Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Mon 04-22-2024 11:29PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Degree Audit
PostPosted: Tue 03-18-2008 8:24AM 
Captain

Source: Fidelity
I'm going for Computer Engineering and when I do a degree audit in 16 COMPUTER ENGINEERING ELECTIVES I see something like this:
Code:
4) CHECK FOR 6 HRS OF 200/300 ENGINEERING OR COMPUTER
        SCIENCE COURSES
         NEEDS:    6.0 HOURS
5) SENIOR ELECTIVE (B,C,D)
         NEEDS:    9.0 HOURS       
         SELECT FROM: AERO ENG 2**  , 3**    CER ENG  2**  ,
            3**    CHEM ENG 2**  , 3**    CHEM     2**  ,
            3**    COMP ENG 2**  , 3**    CIV ENG  2**  ,
            3**    COMP SCI 2**  , 3**    ELEC ENG 2**  ............

Is 4 just checking to make sure that of the three classes for 5 atleast two of them are 200/300 of my major? Or does this mean that I have to take a total of 15 hours?

I'm meeting with my advisor later this week, but I'd like to know the answer now. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Degree Audit
PostPosted: Tue 03-18-2008 8:56AM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Generally unless there are exclusions or additional instructions listed, it will count on your degree audit. I would definitely go ahead and check with your advisor, but it might be good to check with the registrar as well. They say who gets a degree and who doesn't, and advisors have been known to be wrong from time to time... Of course, the registrar has been known to be wrong as well, so that's why it's good to make sure you have record of anything they tell you. :)

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 1:02PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
Can anyone get to the interactive degree audit or just to the text version; every time I try I get an invalid response.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 1:13PM 
Major General

Source: CSF Building
mwsgh6 wrote:
Can anyone get to the interactive degree audit or just to the text version; every time I try I get an invalid response.

Yea the interactive has never worked for me, only the text.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 1:30PM 
post whore
post whore

Source: VPN
Interactive worked for me once. It was cool while it lasted and was all color coded and stuff - basically a HTML version of the text one with more intuitive formatting.

But it hasn't worked for a few semesters now... bummer.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 1:38PM 
Lieutenant

Interactive works fine for me and my roommates, I've requested and viewed an audit several times over the past week or so.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 2:25PM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
it doesn't work for me very well. But there isn't much advantage when it was working.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 5:43PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

The problem I found a while back is that on any given computer, I noticed you have one and EXACTLY one chance to authenticate (username/password) in order to use the interactive audit. If you fail it, miss out, hit Enter at the wrong time, whatever, then it will lock you out of the Interactive part, and there's no way for you to reset.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 6:12PM 
Captain

On another note why can’t you just click a button and have it take you to your degree audit; maybe show a progress bar while it is looking up the info. Requesting a degree audit and then clicking refresh until it pops up seems like they have overcomplicated it to me.

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 6:14PM 
Brigadier General

mwsgh6 wrote:
On another note why can’t you just click a button and have it take you to your degree audit; maybe show a progress bar while it is looking up the info. Requesting a degree audit and then clicking refresh until it pops up seems like they have overcomplicated it to me.

Most of Joe'ss seems overly complicated to me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 03-19-2008 6:33PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Those degree audits seem like they're running on the legacy system, vintage '92 or some other. They're processed in the same way as the ones that you had in STAR. (You remember STAR, right? Anybody remember STAR? Good ol' 24x80 terminal?) The only difference was in STAR, you had one screen where you requested the degree audit, then you went back out to the top-level menu to view it. Made sense because they were purpose-independent; one was a field lookup and one was a reader. Also what you were doing was scheduling a background process to run, since it had to import all of your records and exceptions and check them against a set of rules. Nowadays we can do all that dynamically...

What it seems to me is that the same clearinghouse system (the CAPS or DARS or whatever it's called now) is being employed--perhaps not on the same hardware, but definitely the same software. (And why not? It works.) Although it seems to me that if you're going to spend 58 million dollars re-programming your entire database solution and training your staff to use it, you could spend the extra 350,000 on a new, more intuitive degree requirement clearinghouse setup.

Of course, I think they could have went with Oracle, SAP [strike]or even AS/400[/strike] (no, that would have been horrible) and been better off. Would have liked to seen SAP, that was probably bid too high though. Eh, what we've got is a little clumsy but it works.

PostPosted: Fri 03-21-2008 9:26AM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
bagvwf wrote:
Would have liked to seen SAP, that was probably bid too high though. Eh, what we've got is a little clumsy but it works.

Doesn't SAP require client side to run? I agree that SAP probably would have been more user friendly than PeopleSoft, but I don't like having to install software on every computer to use.

Profile E-mail