* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:08AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Local SuSE 9.1 FTP Site
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 5:00AM 
Major

Source: TJ South
Hey folks,

I have a local FTP site up for SuSE 9.1 if anyone is interested, it's only 10 mbit, but is probably better than getting it from somewhere across the net. Eventually I'd like to throw it up on a 100 mbit connection, soon...ehehe.

Just download the boot image:
ftp://131.151.185.164/SuSE-i386/9.1/boot/boot.iso

Burn that, then throw the cd into your drive, boot off the disc (don't worry about not having CD 1), you'll enter text install, then you can select FTP, then enter

as the IP address, and

/SuSE-i386/9.1/

as the remote directory.

Installation should be rather quick, though if you select all the packages it could end up weighing in at ~4 gigs.

Anyways, don't know how many people here are really interested in Linux, but SuSE's a very nice distribution, and seeing as how this is a legitimate way of getting a professional distribution for free...well, here it is.

Best Regards,
Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 10:46AM 
Colonel

Location: No one's really sure what became of Castorite after graduation

Source: Off Campus
You forgot the most important part! Don't forget to check your MD5 sums with official sources! These should be downloaded strictly from the SUSE ftp site. You'd be missing the point if you cached these locally. Well, maybe not since it's signed with GnuPG, but I'd still get these files directly from the source since they're only a few kilobytes each.

Most unix-like machines might have GnuPG already installed. If not, it's easy to get the source and install. Windows users can use WinPT to verify the signature.

GnuPG signature for root MD5SUM:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/MD5SUMS.asc

Unix-like machines usually have a command line tool called 'md5sum'. Windows machines can use something called MD5summer available here.

boot.iso, SUSE installer, support tools, and sub-MD5 sums:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/MD5SUMS

Binary package MD5 manifests:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/suse/i586/MD5SUMS
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/suse/i686/MD5SUMS
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/su ... ch/MD5SUMS
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/suse/nosrc/MD5SUMS
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/suse/setup/MD5SUMS
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.1/suse/src/MD5SUMS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 12:25PM 
Major

Yeah, check the files if you like, but I got them straight from:

chuck.ucs.indiana.edu

I did a full install just fine with the local copy I have, so I doubt there are any errors in them. I'll check them anyhow, just to be sure.

The school only has a 45 mbit connection to the rest of the net, and a 45 mbit connection to I2, no reason to waste it.

Good call on checking the sums though...

Best Regards,
Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-12-2004 7:45PM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
And don't forget that UMR has Mandrake and (I think old) RedHat on the public ftp server. ftp://ftp.umr.edu/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 3:31AM 
Major

except that I've tried Mandrake 10 and got fed up with it, and redhat 9 is too old.

[[Th3_C124zY_P31250|\|]]
[not at UMR for a year... i need money first]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 3:57AM 
Spanish

Source: Off Campus
sdodd wrote:
And don't forget that UMR has Mandrake and (I think old) RedHat on the public ftp server. ftp://ftp.umr.edu/

yeah, too bad they dont host anything worthwhile, serously, it's boring as heck waiting for people to connect to bittorrent just so I can download slackware.
Oh well, I got my install cds already =\

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 8:05AM 

Source: Somewhere
Yeah, if UMR IT actually hosted SuSE/Slackware/Gentoo/Debian, that'd be cool...but since they host the...umm...(p.c. way to say this?), oh yeah, the shitty distros, well...

what they don't host I can provide, I plan on mirroring SuSE/Slackware(including an automatically updated slack-current)/Gentoo/Debian eventually, as soon as I get my lazy ass around to doing it.

Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 8:29AM 
Major

Hooray! the 500th post by me. anyway, SuSE 9.1 is way too fscking slow on my computer. I don't know what it is, whether it's my hardware or what, but I'm gonna wipe it and try Gentoo again... maybe I can get it to install without borking it too bad. I liked it because on this old P3-450 it could go from boot to login in under a minute. On a side note, would anybody on campus who has a linux box with GCC 3.3.x (preferably 3.3.3, use "gcc -v" to check) be willing to run distccd so i can cut compile times a bit? It runs with a nice level of 19 so it'll get out of the way when you use your computer... :?: I'd use the gpunix boxes, but they're running gcc 3.2.1 and i get linker errors when i try to use distcc with them...

[[Th3_C124zY_P31250|\|]]
[not at UMR for a year... i need money first]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-13-2004 10:46AM 
Major

wssy87 wrote:
Hooray! the 500th post by me. anyway, SuSE 9.1 is way too fscking slow on my computer. I don't know what it is, whether it's my hardware or what, but I'm gonna wipe it and try Gentoo again... maybe I can get it to install without borking it too bad. I liked it because on this old P3-450 it could go from boot to login in under a minute. On a side note, would anybody on campus who has a linux box with GCC 3.3.x (preferably 3.3.3, use "gcc -v" to check) be willing to run distccd so i can cut compile times a bit? It runs with a nice level of 19 so it'll get out of the way when you use your computer... :?: I'd use the gpunix boxes, but they're running gcc 3.2.1 and i get linker errors when i try to use distcc with them...

Yeah, SuSE sucks if you have a slower machine...all the major distributions now are tending to take up shit-tons of resources. But if you have a computer that's powerful enough (say 750-whatever ghz) with enough ram(512 is nice =) it runs beautifully.

Anyways...back to work =P

~ Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-14-2004 2:23PM 

Source: Somewhere
750 ghz? i want one of those!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-14-2004 3:45PM 
Major

Anonymous wrote:
750 ghz? i want one of those!

Umm...yeah...I meant 750 mhz to ? ghz, meaning 750 mhz to whatever is best know ghz wise (3.2 or something).

But yeah, anyways, I've thrown FreeBSD 5.2.1 on the server, should be the same ftp wise.

New Address:
ftp://131.151.185.142/SuSE-9.1/9.1