Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:48PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Xbox 360 Advice
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 11:57AM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
So it's impossible to get a Wii this christmas season, and so I've been thinking about picking up a different console. The Xbox 360 looks awesome. $400 for HD and a huge selection of games, with a 8 million player install base. Sounds good.

So the question is, all you 360 owners out there, do you like it? Is it worth it? If you have a Wii, which do you prefer, 360 or Wii?

Thanks.

~ Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 12:25PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
I think it really comes down to the type of games you like. If you're a shooter guy, without a doubt the 360 is worth it (GoW, R6: Vegas, Halo 3, etc.). If you're an RPG guy, maybe not so much. Also, XBox Live is way better than anything the other 2 consoles can offer.

I haven't touched a Wii yet though, so I can't really help you there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 12:36PM 
Brigadier General

You'll really need a HD TV or monitor to make the 360 worth the 400 bucks. Let me know if you're going to get one because there's several ways to get a Premium for around $340-360 on the net.

The Wii is really good but it doesn't have the games with it right now. Zelda is really good but the other Wii games havn't caught up to the excitement of Twilight princess. After zelda the games I'm looking for on the Wii are Super Smash brothers Brawl and the new Mario game. Besides that I don't know of any game for the Wii that isn't a scaled down version of a PS3 or 360 game.

The 360 needs 2 things to be worth the money IMO. You need to view it in HD somehow, whether it's a monitor or TV and you need it connected to the internet.

If you don't have either a HD setup or access to the internet it's not worth the money/play value to me.

I used to think fairly high of the PS3 but now that they've lost 95% of their exclusives from E3 06 which will be going to the 360 (including Metal Gear Solid 4 version) I don't see why so many people would want to spend that kind of money for the console with the least exclusive titles and graphics on par or lower then the 360 at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 1:35PM 
Drowning

love my 360, till it exploded, but thats my own fault

i dont have an HDset other then a monitor but live and wonderful games is what hooks me

other then that worseley pretty much said it all

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 1:53PM 
Major

Source: EE Building
You might be able to pick up a Wii, but you'd have to get lucky and it would probably have to be a $600 package....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 2:18PM 
Major General

Source: MST Wireless
I quite enjoy mine thus far. GoW, Oblivion (if you don't have it for the PC), Dead Rising, and Saint's Row make the system worth buying. There are also a ton of games coming out (Halo 3, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Fable 2, etc.) that look like a lot of fun.

Oh, and I picked up the HD-DVD add-on, and the picture quality is stunning. However, I will echo what has already been said: The system is great, but you really do need an HDTV to make the most out of the experience (but a computer monitor will suffice).

Oh, and don't let your life get consumed by Geometry Wars. Just friendly advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 2:57PM 
Drowning

Source: CSF Building
kjk437 wrote:
Oh, and don't let your life get consumed by Geometry Wars. Just friendly advice.

too late

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 3:00PM 
Colonel

Seems kinda sad to me that a system is only worth buying if you can view it in HD. Whatever happened to gameplay? Nobody complained about picture quality on SNES :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 3:11PM 
Major General

Source: MST Wireless
ElPupitre wrote:
Seems kinda sad to me that a system is only worth buying if you can view it in HD. Whatever happened to gameplay? Nobody complained about picture quality on SNES :o

Granted, but this generation was largely a step forward in eye-popping wow effects. No, I'm not saying developers should be slacking in the gameplay department, but graphics add to the atmosphere. We Worseley, LostBoyz, and I had a GoW LAN a while back (which, by the way, we need to do again), and LostBoyz played GoW for the first time on an HD set (he and his friend had played through the game in co-op and enjoyed it), but playing in HD caused such exclamations as "Holy Crap!," or "We need to get an HDTV." It just added that much more to the game.

However, that being said, I totally agree 100% ElPupitre, gameplay should always be first and foremost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 3:58PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
This makes me really want to get one. I have a 17" Flat Panel that runs at 1280x1024, so I think that the VGA adapter would work fine. It'd be nice to have a console on my desk.

Anyways, thanks for all the help. Worseley, you mentioned a $340-360 premium, I am interested but if it's from a shady site or requires a mail-in rebate I'm less enthused.

Thanks.

~ Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 4:22PM 
Major

Overstock had a deal for 15% off with $1 shipping, but it's expired now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 12-06-2006 10:31PM 
Drowning

yes GOW was a freaking awesome game on SD, and definately for the first half hour or so i couldnt even play it on HD because it was so rediculous. Other reasons you need HD is some games, dead rising comes to mind, is that they are made for it and trying to read some text can be tricky on SD.

Profile E-mail