Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 04-25-2024 10:56AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: cs285
PostPosted: Fri 11-02-2007 9:47AM 
Captain

Source: VPN
Has anyone actually taken this class with Cheng? I see vague statements of "Very bad professor" on ratemyprofessor. I had her for 153 and remember she wasn't the best teacher, but she did go to another lecturer's class to make sure she could teach ours.

Any info on a syllabus or assignments or tests would be great as I can't find that information anywhere. Also is she a fair grader?

Sidenote: has anyone taken etymology306?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-02-2007 11:19AM 
Drowning

ive taken etymology 306, interesting class and guaranteed B
little work for an A

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-02-2007 11:24AM 
Captain

Details from the syllabus:
Grading:
A=85-100
B=75-84
C=65-74
D=55-64

There is homework, but it does not count for a grade. You do it, turn it in, the grader will grade it but it is only for your benefit. It does not count towards your grade in the course.

Your grade is determined by 7 tests (10% each) and a 2 projects (10 and 20% each). The tests will determine how well you can remember equations and algorithms. There were little to no questions on theory or concepts. Grading is fairly cut and dry, either you remembered how to do the computation/perform the algorithm or you did not. Grading on the projects will depend on the TA.

The class covers the basic TCP/IP protocol stack (and nothing else)
Application
Transport
Network
Link
Physical

You'll spend a few weeks on each layer and learn a few algorithms for each. You'll spend alot of time computing packet sizes, channel throughputs (bits/second), and packet delivery times.

The first project is to use a buggy linux based emulator to implement some network layer protocols. The second project is to create a networked game. The emphasis of course is on how you design the communication protocols and what data you transmit and why. For each project you'll write a report. You can do the first project solo or in a group, but the second must be in a group of at least 2 people if I remember correctly.

Cheng has a language barrier problem. She can speak english ok, but she has a very difficult time understanding what you are asking her. When I took the course, the students would ask her a question and she would give an answer that had nothing to do with the question. If you tried to reword the question or ask again she would look at you like you're an idiot and move on or answer again with something completely off topic. Usually the other students would then help out by answering the question and she still wouldn't understand what the question was. She knows the material and teaches it ok, but she has a hard time interacting with students.

Profile E-mail