Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 9:45AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-09-2005 3:08PM 
Colonel

Source: Wilson Library
Reading the interview on slashdot, the reason why x360 might "look better" is because of the new pixel shader hardware ATI has come out with that supposedly won't be available until windows vista. From what I could tell, it won't actually affect graphics quality, just speed. But then I noticed the little blurb "framerate on x360 will be locked at 30 fps" ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 11-09-2005 4:54PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Consoles only interest me with the fact that it's a multi-player rig. If consoles were 1 player only I wouldn't even give consoles a second glance. This is a main reason the PS2 doesn't interest me or games like WoW. Unless I'm playing with friends, it's almost a waste of time to me.

COD2 is cool, but it's easier to play with people on a console then PC's. Even though I'd rather play on a PC over an xbox when over the internet.

You've got to admit though that the 360 (from a PC gamers perspective) is pretty cool. It's got decent graphics, and by starting the merger between PC/consoles through controllers and games has got an appeal for a PC conscience buyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 11-13-2005 1:03AM 
Major General

Source: RC I
Worseley wrote:
Consoles only interest me with the fact that it's a multi-player rig. If consoles were 1 player only I wouldn't even give consoles a second glance. This is a main reason the PS2 doesn't interest me or games like WoW. Unless I'm playing with friends, it's almost a waste of time to me.

COD2 is cool, but it's easier to play with people on a console then PC's. Even though I'd rather play on a PC over an xbox when over the internet.

You've got to admit though that the 360 (from a PC gamers perspective) is pretty cool. It's got decent graphics, and by starting the merger between PC/consoles through controllers and games has got an appeal for a PC conscience buyer.

You're nearly comparing apples and oranges, though. If I didn't have the 360 gamepad for my PC, there would be no racing games, fighting games, platformers, sports games, or any of that on there. It's just not right to play those games on a PC. However, RTS and FPS (outside of Halo) won't touch my console, because it's just not practical to play those types of games on them.

But the real difference is price and accessabilty. Consoles offer a economically minded approach to gaming, as everyone can't afford to lay down $2000 for a great gaming rig. Consoles are also universally compatible with their companies games. PC's have wide varieties of compatibility issues. IMHO, consoles and PC games will always exist in two completely different worlds. Microsoft has a neat idea with the 360 controller working for Windows (and it works great, I love my controller), but I just don't think that idea is going to spread like they hope it will.

P.S. Sunday after 360 launches, come on down to RC suite 1060. I'll be having a mother of a Madden tourny. I'm up in the air about what other game I'm going to get, so suggestions are appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 11-13-2005 7:41AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
kjk437 wrote:
You're nearly comparing apples and oranges, though. If I didn't have the 360 gamepad for my PC, there would be no racing games, fighting games, platformers, sports games, or any of that on there. It's just not right to play those games on a PC. However, RTS and FPS (outside of Halo) won't touch my console, because it's just not practical to play those types of games on them.

Ohh, I'm definitely comparing apples to oranges. Both of them may be fruit, but they're definitely not the same thing.

I wasn't sure when I'd see when people wanted to play, but because of a mix-up with ordering my new HDTV, I've got one hell of a 360 LAN pad at my place with 2 widescreen HDTV's, my old 32" SDTV, and my 21" LCD widescreen w/ HD input.

With the shipping cost at $200 one-way, the store I bought the HDTV from did just about anything to get me to keep the 2nd set to keep from paying the cost of trucking it back to Texas. (they shipped 2 sets, I ordered 1).

Being a tight-ass, I wouldn't pay for it unless I got $350 off an already insane deal.

I don't know how long I'll keep the 2nd set, but while I've got it I might as well use it.

PDZ, looked good but I'm not sure just how good it plays, having bots will be something not seen on consoles in a while (32 max player)
COD2 looks like it's got several holes and definitely isn't a next-gen game.
PGR3 looks like a solid racing game, but with the massive learning curve, new players will always have a hard time.
Dead or Alive 4 looks great, but I'm not a huge fan of fighting games.
Kameo looks like a good game to play to pass the time, probably the best game to play between games like PDZ and COD2.

I'm a little disappointed that 360 game reviews aren't out yet, there's supposed to be 25 games for the holiday season but where's my HALO must-have game? PDZ was hyped as being it a year ago, now they hardly talk about it, especially the multiplayer. It's definitely my pet-peev for the 360.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 11-13-2005 12:18PM 
Major General

Source: RC I
Yeah, there are actually some reviews out (although bloated ones) from OXM and a UK website. OXM gave CoD2 a 9.0, King Kong a 9.0, Condemned an 8.5, and NBA Live 06 a 7.0. The UK website gave CoD2 a 94% and NFS:MW a 87% (not sure about the last one).