Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:09PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I got a new black DS Lite
PostPosted: Fri 04-20-2007 8:48PM 
Sergeant

Source: TJ South
Wondering what games i should get for sure.

only thing i have right now is Scurge: hive, which is basically a metroid clone, but its not too shabby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-20-2007 9:12PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I picked up the Onyx a couple weeks ago... my White DSlite was stolen a month ago.

Tetris DS was really good. I never got much into playing the DS as much as other systems, I got it mostly for my Nephews/Nieces to play around with.

Try looking online and finding all the games with 9.0+ scores, that's what I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 04-21-2007 11:11AM 
Sergeant

Source: RC I
I can strongly recommend:

Elite Beat Agents - It's a rythem game with a halfway decent soundtrack. Even the bad songs are still kinda fun.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Awesome turn based strategy. Not revolutionarily different from the GBA versions, but the series is good enough to warrant a buy regardless. It's old, so it might be somewhat difficult to find.

Either Castlevania - Sidescrolling Metroid in Castlevania form. Both are very good games. Portrait of Ruin is newer and probably easier to find.

Mario Kart DS - Training, missions, battle mode, solid enough control, online play (though some people can be cheap). Worth the money. It's portable Mario Kart!

Meteos and/or Tetris - Obligitory puzzler. Tetris is better for car rides since you can play it without using the touch screen, but Meteos is fast paced (it gives you the option, but you really can't play without the touch screen or you'll get overwhelmed) and has a hillariously epic feel for a puzzler.

New Super Mario Bros. - In my opinion, not as great as everyone makes it out to be. It's most certainly not quite as good as its predecessors, but it still is one of the best platformers on the DS.

Metroid - Only if you have friends. I found the single player very boring, and everyone plays cheaply online. For a couple friends together, though, it can be a decent enough Halo standby if someone's Xbox is broken.

Other folks swear by stuff like Animal Crossing, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Final Fantasy 3, Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, Brain Age, and many more. As a poor college student, I can't get all of these until they end up in a bargain bin, heh. Just avoid movie tie ins and sports stuff. Neither work well toward their intended purpose on the DS, and some tend to be lousy GBA ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 04-21-2007 5:16PM 
Brigadier General

pded39 wrote:
I can strongly recommend:

Elite Beat Agents - It's a rythem game with a halfway decent soundtrack. Even the bad songs are still kinda fun.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Awesome turn based strategy. Not revolutionarily different from the GBA versions, but the series is good enough to warrant a buy regardless. It's old, so it might be somewhat difficult to find.

Either Castlevania - Sidescrolling Metroid in Castlevania form. Both are very good games. Portrait of Ruin is newer and probably easier to find.

Mario Kart DS - Training, missions, battle mode, solid enough control, online play (though some people can be cheap). Worth the money. It's portable Mario Kart!

Meteos and/or Tetris - Obligitory puzzler. Tetris is better for car rides since you can play it without using the touch screen, but Meteos is fast paced (it gives you the option, but you really can't play without the touch screen or you'll get overwhelmed) and has a hillariously epic feel for a puzzler.

New Super Mario Bros. - In my opinion, not as great as everyone makes it out to be. It's most certainly not quite as good as its predecessors, but it still is one of the best platformers on the DS.

Metroid - Only if you have friends. I found the single player very boring, and everyone plays cheaply online. For a couple friends together, though, it can be a decent enough Halo standby if someone's Xbox is broken.

Other folks swear by stuff like Animal Crossing, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Final Fantasy 3, Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, Brain Age, and many more. As a poor college student, I can't get all of these until they end up in a bargain bin, heh. Just avoid movie tie ins and sports stuff. Neither work well toward their intended purpose on the DS, and some tend to be lousy GBA ports.

I also personally recommend all of the above except Metroid, AC, Phoenix Wright, and Dragon Quest. I don't have those yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 04-22-2007 1:33AM 
Sergeant

Source: TJ South
righteous, i checked out the castlevanias and really liked them, i loved super metroid and these games bring back fond memories :)

i dont think i can take another mario game, but these castlevanias should keep me hooked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-27-2007 7:48AM 
Major

Do what I did and buy yourself a flash card then never worry about buying games :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-27-2007 10:05AM 
Brigadier General

I personally like the DX. All selfcontained, no flashing required, lots of storage and click n' drag w/ roms.