Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 5:20AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-28-2005 8:13PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
Like I said, having a gyro in a controller to determine tilt, etc. is not new. Companies have been doing it for years. Ever seen those 3d joysticks? The reason they've never caught on is because it's not very reliable. It's alright for simplistic movement; they were used in the Dreamcast fishing controller. However, that was just up and down movement. Trying to have it replace an analog stick is a disaster waiting to happen. In the end, it's just another gimmick. As far as the control pad being an "innovation" by Nintendo, yeah I guess you could call copying Intellivision innovation if you want to.
The only thing Nintendo really has going for them is the Mario/Zelda franchise, but realistically, they've milked that market dry already with countless sub-mediocre titles. Nintendo will do well in Japan, they always do. But here in the states is another story.

Two pieces of yeast were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-28-2005 8:19PM 
Drowning

Source: TJ South
its really just a party system anyway. which in its own right isnt a bad thing.

we will see.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-28-2005 9:06PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
D-ra wrote:
we've been lucky to pay the prices we are now for current gen, games can't be made by very small teams anymore. there have been tests by publishers with limited edition game packs costing 70-80 dollars with some extra loot in them to see if people would be willing to pay, in many cases those limited numbers ran out rather quickly. the industry wanted to know if people would pay more to get more. we voted. =/ like i said, why do you think the psp game prices are so high compared to the ds? its not because of the discs they use, there's a 20 dollar range based on the quality of the game mostly, the very crappy games as far as graphics go are normally on the low end.

I realize that games cost more to make, but games also sell more than they used to. We paid fifty bucks for Super Mario Kart back when it was done by a relatively small team, and it probably sold a meager amount next to what an OK game can sell now.

Here, I dug up an interview with Mark Rein, VP of Epic, on the topic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-28-2005 9:12PM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
Staats wrote:
D-ra wrote:
we've been lucky to pay the prices we are now for current gen, games can't be made by very small teams anymore. there have been tests by publishers with limited edition game packs costing 70-80 dollars with some extra loot in them to see if people would be willing to pay, in many cases those limited numbers ran out rather quickly. the industry wanted to know if people would pay more to get more. we voted. =/ like i said, why do you think the psp game prices are so high compared to the ds? its not because of the discs they use, there's a 20 dollar range based on the quality of the game mostly, the very crappy games as far as graphics go are normally on the low end.

I realize that games cost more to make, but games also sell more than they used to. We paid fifty bucks for Super Mario Kart back when it was done by a relatively small team, and it probably sold a meager amount next to what an OK game can sell now.

Here, I dug up an interview with Mark Rein, VP of Epic, on the topic.

Inflation?
Further like he mentions, hes part of the computer market =/ its a bit of a different buisness.

LostBoyz wrote:
its really just a party system anyway. which in its own right isnt a bad thing.

we will see.

Have you seen their game line up? :P or what third party companies joined up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-28-2005 9:31PM 
Captain

Source: McAnerney Hall
Lava Tea wrote:
Trying to have it replace an analog stick is a disaster waiting to happen.

They're not trying to replace the analog stick, it's still there. And technology made have improved, making it better than the Dreamcast version.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-28-2005 11:09PM 
Colonel

lava tea, have you ever even used an intellivision? The controller is nothing like the intellivision controller. The only similarity is the shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-28-2005 11:17PM 
Colonel

And on the expensive games topics:
Chrono Trigger was released at $80 and still sold very well. Phantasy Star IV was released at $90 and sold fairly well also. Not nearly as well as the rest of the series sold though. This might be because people were bored of the concept, or people didn't want to spend $90 on a single game.

I think the most expensive I remember a game being sold at was Hard Drivin for the genesis. $100 on release date.

Regardless, these prices were far more justified in the cartridge era. Cartridge hardware is ALOT more expensive than a disc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-29-2005 12:23AM 
Drowning

steel batallion for xbox-$150

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-29-2005 12:45AM 
Major

LostBoyz wrote:

No way, can you verify that at all?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-29-2005 12:47AM 
Drowning

controller was $100 game was $50, but you really couldnt play it without it

i am thinking of the right game right, i get names mixed up sometimes

EDIT: $150 for controller $50 for game

http://www.capcom.com/SB/SB_order.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-29-2005 12:55AM 
Major

That's right, my bad, I completely forgot about that setup.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-29-2005 5:42AM 
Major

Yes I have, and if you had used one as well, you wouldn't be saying they were similar in shape, as they were not held horizontally like Nintendo controllers.
But, the idea of having Start + Select buttons on the controller came from Intellivision, and the dpad was just a cross between Intellivision's thumbdisc and an Atari joystick.

Two pieces of yeast were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-29-2005 8:13AM 
Brigadier General

LostBoyz wrote:

Steel Battallion was $200 on launch, the price of an entire xbox back then.

You didn't buy anything seperate, it was a kit. It sold pretty well in the end, all 10,000 units in the US sold on it's first distribution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-29-2005 3:54PM 
Colonel

If we're including games that came bundled with accessories...
Exertainment Mountain Bike Rally. I think it was $500 on release date.

Also, I completely forgot about Neo Geo AES games. The last AES game released was Samurai Showdown V Special. $550 on release through most mail order outlets.

Which model INTV have you used lava tea? I know 2-3 companies made them, I have the Mattel one, and the controller is most certainly held like the revolution stick. Mine certainly doesn't have a gyro or an expansion port on it either. Nor was it wireless. Maybe you had some sort of intellivision from the future where this technology had been invented.

You would've been better off saying it was like the CDI controller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-29-2005 4:14PM 
Major

D-ra wrote:
Inflation?
Further like he mentions, hes part of the computer market =/ its a bit of a different buisness.

The only real difference I see is a lack of royalties and the even smaller market.

Profile E-mail