Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:18PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ankle Sprain Treatments
PostPosted: Fri 12-08-2006 2:59AM 
Major

Source: Kelly Hall
So I sprain my ankle and everyone says use the R.I.C.E treatment but I heard from a friend that rest, ice, compress and elevate are actually harmful to a ankle injury. He actually said something bout MEAT - basically movement and excercise. So I was wondering if anyone has an idea of which method is the more useful.

500GB WD
DVD +-RW
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE
22 in Dell E228WFP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 12-08-2006 4:03AM 
Lieutenant General

Source: Off Campus
If it is just an ankle sprain (not broken bone/torn shit) WALK on it. When I used to get them all the time, if I rested it, it hurt much worse, but if I was able to tough it out and walk on it, it only hurt bad in the mornings (when it was stiff) until I got it loosened up. If you can walk on it do... just be extra careful not to sprain it again :oops:

DISCLAIMER:: I do not have any medical training. I do not have any scientific evidence to back this up, other than my own experieces. Good luck.

Oh, and if you absolutely cannot bear to walk on it, slush (ice + water) it. It will hurt horribly, but if you go 15 min in/ 15-30 min out it will heal really fast. Like I said though, this is extremely painful (or maybe I am just a sissy).

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 12-08-2006 6:40PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Kelly Hall
It depends on the severity of the sprain/strain and your body type. I've found that I tend to get good results when I use ice but still use it gently. But I also have enough problems that I have my own crutches, so take that for what ever you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 12-09-2006 7:38PM 
Major

Source: TJ North
What I've been taught (Highest cert=Wilderness First Responder, WMA) is to RICE (Rest; ice/slush 20min on, 20min off, wrap in a towel/t-shirt so you don't freeze your skin; ACE Bandage, not so tight that you can't feel your toes; above the heart) for 24-72 hours, while maintaining restricted activity throughout (don't do anything that makes it hurt). The reasoning behind RICE is to stop the initial swelling as swelling increases pain, sensitivity, and healing time. After the initial swelling has passed, there's no need to RICE anymore, and you just do the restricted activity until it doesn't hurt at all.

Never heard of 'MEAT' before, but google talks about it being used for ligament injuries (sprains) and not for muscle/tendon injuries (strains). AFAIK, there's no real easy way to tell the difference between the two, unless you know the musculature of the area (i don't).

Meds will help too. Ibuprofin (Motrin, Advil) works great as an anti-inflammatory, Aceametaphine (Tylenol) does jack shit for swelling. Asprin's really only recommended for heart attack victims anymore because it's really good at thinning the blood and preventing clotting, which can be bad.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ankle Sprain Treatments
PostPosted: Mon 01-08-2007 11:35AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Triangle
MstngStreet wrote:
[...] but I heard from a friend that rest, ice, compress and elevate are actually harmful to a ankle injury. He actually said something bout MEAT - basically movement and excercise.

Your friend is retarded. When I sprang my ankle my father, who IS a doctor, told me exactly the opposite of what your friend said. That is of course if you are not part of a rehabilitation program.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/muscle_problems ... genumber=3

http://www.aperturescience.com/