Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:16AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: E3
PostPosted: Fri 05-28-2004 12:39AM 
Major General

Source: Sigma Nu
have any of ya'll read the articles about E3? hell yah nintendo is bringing the big guns. MICROSOFT SAYS NO NEW CONSOLE that's pretty big news. i'm totally primed for the metroid sequel, the new star fox that is actually a space shooter, and THE NEW ZELDA!!!!!!!!!! i'm going to share this video right now it's that good............

follow

\\gx1327\movies\incoming\zeldaamazing_wmvlow.wmv

if you arne't on the UMR network, go to ign.com, click on the gamecube link, and the first thing you'll see is a big zelda ad. follow it to the videos.

it's fucking amazing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 05-31-2004 10:20PM 
Sergeant

Source: Farrar Hall
As much of a fanboy for the big N as I am, I actually felt embarassed reading your post. Yours is the sort of language that I would laugh at if it were for M$ or Sony, but since it is for Nintendo I feel like hanging my head in shame. Allow me to rephrase for you:

nsrbb5 should have wrote:
Has anyone here been paying attention to E3? Being a Nintendo fanboy, I was very excited by their showing. The Metroid Prime sequal looks awesome [insert reason why here]. The new Star Fox game looks like it won't be craptastic like Rareware's Star Fox Adventures. It's actually a shooter this time. And the biggest, coolest, surprise of all was the new Zelda for Gamecube! The cel-shaded look has been thrown away for a more dark and realistic appeareance. You really need to see it for yourself. I'll share it here:
\\gx1327\movies\incoming\zeldaamazing_wmvlow.wmv
Fuckin' amazing!

Also... I read up on all the E3 stuff, saw all three press conferences and never heard from Microsoft about "NO NEW CONSOLE". Got any links/quotes/proof?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06-02-2004 11:05PM 
Major General

holy fucking shit. okay, the reason i didn't use the word "fanboy" is because people who use words like "fanboy" are losers. just because i prefer one manufacturer to another doesn't make me a "fanboy". am i a GM fanboy because i drive their cars? a canon fanboy because their digital cameras are the shit? a pepsi fanboy because coke is gay? no, i'm a fucking consumer. i don't go to the fucking detroit auto show with my pontiac t shirt and my pontiac posters and scream and yell like a little girl at an nsync concert when they release the new GTO, but i pay attention to it and i let other's know about it

i'm pretty sure where i read that was on .... uh....... extended play's website. i just went to their website, and it's really fucked up or something it doens't load right and half the links are 404...but they said that sony unveiled the PSP, nintendo showed the DS, and microsoft said that from here on out they were going to focus on the software. which is great because i figured this lame ass console wars was going to force me to shell out another $300 in a couple months for a new system when my old one is barely 3 years old

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06-02-2004 11:41PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Actually, 'console wars' probably drives the prices down..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06-02-2004 11:48PM 
Major

Source: VPN
Nintendo did pretty well at E3. They played up how they were better than sony and did an arguably good job of it. Their new handheld is awesome, incorporates multiplayer shit, and does wifi, and its going to be released before the psp and cost a lot less.
Also whether you are a nintendo 'fanboy' or not, the new Zelda looks fucking incredible.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06-03-2004 6:28PM 
Major General

yeah console wars drive the prices down at first, but remember the NES? and the genesis? you paid $200-$300 for it when it came out. TEN YEARS LATER they released a new system. GCN was released in november 2001. it's not even 3 years old yet and i had heard rumors about a new playstation in 2005.

also, people can argue that this led to the demise of sega's consoles

and has anyone ever played majora's mask? i had played every zelda game except that and link's quest, but after that awesome video for the new zelda, i started playing majora's mask on project64. that game is awesome! i'm only about 3/4ths through it though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06-03-2004 10:28PM 
Sergeant

Source: Farrar Hall
Just to clarify, I throw around the word "fanboy" a lot. I even call myself one which goes to show that I mean nothing negative by the term. Sorry for offending you so much that you had to go all crazy about it. I didn't realize you were so volatile.

nsrbb5 wrote:
TEN YEARS LATER they released a new system.

Hmm... ten years sounds a little exaggerated to me. I went and looked for some evidence to back up your story. Here is what I found
    NINTENDO (source:nintendo.com)
    1985 - NES (6yrs)
    1991 - SNES (5yrs)
    1996 - N64 (5yrs)
    2001 - GCN (?4-5yrs)

SEGA (source:sega.com)
    1986 - SMS (4yrs)
    1990 - Genesis (5yrs)
    1995 - Saturn (4yrs)
    1999 - Dreamcast (?)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06-04-2004 12:23PM 
Major General

hm maybe i was so young it just felt like 10 years

BUT i do know there was a couple year period right after SNES was released that developers still made games for both the NES and SNES. hell i remember reading nintendo power and they would have a section for super nintendo, gameboy, and nintendo every issue, and in the future previews section they still showed new games coming out... it took a couple of years for the companys to completely drop the nes platform, and only then was the consumer forced to upgrade their hardware if they wanted new games. i know they made a couple good games, but the only one that comes to mind is JURASSIC PARK which was released in 1993 (according to the game itself).

