Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:48PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PS3 for Blu-Ray Only
PostPosted: Sun 08-31-2008 2:41PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
Before, with Blu-Ray players and the PS3 both being $400, there was no reason to not get a PS3. But now with Blu-Ray players coming down in price a little bit, if you don't plan on playing games on the PS3, is there any compelling reason to spend the extra money and get one? I've got a 360 for games and none of the PS3 exclusives really excite me that much. I just want some high-def movies to go along with my HDTV since Charter's compression on HBO and Cinemax HD makes some movies unwatchable.

Post subject: Re: PS3 for Blu-Ray Only
PostPosted: Sun 08-31-2008 2:55PM 
Drowning

Source: Fidelity
really? because it isnt true HD now its "unwatchable" raising the bar a little high dont you think

also get a popcorn hour and a 1TB harddrive and you are still in much under the cost of either a BRD player or ps3

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 08-31-2008 3:32PM 
Major General

OK, unwatchable would be an exaggeration I guess, but it's pretty bad, especially during fast-moving action scenes. It really seems to defeat the purpose of HD.

With the popcorn hour, I'm guessing you get the movies from those special sites, right? As crazy as it sounds, I'd rather try to keep things on the legal side as much as I can, and since I have a Netflix subscription and they have Blu Ray discs, it just makes more sense.

PostPosted: Mon 09-01-2008 10:21AM 
Major General

I would go for the PS3.

It's a near "future-proof" player.. It's like 1 of 2 players on the market that can upgrade to match the latest standard/firmware of Blu-Ray (the other being a couple grand). I've also seen some decent audio/home theater sites use it as their reference player..

That and Little Big Planet is reason enough to sway you to a PS3 if you've already decided to get a BR player..

PostPosted: Mon 09-01-2008 4:57PM 
bertowned
bertowned

As much as I hate to say it - you're probably better off getting a PS3. As noted its basically "future proof" because Sony is not going to stop firmware updates for a while, whereas some blu-ray drives are already out of date and can't play newer discs (even with firmware updates). Also - the PS3 is supposedly the fastest of all blu-ray players. Most standalone brd players [reportedly] take much longer to load, whereas the PS3 is very fast. I suspect this has to do with the cell processor being much faster at decryption than a SA BRD Player.

Not that this means i'm buying into blu-ray. I think its bullshit to pay $40+ for a movie and $200+ for a decent drive. HD DVD cost me a hundred bucks for a drive (standalone - not xbox) and under $20 for the movies. And I know that BR Discs are not THAT much more expensive to make than an hd-dvd. So personally i'm giving sony & blu-ray the finger until hardware & content become more reasonably priced, but you asked so i answered. And i guess if you have to suck Satan's cock you might as well make sure its sugar coated (aka get a PS3 if you decide you absolutely have to have blu).

PostPosted: Sat 10-25-2008 9:42AM 
Sergeant

Source: Holtman Hall
devil wrote:
Before, with Blu-Ray players and the PS3 both being $400, there was no reason to not get a PS3. But now with Blu-Ray players coming down in price a little bit, if you don't plan on playing games on the PS3, is there any compelling reason to spend the extra money and get one? I've got a 360 for games and none of the PS3 exclusives really excite me that much. I just want some high-def movies to go along with my HDTV since Charter's compression on HBO and Cinemax HD makes some movies unwatchable.

PS3 = media center. Win.

PostPosted: Sat 10-25-2008 10:48AM 
Major General

Long Shlong wrote:
devil wrote:

PS3 = media center. Win.

Reviving dead threads == FAIL

Also, Xbox 1 w/ XBMC is ftw on media center.