Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 04-19-2024 9:59AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: English classes
PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 7:10PM 
Sergeant

Source: Sigma Pi
I have to take six hours of literature classes. Any ideas on the easiest ones to do and which teachers to avoid in the English department?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: English classes
PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 7:56PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: TJ North
English 106 (late american lit) with John Morgan is pretty easy, all you have to do is read and you are almost guaranteed and A, that is how easy the quizzes/tests are.

PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 9:05PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
Any of your lit classes are going to be ok. I took English 80 my freshman year, and that teacher is long gone, but it was neat because I had it over a Tuesday and Thursday, and you had all weekend from Thursday to Tuesday to do the readings--about an hour or two a week.

English 75 with Knight is supposed to be a breeze--never had it.

PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 11:44PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ North
Kamakazi wrote:
English 106 (late american lit) with John Morgan is pretty easy, all you have to do is read and you are almost guaranteed and A, that is how easy the quizzes/tests are.

But with Watts... he's a good guy, the style of tests make me a sad panda, however. It's not what you learned, it's what you remember.

PostPosted: Sun 03-16-2008 11:57PM 
Brigadier General

Swenson and Drowne are both decent (I prefer Drowne), but neither is outstandingly easy. Swenson has clicker quizzes at the beginning of most class periods (and clicker attendance quizzes at the beginning of every class), so you have to show up a lot in order to get an A. Drowne, on the other hand, is a really nice lady who won't put you to sleep, but she expects a lot of participation.

From what I hear, if you're going for an easy-A, take a class with Knight. I've never had him, but he's apparently one of the easier teachers around (no, not Jay Leno style).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-17-2008 1:34AM 
Sergeant

Source: Sigma Pi
Do the Lit classes here require much paper writing? I'm fine with essays but papers I'm terrible at.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-17-2008 8:23AM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
That depends on your prof. Salmons requires a paper (105). Watts as of now does not require one but the tests take some effort if you haven't studied past the authors and the titles (short answer and essay). Knight requires a paper, too (105). But the thing with Knight is, you literally don't have to show up to class except the one day when you have to give a 5 minute oral report about one of the stories you're supposed to read in that class. Even on the days when you're supposed to hand in each third of the paper (5 pages for each section, each section should discuss 2+ stories based on a theme of your choice, for a total of 15 pages), you can just stand outside the classroom until everyone leaves and sneak in and put your paper on his desk (my only classes on MWF were right after and across the hall from one another).

http://designsbykathryn.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

PostPosted: Mon 03-17-2008 12:31PM 
Brigadier General

Source: CompSci Building
Knight doesn't teach anymore. I had him last semester and he said it was his last semester teaching here. He was awesome. You just needed to write 3 5 page papers and no matter what you said you got an A+, and A++, and an A+++ respectively. My "5 minute" presentation was about 1 minute of me talking and 10 minutes of him talking. That class was worthless but I'll take the easy A.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-17-2008 8:04PM 
Brigadier General

Dr. Knight said it was his last semester of teaching like 6 semester's ago. If you can get into a class taught by him, you shouldn't have any problems. I wrote my final paper for his class in about three hours and got an "A++++" and some other positive comments. I stopped going to class after my presentation on day 3.

PostPosted: Fri 03-21-2008 10:30AM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
If it just has to be language, I would recommend Etymology 306. It counts as upper level humanities if you need that.

Profile E-mail