if you actually compare the graphics and gameplay of jurassic park to a game that was origionally released, like super mario bros., you will notice how long of a way the console has gone. the same can be said with the N64. perfect dark, banjo kazooie (or whtaver that game is called), and conker's bad fur day are all critcally acclaimed games, and none of htem was released until the later years of the N64. i know for a fact that PD came out in 2000. so did majora's mask (with ocarina coming out some time before that). and it could be said that we would have seen more kickass games come out for the N64, but we never go thte chance because everyone abandoned them to work on the next big console. i even remmeber hearing of a few games that were supposed to be ported and converted to GCn but never did (hahah cubivore... well that one actually made it, don't know why!)

and at least N64 got to use it's expansion bay. every console i've ever seen has those expansion slots on them... why!? snes had them, NES had them, genesis had them (segaCD)... N64 had the memory thing, and the disk drive which never hit the US. at least now we are getting some use out of those with the 3rd gen consoles

one thing i think i heard somewhere, is that nintendo was never planning on making another console after SNES, but sega forced them to with the sega saturn. it's somewhat ironic that sega beat nintendo with a new console by a year all those times, yet they were the first manufacturer to have to withdraw from making consoles. too bad too i'd much rather own a sega machine than a microsoft or sony machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 06-04-2004 1:03PM 
Colonel

What about an Infinium machine?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-05-2004 12:47AM 
Brigadier General

I know from my Mod sites a little about the new consoles.

Sony has gone back to the drawing board for the PS3. Apparently they paid a enforment in Microsoft to hand over the specs of the X-box 2. After seeing what Microsoft has coming out they reliazed they needed to revamp the aging components of the PS3. The PS3 is slated for a Spring 2006 Launch in Japan, followed by a release in the United States 6 months later for Christmans - 2006)

The Xbox 2 is still somewhat of a secret. Like the PS3 it's rumored to come with a DVD burner instead of just a reader, Tivo Options, 20-80 GB harddrive (which is rumored to also function as a external MP3 player or portable storage device... USB dock station for a computer). Microsoft released the computer specs to game developers 1-2 months ago giving the Xbox 2 a release date of Christmas of 2005 since it takes 18 months to design games from scratch, going with the entended launch date that Microsoft has been going for.

Another thing Microsoft is doing is after the launch of the Xbox 2, they are going to release another version roughly 6 months later. Called a Xbox-PC, it will cost a estimated $599 and be a fully funtional home computer with a built in Xbox 2 gaming platform. Coming with a full version of windows this will definitely give Microsoft a edge in the gaming market by integrating another part of the home entertainment industry.

I've only recently heard that Nintendo was going to be making a new system... don't know much about it yet. I like Nintendo, but they're almost definitely just going to make another gamecube with the same target audience in their sights.

Playstation 3 Fall 2006

Xbox 2 (Xenon) Fall 2005

Xbox 2+ (Xbox-PC) Spring 2006

GC2 ???

Like always things change. I know Sony had the Playstation 3 done last summer, that's probably why they're revamping the system to a more modern system specs. I do know Sony hasn't released it's specs yet which means unless they do it in the next month or two there isn't any way Sony will be able to release in 2005 and keep a strong game platform launch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-06-2004 11:08PM 
Major General

oh. sweet. now i get to pay an extra $100 for my videogame system because it's got tivo-like capabilities. something that i don't need and won't use. but at least i get to pay for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 11:16AM 
Colonel

Wonder what would happen if they released 2 versions of their consoles.. like one with a regular DVD drive instead of a burner, 2 dif HD sizes (who used 20GB on the xbox unless they used ripped games? I don't own one, but I can imagine it would be a bit hard to fill up a 20gb drive with saves). One with and one without tivo crap? It's like consoles are supposed to be all-purpose machines now, rather than how they used to be so arguably great because they JUST PLAYED GAMES. You didn't have to worry about freezing because they were so stable since they had only one purpose. Anyway, rambling now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-07-2004 10:51PM 
Major General

yeah. that's really why i like nintendo. i don't need a DVD player, i have a dvd player that does that. i don't need to manage and copy files, i have a computer for that. i want to stick a cartridge in, hit power, and have it start playing

unfortunatly cartridge media isn't the most effective way to store a game, so they had to switch to laser disc (which led to memory cards, and memory card managing etc...)

but i'm fairly confident that nintendo would never consider putting something like that on a console. case in point, gamecube not having DVD playback capabilities. in order for them to make it play DVDs, they would have had to charge the consumer about $50 more for the console (for rights to the DVD Consortium or whatever they're called, who hold the patent on DVD media). so instead they developed their own type of laser disc media (which also secures copyrights). of course the drawback is many games that fit on one disc for PS2 or xbox need two discs for gamecube

i have a question though... have you ever noticed that almost any game you play it will say "yadda yadd do not touch the power button saving to <B>Playstation2 8Mb (...k) Memory Card (tm)</b>..." and even on xbox it says like "<B>Xbox Console (tm)</B>"... can't it just say "saving"? i have never seen it use a copyrighted name when saving to gamecube, but i really only play first party games on the gamecube