Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:23PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Audio Enhancer?
PostPosted: Fri 07-25-2008 6:54PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
So I've got some home movies and nova specials with rather low sound volume. The quality seems fine, but with every possible level of volume turned up, it's still shitty quiet, and I know my speakers can do better.

Does anyone konwof a program that can turn up the volume a little more for me, without actually editing the file?

I should get paid for this shit...

Someone please tell me to do my homework.

Post subject: Re: Audio Enhancer?
PostPosted: Sat 07-26-2008 12:59AM 
Captain

Source: Off Campus
First, I recommend using the CCCP. Just because it's got FFDShow and Media Player Classic in the same pack. http://www.cccp-project.net/ Though, I guess it's not necessary, as long as you can get FFDShow to take control of your decoding.

[Optional, assuming you're using CCCP]: On the settings, you should have the FFDShow Audio Decoders checked for everything. Go to MPC's options, on the side, choose "Internal Filters," and basically disable everything. CCCP's Haali Media Splitter (and DirectVobSub, in the case of subtitles) does everything 10x better than the internal filters.

Anyway. Once you're at a point where FFDShow controls your decoding (VLC doesn't work for this, FYI), you should be able to see a red and a blue icon on the taskbar (only while there's a video running). The red one's for video, and the blue one is for audio. Right-click the blue one, and then click on "ffdshow Audio Decoder."

There should be a list of options on the left. Click on Volume, make sure it's checked on the left so that it's enabled. From here you can set up a default volume. If it's still too quiet, check "Normalize" and that'll enable even more amplification. Up to whatever you put in the little box (500% is default, I think). If you leave the window open while it's playing, the "Current:" thing will tell you how much it's being amplified.

With most things, it's unnecessary to keep the "Volume" filter on, but when things are really quiet (like a lot of HD movies, I've noticed), that'll crank it up without harming the quality or modifying the file. And, since you've got it set up now, you can just click on the "Volume" option straight from the taskbar icon to enable/disable it instead of going through the menu stuff.