* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 4:46AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Doom 3
PostPosted: Tue 08-17-2004 11:55PM 
Major

Source: TJ North
Hey everyone,

Well, since there were a lot of people that haven't downloaded Doom 3 that wanted to, as obvious by everyone saying they wanted to download it while I was playing it on the projector in the south lounge, I've decided to host it and a few more games.

\\131.151.187.76
or
\\sharemonster

It should be faster than a lot of other hosts that host everything, and it's in the same building. And it's on a dedicated port.

~ Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 3:17PM 
Major General

Source: Sigma Nu
what's the deal with pixel shader? it REQUIRES pixel shader? that is bullshit because i know my computer CAN run the game, but it just won't let me play the game. i know it's a ltitle old, but if my computer can run UT2004 flawlessly at 1600x1200 on high resolution, and can even run the doom3 alpha purely on software rendering, i'm pretty sure i can at least run doom3 at a reasonable resolution. but noooooooo my pixels won't be properly shaded. i remember when most games you could set the resolution down to like 4x3 pixels and it would still let you play it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 3:56PM 
Major

Well, shaders are kinda the in-thing right now in graphics, they allow for ultra-high level detail. Here's a link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_pixelshader.html

Shaders without hardware support would be slow I suspect.

What kind of card are you running? A Geforce 4 4200 (which is what I'm using to play the game) won't run you that much, about $50 on E-bay. With that card, if your machine can already run UT 2k4 at 1600x1200 on high resolution flawlessly, Doom III would probably run like a champ...just a thought.

~ Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 5:16PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
I'm running a GeForce4 MX 420 (until I buy my new card this weekend), and the game installed/runs fine at 800x600, and it doesn't support pixel shading.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 08-18-2004 5:23PM 
Major

Swirls wrote:
I'm running a GeForce4 MX 420 (until I buy my new card this weekend), and the game installed/runs fine at 800x600, and it doesn't support pixel shading.

I was under the impression that the Geforce 4 MX series supported pixel shading...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/LO_20020204_8254.html
"- Advanced per-pixel lighting, texturing, and shading"

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4mx.html

According to the product overview it does.

What card are you getting? I've been thinking about upgrading. The Geforce 6800 looks really nice...too bad it's hella expensive for my budget.

~ Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 12:12AM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
This game runs like complete ass on my computer. Might have to upgrade from the trusty old GF3 ti200 soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 8:56AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
Hmm. Maybe it just doesn't support Pixel Shading 2.0. I know it doesn't support some form of pixel shading, because I wasn't able to install Thief: Deadly Shadows, and I got a bunch of warnings whenever I was installing Far Cry saying it wouldn't run right.

And as of right now, I'm not sure what card I'm going to buy. I've been looking at variants of the 9600 Pro, 9600XT, and the 5700/5750 Ultras.

I haven't checked prices for the last month or two, so I'm not sure if there's a better bargain or not out there... I'm only looking to spend around $130 or so.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 11:57AM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
I'm running an AIW 9600XT and i get 47 fps at 80x600 high detail. I don't have any problems running the game. I even put on AA x2 and bump maps. It only dropped to 43fps.
Other specs
Mobile Athlon XP 2600
1 gig of OCZ LE Plat 2-2-2-2-11 ram Dual channel
running at 240fsb x 10
CPC ON
DFI LanParty Ultra B

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 2:09PM 
Major General

if you're running an MX card then it definatly doesn't support pixel shader. i have a geforce4 MX, it's only got like 64 megs of memory, which is pretty underrated nowadays, but it's a real trooper if it can run ut2004 and even farsight at resolutions higher than 1024x768 without any lag in the gameplay

i had just HEARD that it requried pixel shader, and i believed it because i had the same problem with deus ex 2. maybe i'll check it out because i freakin love doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 2:48PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
I'm probably going to upgrade to a 9800 around when HL2 comes out. They should be pretty cheap by then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 4:27PM 
Major General

okay, just downloaded and installed the game. i noticed that on the setup hardware requirements it said that nvidia geforce4 mx cards WILL work. so i installed it. and i must say it's a pretty intense game. even with the brightness up 75% i still can't see shit. and that flashlight is pretty small area. i like the whole PDA-problem solving element of the game, but something tells me i should have set it on "recruit". i only beat the first two levels (the underground) and have 39 health left and no shotgun shells. and those imps suck! whenever you get hit with the fireballs it blows all that smoke in your face!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 4:35PM 
Major

nsrbb5 wrote:
okay, just downloaded and installed the game. i noticed that on the setup hardware requirements it said that nvidia geforce4 mx cards WILL work. so i installed it. and i must say it's a pretty intense game. even with the brightness up 75% i still can't see shit. and that flashlight is pretty small area. i like the whole PDA-problem solving element of the game, but something tells me i should have set it on "recruit". i only beat the first two levels (the underground) and have 39 health left and no shotgun shells. and those imps suck! whenever you get hit with the fireballs it blows all that smoke in your face!

Yeah, well the nvidia specs say that the MX line supports pixel shaders, and so long as it supports up to whatever DirectX and OpenGL the game needs I don't see why it should work.

Those fireball tossin creatures do suck, and I think the difficulty in killing some of the creatures is unbalanced. Just wait until you get the chainsaw though, it's all good after that =)

~ Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08-20-2004 6:47PM 
Major General

i think the scariest part of the game is the beginning when you are looking for the scientist, and there aren't any monsters yet because you know that there WILL be monsters but you dont' know when you are going to run across one. now that 90% of the people i come across are trying to kill me, i'm expecting a lot more.

i just got to those damn spiders who drain the shit out of machine gun ammo. and then i got the chaingun! that thing tears through imps

also, i love how it's still got all the same doom2 tricks. like "hey look, some health!" and when you pick it up a door slides open behind you with an imp in it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 08-21-2004 9:03PM 
Lieutenant

Source: TJ South
Krientle wrote:
Those fireball tossin creatures do suck, and I think the difficulty in killing some of the creatures is unbalanced. Just wait until you get the chainsaw though, it's all good after that

As long as you're not in a very cramped tunnel, it's pretty easy to dodge the fireballs by sprinting. And I didn't really find the chainsaw effective against anything but the zombies and the summoners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 08-21-2004 9:50PM 

Source: Somewhere
anyone have doom3 hosted anymore??

plz thx