Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:38PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Battlefield 2142
PostPosted: Sun 10-22-2006 7:01PM 
Colonel

Source: Wilson Library
Anyone else have this? Just came out last week, amazing game. Unlike BF2, I was able to really get into online play, especially with the addition of the Titan gamemode, which is objective based rather than plain old conquest mode (which it still does have).

For those who play, what are your nicks? I'm Zulu0600 in the game and on xfire 0600zulu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 10-22-2006 7:05PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
What's up with the ad-ware stuff that I've heard about from this game? Is it true that there is a small slip of paper inside the box saying that EA will install that kind of stuff and basically you have no choice over it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 10-22-2006 7:06PM 
Colonel

Source: Wilson Library
I've not noticed anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 10-22-2006 9:45PM 
Major

I tried the beta, and it was disappointing.
The fact that you have to unlock practically every weapon and ability just makes the gameplay bullshit.

Two pieces of yeast were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 10-22-2006 11:27PM 
Colonel

I played the beta as well, and thats exactly what it was, a beta. On top of that it was very buggy. And your notion that you need unlocks to do well isn't true, *I've* played the full game. I frequent the top 10 (on 48-64 player maps, I'm in the top quarter more often than not) and on several occasions made top 3 (not being winning commander). I hardly ever use my weapon unlocks and the only two unlocks I frequently use are grenades and the revive tool (both unlocks with no prerequisites, you can have them within an hour of play or less, maybe even in one round). You're given enough to get up and running, and have enough to work for to make it worth it. Also, not only do you get points for killing/capturing, you get points for special badges, such as titan defense/offense, 5/10 kills w/o a death, armor badges, the list is long.

Unfortunately, the demo won't help you much, since you can't rank up there. Just have to take my word for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 2:20PM 
Major

I never said you need unlocks to do well, it just screws over the gameplay. However, if you wait until the game has been out for a year or 2, then try to play without unlocks, you might see things a little differently.
Honestly, why the hell should I have to play a multiplayer game for countless hours to get features that should be included in the first place? It makes no sense. The people who have the unlocks not only know the game better from spending more time with it, they also have a combative advantage from the unlocks. Usually, you give the handicap to the less skillful players, but it seems EA likes to do things backwards.

Two pieces of yeast were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 5:02PM 
Captain

Source: Kelly Hall
Lava Tea wrote:

Honestly, why the hell should I have to play a multiplayer game for countless hours to get features that should be included in the first place? It makes no sense. The people who have the unlocks not only know the game better from spending more time with it, they also have a combative advantage from the unlocks.

Ever played an MMO? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 7:07PM 
Brigadier General

I wonder if they fixed the bug where if two titans get close to each other the server starts to super lag!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 8:30PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
Nosir wrote:
Lava Tea wrote:

Honestly, why the hell should I have to play a multiplayer game for countless hours to get features that should be included in the first place? It makes no sense. The people who have the unlocks not only know the game better from spending more time with it, they also have a combative advantage from the unlocks.

Ever played an MMO? :roll:

No, and this is why I won't.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 9:22PM 
Major

There's a big difference between a multplayer game that takes skill vs. a multiplayer game that takes patience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 10:21PM 
Captain

Source: Kappa Sigma
Great, another thing I don't have time for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 10-23-2006 10:23PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: TJ North
you should look into this excelent game for those with little time on their hands :wink:
linky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-24-2006 8:26AM 
Colonel

Source: MST Wireless
Fall0ut-Boy wrote:
I wonder if they fixed the bug where if two titans get close to each other the server starts to super lag!!

Happens, but not in all servers. Then punkbuster has a fit and kicks people with high latency.