Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 7:24PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ME 280 - Control System Lab
PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 5:34PM 
Lieutenant

Source: RC I
What's this course like? Is it easy as far as labs go or is it pretty tough? I'm trying to decide whether to tack it onto my 18 credit semester next fall or not.

Post subject: Re: ME 280 - Control System Lab
PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 6:26PM 
Brigadier General

Source: ERL Building
I would get rid of the 18 hour semester. 18 hours really sucks, especially if you have labs in the mix.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 8:45PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
It's easy enough--the key to ME 280 is getting it all done as early as possible. You're gonna be tempted to leave before your three hours is up every week. Don't do it. You can get done with the whole class in 10 or 11 weeks, and then you'll have time to concentrate on your more important classes come finals time. But 18 hours does suck.

PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 9:51PM 
Lieutenant

bagvwf wrote:
It's easy enough--the key to ME 280 is getting it all done as early as possible. You're gonna be tempted to leave before your three hours is up every week. Don't do it. You can get done with the whole class in 10 or 11 weeks, and then you'll have time to concentrate on your more important classes come finals time.

Oh, so you can basically work ahead on the labs? How much out of class work is there?

PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 10:50PM 
Major General

The deal is this--You're given a Labview project (actually a series of tutorials for you to work through) which you work through with a partner. You get through those and write two little project reports, basically you answer all the questions in the labs. You get seven weeks to do that but if you can get it done in five, cool. (You can if you use your allotted three hours, rather than just trying to get to a section and quitting.) The other half of the lab is a PLC project--if you have any exposure to relay logic or PLCs it goes by fast, but even if you don't it's not too bad if you can think of it as switches wired to bells. All you have to do is recreate a certain situation in relay logic, and you're given seven weeks to do it--pretty much everybody finishes it up in four or five.

If you can manage it, get on Labview first, finish it up early, and then six weeks in, take the newly-empty PLC trainer station and start working on it. Do that and you can be out in 10 weeks, with the exception of the final.

PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 11:24PM 
Lieutenant

bagvwf wrote:
The deal is this--You're given a Labview project (actually a series of tutorials for you to work through) which you work through with a partner. You get through those and write two little project reports, basically you answer all the questions in the labs. You get seven weeks to do that but if you can get it done in five, cool. (You can if you use your allotted three hours, rather than just trying to get to a section and quitting.) The other half of the lab is a PLC project--if you have any exposure to relay logic or PLCs it goes by fast, but even if you don't it's not too bad if you can think of it as switches wired to bells. All you have to do is recreate a certain situation in relay logic, and you're given seven weeks to do it--pretty much everybody finishes it up in four or five.

If you can manage it, get on Labview first, finish it up early, and then six weeks in, take the newly-empty PLC trainer station and start working on it. Do that and you can be out in 10 weeks, with the exception of the final.

Thanks a lot for such detailed information. One clarification though please: from your description it sounds like there's virtually no outside the class work other than the little reports? Is this the case?

PostPosted: Mon 03-17-2008 10:11AM 
Major General

There is very little outside-of-class work with the exception of those two reports and planning your deal for the PLC project. I think you actually have to orally defend your PLC project, at least we did. In total, you can cobble your reports together in two or three hours each outside class; and there's actually some amount of time in class to do it too especially if you get ahead. There's no other outside work, other than studying for the final. It's nice because it's one of those one-hour labs that really only takes the three hours a week.

Just make sure you DO those reports. There's 100 points in the whole class and missing one assignment kills your grade. I missed one and I ended up having to drop and take it over again.