Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 5:04AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Supreme Commander
PostPosted: Fri 02-09-2007 10:16PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
Is anybody else excited for this game? I know a few of you guys have probably played the beta, and for anyone who hasn't I recommend the demo. Pretty cool game.

I have only played the first mission of the demo campaign, and although there was a bit of a learning curve I was addicted within the first 30 minutes.

So is anybody getting Supreme Commander when it comes out a week from Tuesday?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 02-10-2007 12:53AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Na, I am waiting on C&C3 in March. I am going to try the demo though.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 02-10-2007 2:35PM 
Brigadier General

Fall0ut-Boy wrote:
Na, I am waiting on C&C3 in March. I am going to try the demo though.

The trailers for that game do look pretty sick. SupCom was a little dissapointing in terms of scale but the scale is so much bigger than any RTS I have played, and the camera zoon system is excellent and should be standard from here on out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 02-10-2007 8:30PM 
Brigadier General

Ah I felt different about the camera system. I felt like the close zoom was good for determining what units where what, but lacked the ability to see the map and surroundings. The farther zoom seemed only useful for an overall view which can be done with just a mini map.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 02-10-2007 8:37PM 
Major

Source: TJ North
Sounds like someone needs another monitor. But then again, I haven't played it yet.

Shameless prop for Fate of the Galaxy, the mod I work on

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 02-10-2007 10:16PM 
Brigadier General

Fall0ut-Boy wrote:
Ah I felt different about the camera system. I felt like the close zoom was good for determining what units where what, but lacked the ability to see the map and surroundings. The farther zoom seemed only useful for an overall view which can be done with just a mini map.

I guess I was referring to the moving around the map. Since the camera zooms in where your cursor is, you can quickly move the camera by flicking the wheel backwards, mousing where you want to go, and flicking the wheel forward. I found this much faster and efficent then clicking on the minimpa.

I have a widescreen monitor and the dual views was cool, but I still found a constant zooming and moving method to work best.

I also found that I played zoomed out a lot. I hotkey groups of untis to numbers and then command larger groups from a farther out view. This makes the micromangement of airunits taking out point defenses and ground units taking out anti-air turrets much easier. That combined with the fact that you can setup way-points and play/pause them really lets you plan out a large stragety.

I guess I like the game because the scale forces you to take different strageties than a traditional RTS.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 02-11-2007 3:16AM 
Major

Source: MST Wireless
cmptrnrd16 wrote:
I guess I like the game because the scale forces you to take different strageties than a traditional RTS.

I'm not a big gamer, but this being the highly anticipated (albeit unofficial) sequel to Total Annihilation, I went ahead and signed up for a beta account. All in all, SupCom gets my stamp of approval. It forces you to think on both strategic and tactical planes, has a large variety of units/weapons and related playing styles. FWIW, I love how terrain advantage plays a big role in the game.

My biggest complaint with the beta: it demands a *lot* of system resources. Large battles in SupCom quickly brought my Athlon 64 3500+ (1 GB RAM, 200 MHz FSB) to its knees.
cmptrnrd16 wrote:
Since the camera zooms in where your cursor is, you can quickly move the camera by flicking the wheel backwards, mousing where you want to go, and flicking the wheel forward. I found this much faster and efficent then clicking on the minimpa.

Well, given some thought, it's actually a more involved process if you're constantly jumping around the map but each time returning to the same zoom-level. The reason the new system is better stems from it buying you a wider range and fidelity of "zoomage"... i.e. one now smoothly adjusts their zoom-level to what feels natural given the gameplay circumstances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 02-18-2007 8:02PM 
Colonel

Source: Wilson Library
I'll be addicted to this game for awhile.... and the zoom system is perfect... it'll be difficult to go back to the old scrolling system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 02-20-2007 2:54AM 
Major

ya, this game kicks ass. I've been playing the demo this week. Campaign was great, but the skirmish mode is my fav. Beats the hell out of all other RTS games out there. I'll probably pickup a copy before the week is over.