Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:55AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: anybody else have problems with fidnet?
PostPosted: Wed 08-27-2008 7:23PM 
Drowning

Source: Fidelity
its been pretty re-goddamn-diculous recently. It seems when ever i get close to actually getting the speed i payed for I get immense packet loss, rinse and repeat. I wouldnt be surprised if this was fidelities form of packet shaping, when Im not downloading anything or just browsing it seems to work just fine. $60/mo for 3mbps is already bullshit not to mention I can only get to 2mbps before I lose everything.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: anybody else have problems with fidnet?
PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 6:31AM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
holy shit yes.. we have a house with 8 people, so i was thinking someone was being a bandwidth whore, but apparently not. I'm actually kinda glad to hear we're not the only ones, I was thinking it was a problem on our end. I don't really know that much about it, but yeah ours has also been unbelievably bad the last few days...

PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 8:06AM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

yes

On a side note, it only seems to fuck with me when I turn on downloads.

If I am just sitting here browsing/IRC/MSN it is just fine, but when I add in more stuff it starts to shit itself.

PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 10:35AM 
Brigadier General

Mine's been going down all day today... off/on shitty spotty service but at least I'm getting my full bandwidth though.

PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 11:01AM 
Major General

Surprisingly not recently. I guess they don't figure 1 meg users will use that much so they don't bother to throttle their connection. I'll show them what for.

PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 11:30AM 
Drowning

Source: EE Building
Im going to be calling them today, now that I see its not just me. Inflated prices should at least mean that it is a stable connection. I realize all companies say that you can get UP TO the advertised bandwith but not guaranteed but dropping your connection when you do is absolutely ridiculous.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 11:44AM 
Major

We are also having problems, the last couple days ive been doing speed tests and getting between 600kbs to 900kbs, with nothing downloading. Its really starting to piss me off, but apparently there are people with fidnet that have no connection at all.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 12:43PM 
Major

We live way out on the edge of town, and ours has behaved itself so far, although one of my housemates connection dies for about 15 minutes when he tries to play a LAN game of Chaos Theory.

PostPosted: Thu 08-28-2008 3:24PM 
Major

Source: CompSci Building
I haven't had any problems at all. Fidelity has been quite good to me.

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 11:36AM 
Drowning

Had a tech come out today and replaced my modem, within a half an hour I am d/c'ing like crazy again

called the billing department and said I am not paying for a service I am not getting, to see if I can get a waiver for this month where it hasnt worked for shit.

Also sent the helpdesk an e-mail
Quote:
My internet is very unstable, usually when getting higher speeds (2mbps or higher). I use my own and fidnet newsgroup service and whenever my connection gets above 2mbps within a minute my entire connection will suffer a massive packet loss and disconnect everything. Today was the second time for a repair man to come out and try and diagnose the problem. I received a new modem which seemed to work but it is doing it again. I have replicated the same instance on a different computer, also plugged straight into the modem. I doubt sending another technician to give me yet another modem will solve the issue. I have no idea what the problem is but if I cannot get your, "Always On: No busy signals. No waiting on a modem. No disconnections. Cable Modem Internet service is a direct link to the Internet. " then I would need to take my business elsewhere. Sorry if this sounds rude but your prices are high and I am not a satisfied customer.

excuse my grammar mistakes, being pissed off makes me dumb.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 11:48AM 
Major

yeah, we've still been having really slow speeds as well.... the last couple weeks. it's getting really really gay.

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 11:55AM 
Major

I use Embarq DSL, and I had some problems with my connection when they first installed it, but they ran a new line from the switch to my house and that solved the problems. I have a 3m down 512k up connection that is rock solid. I get very close to advertised speed at all times, even during busy times, and in off hours if im running heavy downloading through bittorrent I have gotten up to 5 m down before. all of this for $40 a month with a static IP. They are supposed to have a 5m connection in town now, but I haven't inquired about upgrading my connection yet.

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 12:22PM 
Brigadier General

jacoby0419 wrote:
I use Embarq DSL, and I had some problems with my connection when they first installed it, but they ran a new line from the switch to my house and that solved the problems. I have a 3m down 512k up connection that is rock solid. I get very close to advertised speed at all times, even during busy times, and in off hours if im running heavy downloading through bittorrent I have gotten up to 5 m down before. all of this for $40 a month with a static IP. They are supposed to have a 5m connection in town now, but I haven't inquired about upgrading my connection yet.

I've called them, it's actually 6mb in Rolla through Embarq. Although it depends on your location whether you get the full 6mb. They told me i can get 5mb easy enough though and if you tell them you dont want a contract you dont have to sign one. They'll wave it which is pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 12:41PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
Yeah, we are getting our bill waived for this month, and until they fix it, which is nice.

They send they would send a tech out (for the third time) but he hasn't come yet. It is quite ridiculous.

And the speed thing is ridiculous, feels like being on campus last year, the only time you can get full/decent connection speed is between 3AM and 9AM, other than that you are screwed.

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 12:42PM 
Drowning

If they cant solve this problem I will refuse payment, and look into embarq

Profile E-mail