Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:33AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Smash Crew (SSBB or SSBM)
PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 2:29PM 
Sergeant

Source: Off Campus
After going back to St. Louis and actually being able to play with competent smashers, I was wondering if anyone else was interested in getting together for some smash brothers. Looking for people who play seriously and don't go on tilts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Smash Crew (SSBB or SSBM)
PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 8:26PM 
Captain

I play, as do my roommates, and several of our friends. We're fairly serious (a couple tourney fags in our midst, but not all of us), and we have a blast doing it. Most of us aren't obsessive (we certainly didn't win the Melee tournament a few months ago, but we at least had a presence). Personally, I play for fun, not tourney-fag style, so items aren't evil, or any of that silly crap. FlamingZelda here is one of my roommates (one of the more psychotic Smashers), and I'm sure he'd also be interested.

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 8:31PM 
Captain

FZ here. I haven't played Melee in quite some time (since the tournament in Rolla last semester). I highly doubt I'm any good anymore, but sure I'd play. I don't do much of the wavedashing/advanced techniques (as my friends don't and if I do they're all "omg tourney fag"). I could learn if necessary, I started learning wavedashing before the tourney. Anyway.

I've not practiced much with Brawl, not having anyone to play it with has kind of put a damper on that. But I'd be up for it, too, I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu 07-31-2008 10:00PM 
Sergeant

I'd much prefer Brawl at the moment just because that's what the tourney scene is turning to. In 1v1 items are evil, when goofing around doing four man free for alls I don't really care though. Brawl doesn't really have any of the advanced techniques (ShFfL-ing or wave-dashing) but relies more on match-ups and just knowing the characters really well. I just added the melee part because they're are some smashers who refuse to pick up Brawl because of the lack of advanced techniques and didn't want to exclude them. Anyway, I'm not going to be getting back to Rolla till the 16th or 17th and will be pretty busy till after opening week at least but just wanted to see what the interest would be.

P.S. Being able to ShFfL is way more important than wave-dashing in melee.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 08-01-2008 12:08AM 
Captain

If this is for tournaments, I think I'll bow out. I'm competitive and all, but tournament gaming and tournament gamers scare me.

PostPosted: Sat 08-02-2008 12:29PM 
Sergeant

Just to sate my curiosity, what tournaments have you been to? In general I've found tournament gamers to be much more respectful than most people.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 08-02-2008 9:12PM 
Captain

For video games, I've only ever participated in the Melee tournament held in Rolla just before Brawl's launch. I've been to several card game tournaments (one Magic: The Gathering in Rolla, and a couple Pokémon tournaments in Kansas City when I was in fifth and sixth grade). I won't dispute that tournament gamers are fairly respectful people, but the amount of time spent and the level of generally inhuman skill is what frightens me.

That and the number of silly, silly rules people place on the game just to make it "fair." I'm a fan of items in SSB because they make things fun. I like the moving levels, and the levels with environmental hazards because they keep me on my toes, and they're more interesting than Final Destination.

As much as I do play games, and as competitive as I am, I'm not up to the tournament thing. The rules are far too restrictive for me to enjoy myself, and the repetition needed to get to a tournament-playing level is beyond that which my patience can take.

PostPosted: Tue 08-12-2008 10:52PM 
Captain

The only Melee tourney I've been to is the one that was in Rolla for Brawl launch. I've been to multiple MTG/YGO/other random TCG tourneys. I even attended a Street Fighter II vs Marvel Superheroes tourney once way back. That shit was insane, I got fucking owned.

I'm not really into the whole tournament scene much either unless I find that I really like a game and have a knack for it in general. Something like SSBM or possibly Pokemon games or something. Sure I'll play with you guys (given that I have time) but I dunno if I'll participate in the tourneys. I'd like to, but Iunno.

PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 5:40AM 
Lieutenant

While I am not currently in rolla any more I figured I would post here anyways. I have been to quite a few tournaments probably the biggest one being SMYM two years ago I was one of the "tourney fags" that won singles and doubles with my team mate at the melee tourney last year. Umm if you ever plan anything I can probably come down for something on the weekend tournament wise. I know for a fact I will be down for St. Pats so may be we can smash it up then.

If your looking for others people to play theres still a few good people down there send me a pm sometime and I can give you their aim.

-A2