Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:03PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Local Motorcycle Riders
PostPosted: Thu 09-06-2007 11:49AM 
Lieutenant

Source: RC I
I'm just curious how many active motorcycle riders there are around here. I'm kind of looking for people to ride with on a regular basis. Particularly sportbike/sport-touring bike riders and/or riders who don't mind some distance/seat time. My favorite afternoon ride route is 160 miles, takes about 3 hours at a reasonably spirited pace.

Anyways, I think it'd be cool if we had some sort of directory of active riders looking for people to ride with (of all styles of bikes and types of riding). Sp any riders or groups of riders who'd like to ride more with other people please post here with your type of bike and preferred type of riding.

I ride a 2002 Suzuki Bandit 600S, and I prefer spirited rides focused on twisties, and long distance rides (particularly multi-day trips). But a simple cruise every now and then is fun too. I just enjoy riding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-06-2007 12:06PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Myself and 4 friends of mine like to take the occasional cruise. Ours usually aren't that long, as we like to keep rides around one hour. I ride a 2000 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200XL, my buddies ride a 2003 Honda Shadow 750, 200- Yamaha YZF R1, 1998 Kawasaki VN750, and some other old bike.

I don't mind any type of riding. Even though I ride a cruiser, I don't mind 'spirited' rides, but usually when riding in a group I'm more cautious as I'm usually the leader and don't want anyone getting hurt on account of a mistake I may make.

I usually don't have the time to do exceptionally long rides, but have on multiple occasions gone several hundred miles on a ride (not just a cruise, however). I'm always up for a short cruise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 09-09-2007 1:29AM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
I'm new to the riding scene, I've got an old Kawasaki and I'm trying to get it into good enough condition to take on multi-hour trips. Hopefully that will happen before the snow flies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 09-10-2007 5:47PM 
Brigadier General

bagvwf wrote:
I'm new to the riding scene, I've got an old Kawasaki and I'm trying to get it into good enough condition to take on multi-hour trips. Hopefully that will happen before the snow flies.

what kinda saki do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-12-2007 11:55PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

It's a '79 KZ750. It's a twin, and I'm finding that the aftermarket is built primarily around the 80-83 KZ750s which were straight 4s. So I've had a little trouble finding performance parts but I've actually done alright with what I've got. Just installed a new exhaust to replace my leaky pipes and rusted-out muffler. Next things I'm tackling are replacing the points on the ignition and setting timing, and then rebuilding the carburetors/tearing out the old airbox and running clamp-on K&N's/cleaning the gas tank. After that, hopefully I'll have a brand-new motorcycle. Or at least I'll have power over 50 mph--it's great around town but very hesitant at highway speeds. Bit of a gas hog too for a motorcycle, hopefully the carb rebuild will fix that.

I'm kinda learning as I go. I'm not at all afraid of turning wrenches and following what has proved to be a VERY thorough shop manual, but I haven't had any experience with points ignition or with tuning carburetors. So this will be a long interesting weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 09-13-2007 5:39AM 
Brigadier General

bagvwf wrote:
It's a '79 KZ750. It's a twin, and I'm finding that the aftermarket is built primarily around the 80-83 KZ750s which were straight 4s. So I've had a little trouble finding performance parts but I've actually done alright with what I've got. Just installed a new exhaust to replace my leaky pipes and rusted-out muffler. Next things I'm tackling are replacing the points on the ignition and setting timing, and then rebuilding the carburetors/tearing out the old airbox and running clamp-on K&N's/cleaning the gas tank. After that, hopefully I'll have a brand-new motorcycle. Or at least I'll have power over 50 mph--it's great around town but very hesitant at highway speeds. Bit of a gas hog too for a motorcycle, hopefully the carb rebuild will fix that.

I'm kinda learning as I go. I'm not at all afraid of turning wrenches and following what has proved to be a VERY thorough shop manual, but I haven't had any experience with points ignition or with tuning carburetors. So this will be a long interesting weekend.

heck yeah man, vintage is the way to go. i have a 77 kz400 i turned into a cafe racer. real cool bikes. I think I've seen your bike once around town. i know i seen a late 70s kz650 around.

yeah, you won't find much in aftermarket performance unless its a kz900/1000. all you can really do is exhaust, rejet, and shave off weight. Now, you may have to change your jet's after installing pods and an aftermarket exhaust. i had to. these bikes are picky without stock parts. best way to find out afterwards is, check your spark plug coloring.

don't forget to adjust the cam chain and the valve clearence before adjusting the timing.

here's a website dedicated to kawasaki twins http://www.kz400.com A lot of good info and i think there's free manuals to download. Check this place out http://www.z1enterprises.com Has all the stuff you need to service a bike at cheaper prices then the dealer.

post some pics, i like lookin at the old bikes. unfortunately i don't live in town anymore, i commute, otherwise we could shoot the sh*t and get your bike serviced.