Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:38AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Quake 4 Launch
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 11:32AM 
Colonel

Source: RC I
Quake 4 is shipping on the 18th. I suppose this means my copy will arrive on the 19th on overnight shipping. Anyone up to play during the launch week/weekend? I'll have a dedicated server up on the school network ASAP.

Whose planning on buying it anyway?

Edit: Forgot.. my server box is running linux at the moment.. will have to reinstall Windows until the Linux version of Q4 is released (it has already been announced).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 1:50PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
I'll probably end up getting it since a few friends of mine are pretty pumped about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 3:08PM 
Brigadier General

I'll get it, just not sure how soon.

sidenote: here elpupitre

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 5:58PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
If the final game features monsters with cybernetic cornrows, I think I'll pass.

Two pieces of yeast were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 7:25PM 
Colonel

That's a good basis to judge a game on there, Lava Tea.

Thanks Skoad ;).. saw that the other day. I think my roommate ordered one. I'll have to wait until I have Q4 in hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 8:26PM 
Brigadier General

so you talkin lan or just internet server fragging

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 9:06PM 
Colonel

Well the server is going to be on the UMR LAN, but I'll set it up so you can connect from outside the network. It would be fun to get an actual LAN together, but I can't fit more than another one or two of my bestest friends in my room at the RC.

I have 3 roommates that will be playing with me, I'm sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 11:02PM 
Major

Well, in any case the concept art for Quake 4 is retarded. They put caution tape on his legs for Christs sake. What is that supposed to mean? Danger, giant death robot with railgun! Watch out for rear hydraulic legs, your fingers could get pinched off!
I have a feeling if they're going to stick with crap like that, the rest of the game won't fall too far from the same tree...

Two pieces of yeast were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 10-12-2005 11:29PM 
Colonel

If you let a little caution tape and "cybernetic corn rows" ruin a game for you, I have a disagreement with your criteria used to judge games. Do you honestly think you're even going to notice the corn rows or caution tape while you're playing the game anyway? How often do you stop and stare monsters in the face closely enough to notice that kind of thing while you're playing a fast-paced game?

Anyway, I'm certainly not buying Quake 4 for the single player campaign. I'm buying it because the multiplayer is heavily based on Quake 3 multiplayer, which is the best multiplayer FPS I have ever played. Quake 3 is virtually perfectly balanced, no gimmicks deathmatch where the good players stand far out from the inexperienced. It's fun for new players and it has endless depth of strategy for veterans in competitive scenarios. I'm hoping for the same out of Quake 4, and judging by what respectable players have said about it after playing it at Quakecon this summer, I'm going to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-13-2005 1:13AM 
Major

Just about every FPS released recently is virtually the same; the only things that really separates them from each other are the artwork (graphics), sounds, pointless cutscenes, and story. Just look up any review for Farcry and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Sure, they could release a game that's fun to play, with great level design and addictive gameplay, but they're not going to do that. Chances are it'll be an interactive movie like every other game released since Half-Life, and the multiplayer will be more of the same. If I wanted to play Quake3, I'd play Quake3. And I won't need an updated graphics engine to enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-13-2005 1:17AM 
Brigadier General

you don't get it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-13-2005 10:45AM 
Major

Skoad wrote:
you don't get it.

I really wonder whether Lava has ever played any of the Quake games. If he had he might understand this at least a little bit. I completely agree with Poopytray on this one though. Quake 3 was by far the best deathmatch game I've ever played and I will play Quake 4 just for those similarities but I definitely look forward to the much more impressive graphics it will bring compared to 3. Its funny saying that though after playing Quake 3 when it came out and loving those graphics. Change is good and yet sometimes hard. Wish I knew people to play with consistently though. I have the hardest time buying games like that when I dont have personal friends that I can play with regularly (thats relative though now that I'm married).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-13-2005 11:14AM 
Spanish

Source: MST Wireless
you should get your wife in on some quake action. be like "frag or die" haha that'd work pretty well right?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-13-2005 1:05PM 
Captain

heretic^ wrote:
you should get your wife in on some quake action. be like "frag or die" haha that'd work pretty well right?

his wife would start telling him he's cal-o in bed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-13-2005 1:24PM 
Spanish

i guess that's better than being ogl in bed right?

Profile E-mail