Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 12:57PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Google Chrome
PostPosted: Wed 09-03-2008 10:32AM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
What is everyone's thoughts about Google Chrome? I kinda like the feature of having every tab be a separate process. Although I'm a little concerned about this part of their EULA/ToS
Quote:
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Google Chrome
PostPosted: Wed 09-03-2008 12:19PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
I really like it so far. Keeps everything nice and clean. A few bugs still it appears. It started shitting a brick yesterday when I tried to open a pdf file in blackboard. And windows live mail thinks you need to upgrade your browser... but that's not really a problem. Windows live/msn/hotmail is pretty gay anyway..a thing of the past that I'm only still using because those bastards won't allow me to forward mail to my gmail.

PostPosted: Wed 09-03-2008 2:23PM 
Major

Source: RC II
Haven't used it yet. But I'm sure we will start using Google's products more and more as Google starts taking over everything.

PostPosted: Wed 09-03-2008 10:47PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
I don't know that I can go back to a browser without adblock plus - and since Google's business model is based upon serving relevant ads, I don't foresee them deciding to code their own version of ABP for the browser. I also really like some of my FF3 extensions, and UI. The only thing that I don't like about FireFox is it's a hoss when it comes to memory usage - not that this is much of an issue if you have plenty of memory, but there's no reason a web browser should be using a quarter gig of ram.

The biggest reason for me to stick with FF3 though is ABP. It literally cuts load times in half (or better) - many times it takes the ad server like 1.5+ seconds to load, but loading the page with ads disabled takes under 0.6-0.7 seconds.

slightly relevant edit:
apparently Microsoft doesn't even give a damn about how many resources are consumed by their browser (linky), and are essentially saying "fuck computers now. In like 5 years IE will kick ass". You know you've got a problem when your software chokes up a 2.66ghz C2D.