system is just beauitful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 11:13AM 
Major

Source: VPN
Skoad wrote:
Only reason why WoW did so well was because its association with 'warcraft' and all of its loyal followers. Even people who never played mmorpgs or had any previous interest in them bought WoW.

This game produced no new material as far as mmorpgs.

however if we want to get into a discussion about WoW and its crappiness we should probably start another thread.

Ok, so I'll bite.

First and foremost, I've beta tested a few other MMORPGs but FFXI is the only other MMORPG I've played to a very large extent, so keep that in mind.

WoW brings something to the MMORPG community that very few others have, the ability to quickly reach maximum level and the ability to be a semi-casual player. In most MMOPRGs, you have to commit a large quantity of time to accomplish most anything. I know in FFXI, if I wanted to really level my character, it was usually a minimum of 2 hours and more like 4-5 if I wanted to be efficient. In other words, I'd spend hours trying to find a party so to rationalize the time spent looking for a party, I really needed to stay in the party for a few hours. In WoW, you can easily solo your way all the way to 60. There are no huge time commitments in WoW until you reach level 60 and that's only if you want to do the very end game raiding. They just released a patch which introduced another dungeon designed more for the casual gamer that drops gear nearly equivalent to the huge end game raiding dungeons.

As in WoW tradition, the graphics are more of the cartoon feel rather than the realistic feel that is so prevalent today. While there is a striking difference, I feel that WoW pulls it off.

Another thing I love about WoW, Blizzard doesn't take itself too seriously. There's a quest line in WoW where you help a guy named Linken recover his sword. The reward is either his sword or an orb AND Linken's Boomerang. Just an example of the "feel" of WoW. Mind you FFXI, did have a final fantasy "feel" but after you've played it a few months, you sorta stop noticing. I still find easter eggs in WoW they amuse me to no end.

Anyways, I've rambled long enough. WoW is simply easier to get more people interested in the game. FFXI had such a huge time commitment at every step of the way that it turned away a lot of the more casual gamers. WoW bridges that gap and in the process has caused a lot of casual gamers to slowly step up their gaming. What this has caused is a new market in MMORPGs because some of the casual gamers have become WoW hardcore gamers. Be it because WoW is a Blizzard Warcraft product (which brought in the people) or because of the format of WoW gets and keeps people (which keeps the people it brought in), WoW is highly succesful for good reasons. Perhaps it won't stand the test of time, I think it will.

Saying all that, I find myself getting burned out on the game and will probably move on soon. I played FFXI for just over a year. I've played WoW for about 10 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 11:29AM 
Major General

In WoW, just like in WC3, if you click on an NPC a number of times, they'll say funny things.

But, he brought up a good point. You don't have to be a dedicated player to reach 60. I got to 20 in less than a week, playing less than 3 average hours a day. Also, something I just started noticing, they don't only pull from the WC series, but also Diablo (1 and 2). So all those old Blizzard games we've all played make an appearance here and there.

Also, something else back to Hentai's PvP comment. I'm not really a fan of PvP. Comes from too many times of getting anally raped by people either twice my level, or tweaked out of their gord with end-game bullshit. That is something that pissed me off with....I think the name was Shadowbane or something like that. So I'm walking along, trying to meet up with a couple friends, and all of the sudden some high level ranger guy jumps out and kills me with three shots. Why? Just because he could. You get too many assholes like that in games with free PvP. I really do like the team PvP (race-based, so the dark elves are free to attack a dwarf on sight, and vice versa) servers that EQ and WoW have. Though, as it is with WoW, any Alliance character can attack a Horde member on sight. Just ticks me off to be running from Crossroads to Ratchet, and some level 60 human priestess wanders up and smites me with a single spell. My only crime being too low to put up a fight. Bastards.

Post subject: Re: L2 > Wow & Guild Wars
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 1:08PM 
Brigadier General

Your Hentai Angel wrote:
... and the pvp system really sucks...

In L2, i can just attack anyone i want... but then again i love pvp, and dealing with the dead person's clan and alliance can be fun ^^

EXACTLY! I don't play an online rpg game to be a farmer.

I played Shadowbane for a month or two so I know what your talking about castle conquest type stuff and it was fun. Only problems I had with shadowbane was pvp also. It really took no 'skill'. You hit your spell macro, target the other guy then go grab a soda. This is mainly due to the level system and how the basic game works. If your like 5-10 levels above someone theres no possible way they can kill you unless you go afk or something in the middle of the fight.

I saw enough of WoW being played and dabbed in it a bit to know that it was a waste of time/money. I've been waiting for http://www.darkfallonline.com to get going but I'm fairly sure its a lost cause now.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 10:26PM 
Gun Hater

Source: TJ North
Your Hentai Angel wrote:
I thought i'd post a simple screenshot of my character, yes i'm an uber archer (phantom ranger).. I took one last night while i was half drunk, so i wasn't fighting anything XD

[img]

i'd tap that.

And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-27-2005 10:51PM 
Major General

Phil the tame goat wrote:
Your Hentai Angel wrote:

i'd tap that.

Wow...that's a Rolla remark right there...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next