Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:14AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 1:22PM 
Sergeant

Source: RC II
I listen to pretty much every sub-genre. Though I'd have to say my favorites are Death, Diabolical Masquerade (hell, pretty much everything Swanö has done) and probably Haggard. Though lately I've been getting into Anata as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 1:26PM 
Drowning

Source: Off Campus
uh huh, make me a list and i will see. I have no clue what you are talking about though.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 1:31PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
wait till benladen gets into the thread.. he knows the most afaik

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 5:12PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

blitzvergnugen wrote:

Haha, thanks.

Anyways, I listen to about every sub-genre of metal except the ones where about 99% of it is complete crap (e.g. nu-metal, grindcore, grindgore, etc). I'll just copy the list off my facebook profile of the bands that I listen to the most. Keep in mind, this isn't necessarily all the bands I listen to.

Alternative metal: Apocalyptica, Deftones, Mudvayne, Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down, The Fall of Troy, Thrice

Metalcore: Alexisonfire, Between the Buried and Me, Converge, Darkest Hour, Lamb of God, SikTh, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Human Abstract

Post-Metal: Battle of Mice, Callisto, Isis, Kayo Dot, Mouth of the Architect, Pelican, Rosetta, Russian Circles

Doom/Death/Folk Metal: Agalloch, Anathema, Lykathea Aflame, Opeth, The Black Dahlia Murder

Progressive Metal: Buckethead, Dream Theater, Mastodon

With that said, I have to ask about the point of this thread. Did you just want us to list the bands we like? Or get some kind of other discussion going?

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 5:33PM 
Brigadier General

Anyone like blacktide?

Also I listen to a lot of Dragonforce, Kamelot, Slipknot, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 5:40PM 
Captain

Titanium is pretty cool. Never been a huge steel fan. I had a golf glub with a graphite shaft that would wobble a lot too.

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 5:49PM 
Captain

cmptrnrd16 wrote:
Anyone like blacktide?

Also I listen to a lot of Dragonforce, Kamelot, Slipknot, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold.

I tried Black Tide. Didn't really click with me. I'm a big fan of Kamelot, Atreyu, Bullet, and Avenged as well.

I don't really like hardcore metal, as my ears can't decipher most of what's happening, and it turns out sounding like mostly noise. That said, I really enjoy progressive and composition-oriented metal.

My metal list (if I wasn't sure, I added it because Wiki said it was metal, bold are big favorites): 3 Inches of Blood, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Ayreon, Blind Guardian, Bullet For My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Demons & Wizards, Devin Townsend, DragonForce, Dream Theater, Epica, Ill Niño, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nine Inch Nails, Pain of Salvation, Ra, Sevendust, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, System of a Down, Taproot, The Confession, The Dreaming.

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 8:27PM 
Major General

ben laden wrote:
blitzvergnugen wrote:

Haha, thanks.

Anyways, I listen to about every sub-genre of metal except the ones where about 99% of it is complete crap (e.g. nu-metal, grindcore, grindgore, etc). I'll just copy the list off my facebook profile of the bands that I listen to the most. Keep in mind, this isn't necessarily all the bands I listen to.

Alternative metal: Apocalyptica, Deftones, Mudvayne, Nine Inch Nails, System of a Down, The Fall of Troy, Thrice

Metalcore: Alexisonfire, Between the Buried and Me, Converge, Darkest Hour, Lamb of God, SikTh, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Human Abstract

Post-Metal: Battle of Mice, Callisto, Isis, Kayo Dot, Mouth of the Architect, Pelican, Rosetta, Russian Circles

Doom/Death/Folk Metal: Agalloch, Anathema, Lykathea Aflame, Opeth, The Black Dahlia Murder

Progressive Metal: Buckethead, Dream Theater, Mastodon

With that said, I have to ask about the point of this thread. Did you just want us to list the bands we like? Or get some kind of other discussion going?

Ha.. I take street cred for getting you into Fall of Troy.. that said

I'd like to add "Every Time I Die" and "Maylene and the Sons of Disaster" to the list. Both have some slightly trashy/grungy feel to them, with Maylene being a strong southern trash.. great stuff. August Burns Red is a good up & coming band.

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 8:53PM 

Source: Wilson Library
BlackDragonHunt wrote:
My metal list (if I wasn't sure, I added it because Wiki said it was metal, bold are big favorites): 3 Inches of Blood, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Ayreon, Blind Guardian, Bullet For My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Demons & Wizards, Devin Townsend, DragonForce, Dream Theater, Epica, Ill Niño, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nine Inch Nails, Pain of Salvation, Ra, Sevendust, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, System of a Down, Taproot, The Confession, The Dreaming.

Looks like you like a lot of power and progressive metal. Check out Circus Maximus and Iced Earth. You'd also probably like Porcupine Tree (I suggest their recent CD "Fear of a Blank Planet" or "In Absentia").

@blitz, yeah, you definitely got me into FoT, I appreciate it. But "August Burns Red"? Argh! I mean, I listen to them sometimes, but they're pretty generic metalcore. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 9:49PM 
Sergeant

Source: RC II
ben laden wrote:

A bit of both really, also I figured it'd be an introduction of sorts.

I like all the bands you have listed under the doom/death/folk label, 'cept Black Dahlia which I haven't gotten around to listening to yet. Though Anathema being there is a bit debatable; I'd say they're more prog rock than anything anymore. (Nothing against Anathema, they're actually a band I listen to fairly often, Angelica is awesome.) If you want a good doom band to listen to, you could try out Warning.

Also, I really fucking want to go to the progressive nation tour, or the Virgin black/Samael tour. Good god, why do all the bands that I listen to have to ignore Missouri.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 10:14PM 
Major General

August Burns Red is more of a band I vent with now a days, I liked their first album better and mainly for the drumming/understandable vocals.

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 10:18PM 

blitzvergnugen wrote:
August Burns Red is more of a band I vent with now a days, I liked their first album better and mainly for the drumming/understandable vocals.

heh, the drumming IS pretty nice, one of the most redeemable features of the band.

Czernobog wrote:
I like all the bands you have listed under the doom/death/folk label, 'cept Black Dahlia which I haven't gotten around to listening to yet. Though Anathema being there is a bit debatable; I'd say they're more prog rock than anything anymore. (Nothing against Anathema, they're actually a band I listen to fairly often, Angelica is awesome.) If you want a good doom band to listen to, you could try out Warning.

Also, I really fucking want to go to the progressive nation tour, or the Virgin black/Samael tour. Good god, why do all the bands that I listen to have to ignore Missouri.

Well yeah, they're not really doom anymore; now they're mostly alternative, but eh, whatever.

Yeah, progressive nation tour would be pretty badass with DT, Opeth, and BTBAM, but as you say (and like I've been saying for years), no good bands fucking come here.

However, I just found out Mouth of the Architect will be here in September.
I highly recommend you listen to the song I'm going to link.
http://www.last.fm/music/Mouth+of+the+A ... t/_/Baobab

PostPosted: Wed 05-14-2008 10:44PM 
Captain

@ben laden: I appreciate the recommendations. I'll check 'em out as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Thu 05-15-2008 10:55AM 

BlackDragonHunt wrote:
@ben laden: I appreciate the recommendations. I'll check 'em out as soon as I can.

Yeah, no problem, let me know if you need help finding anything.

This is my last.fm for those interested:
http://www.last.fm/user/potatohamster

PostPosted: Thu 05-15-2008 4:22PM 
Major General

ben laden wrote:
no good bands fucking come here.

Bah, except for Pelican, which I had to miss after I had bought tickets. Stupid station meeting...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next