Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 12:17PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Talking about UT2004
PostPosted: Mon 07-12-2004 7:39PM 

Source: Somewhere
OK guys and gals. I've been talking about it with my friends for the past five years, but now I'm actually starting to work on a map for TJ and the Quad. I've got the basic layout for the South Tower floor done, and I'm gonna start working on the basic layout for the North Tower.

However, I just learned the basics of the UT editor, so i don't know how to do any fancy stuff like making the walls look like TJ walls and such. If anyone knows how to take some digitals of TJ and work it into a map, just holla at me at cdunn@umr.edu. If noone can help me out, I'm gonna do the best I can and see what I get.

Like I said I've got the basic layout done, just need to figure out how to do the stairs (since they wraparound and I'm not very good at doing stairs) and the more specific details. This would be a CTF map.

I'll probably make the Quad a DM map that has the players stay on the outside of the buildings since I don't know the Quad as well, unless someone from the Quad wants to help me. I'll be living at Holtman next year and working the desk there, so it shouldn't be too hard to find me. Just ask for Chaz.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured some people might be interested

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07-12-2004 8:06PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
South Tower floors would make a somewhat workable map, since they're kind of '8' shaped. I don't think you could do much with the North Tower though. The 'L' shape really doesn't lend itself CTF, much less DM. But hey, knock yourself out. See if you can do better than the VR people's Half-Life rendition of the CS building.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07-12-2004 8:16PM 
Colonel

I've always hoped someone would try this: a map of the whole campus with a flag in the quad and a flag at TJ. That would be fun as hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07-12-2004 8:16PM 
Colonel

Location: No one's really sure what became of Castorite after graduation

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
Out of curiosity, how big are maps allowed to be? I could see most of campus nicely translated into a map, given enough time. And just imagine being able to capture the reactor...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 07-12-2004 9:20PM 

I don't know, but I was thinking about doing a campus CTF map. That would be awesome if I had the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-13-2004 12:33AM 
Major General

Source: Sigma Nu
campus would be way better. if you think about it, running around a dormatory wouldn't be very fun. 8 floors of similar scenery and hundreds of identical rooms... if you modeled it off campus you could put maybe 1 or 2 rooms in each building, like sniper points or something.

i've played w/ith ued a little bit and find it horribly confusing... is it a CSG editor? because i used to use serious editor all the time which is where i learned constructive solid geometry, and it was fairly basic and well layed out. i made a bunch of half assed levels, including a remake of the 1.9 version of E1M3 from doom2, possibly the greatest deathmatch level to date (then again, DM-sulphur is pretty fun!)

ahh... i remember making all those levels for doom2. my house, the subway store i used to work at... problem is you couldn't do a 2 story house because of the doom2 engine... so you had to put in a teleporter to cheat

if i were you (lazy) i would just find textures within UT2004 that look similar to what you're trying to make. surely there is a brick wall texture in there etc. that you can pull. or just give TJ a techno look to it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-13-2004 7:41AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Triangle
Yeah CTF, Quad versus TJ would be fun or an onslaught for that matter. I remember I had a buddy that did his whole neighborhood starting with his room in a Half-Life editor. Working bathroom and pinbal machine. Killing headcrabs in your friends living room, those were the days.

http://www.aperturescience.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-13-2004 10:28AM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
A map for a game that lets me simulate going around killing dormies? Yes, please. Mua ha ha ha :]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-13-2004 12:38PM 
Colonel

In a campus map, TJ could just be two solid blocks with just the first floor and cafeteria modeled. The pool and volleyball pit could be spawn points. You could climb one working staircase to the roofs of both towers for sniping, or just put ladders on the sides if the stairs weren't worth the effort. The flag/generator would probably be best in the cafeteria or under the front awning, depending on how the map played. If it became too sniper happy, I'd take away the capability to climb the towers.

The edges of campus would probably just be represented by abandoned city-type buildings forming a wall to keep people from exploring too far. It wouldn't be far from the truth. The campus's section of highway 63/Bishop Avenue would be nice for driving the huge vehicles between the home bases. The campus itself could be mainly blocks shaped like the buildings, with few truly able to be explored, for playability's sake. Civil would be nice if explorable, as you could fudge a bit and make the north-facing skylights into sniper windows to counter-snipe the snipers at TJ. The library, ME 104, Shrenk's lecture hall, the Havener Center, Stonehenge, the Physics lecture hall, and Leach Theater would make logical resupply/command points.

The quad flag/generator would make sense in the center of the volleyball pit. Players would spawn in the buildings, making it hellish to anyone trying to attack.

Vehicles could be found in the parking lots around campus, and a Redeemer might make sense hidden somewhere in the new Havener Center. The Res College wouldn't make it into the map before it was released, just like its real life counterpart.

If you're looking for blueprints of campus buildings, go here: http://campus.umr.edu/phyfac/map/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-13-2004 3:49PM 
Brigadier General

For some reason when I think of a TJ map, I think of the morpheus map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-13-2004 4:43PM 

I had thought about making TJ an outside map exclusively, with low grav and such, and then turn it into a DM map. Let me think about this some more.

The UT editor isn't that hard (for making rooms at least) if you realize you're cutting out the geometric shapes from the environment, not building them like in AUTOCAD.

For getting on top of TJ, I could have some teleporters like they do in Facing Worlds, or do a ladder running up the North Tower where the balconies are (since some people act like the bars are ladders)

I do appreciate the feedback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-13-2004 7:29PM 
Brigadier General

You should probably restrict to campus only. Limit it to a certain area.

Corners going clockwise:

-Rolla Building
-McNutt
-EE
-UC East

Complete with sniping positions on top of the library, and a redeemer in the bookstore.

Just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 07-13-2004 11:46PM 

Captain_Cadaver wrote:
You should probably restrict to campus only. Limit it to a certain area.

Corners going clockwise:

-Rolla Building
-McNutt
-EE
-UC East

Complete with sniping positions on top of the library, and a redeemer in the bookstore.

Just an idea.

No, you've gotta have BE and maybe KMNR in there, and definitely Schrenk and maybe even Castleman. I wouldn't want to leave out the "Millennium Arch."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07-14-2004 2:00AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Christian Campus House
How about a sniping post out where the Havener Cam is?

Of course, you'd have to figure out a way to create a random attack on that point by a giant spider every so often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 07-14-2004 10:28AM 
Colonel

Keep in mind that UCW and the Basic Engineering buildings are slated to be razed before thinking about putting them in the map.

Restricting it to campus might make it easier, but it wouldn't be as much fun without spawning in the dorms. Our campus isn't large enough to be fun to run around in without them.