Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:58AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: connecting laptop to TV
PostPosted: Sun 08-22-2010 2:58PM 
Sergeant

Source: Wilson Library
I have a newer (within the last year, dedicated graphics card) laptop with HDMI and VGA outputs. I am trying to hook it up to a TV that I have to watch movies and such. the TV has component (RGB) inputs on it. Does anyone know if there is such a cable that could go from VGA or HDMI to component inputs? There was an HDMI to component cable that I had seen on amazon, but it had very poor reviews, most stating that it did not work for its intended purposes.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: connecting laptop to TV
PostPosted: Sun 08-22-2010 7:14PM 
Captain

Source: Off Campus
You have a laptop that is more advanced than your TV, and you're suffering through the obsolescence of component video.

Most likely, a simple adapter cable will not work at all. Your choices are:

In order for the simple adapter cable to work, your video card would need to have an option for outputting component video signals over VGA or HDMI. This is very unlikely, and it causes a lot of newbs to get upset when they buy a cheap cable for an incompatible video card. Thus explains the negative reviews.

If your video card was able to output its video signal to component, your laptop would have an S-Video port available.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 08-22-2010 9:54PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
koulevprime wrote:
If your video card was able to output its video signal to component, your laptop would have an S-Video port available.

I was under the impression that S-Video was a glorified Composite (Yellow only) cable with less internal resistance and more natural noise insulation, and that Component (Red, Green, and Blue cables) was by far a much more complex video transmission signal closer to VGA.
(IOW - Composite is to S-Video as Component is to VGA)

Maybe I am wrong, but I definitely don't see how an S-Video port is at all related to a video card's ability to transmit component signals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 08-23-2010 3:33PM 
Drowning

some gfx cards have 's video' its actually just a similar pinout to easily package component signals

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 08-23-2010 3:56PM 
Major General

ShadowCat38 wrote:
koulevprime wrote:

I was under the impression that S-Video was a glorified Composite (Yellow only) cable with less internal resistance and more natural noise insulation, and that Component (Red, Green, and Blue cables) was by far a much more complex video transmission signal closer to VGA.
(IOW - Composite is to S-Video as Component is to VGA)

Maybe I am wrong, but I definitely don't see how an S-Video port is at all related to a video card's ability to transmit component signals.

Yeah, you're right, S-video is glorified composite.

The reason that whether or not his laptop has S-video is relevant is because S-video can be converted to composite with a cheap adapter, and pretty much every TV still has a composite input. It wouldn't be HD, but it would be better than nothing (and if his TV doesn't have a DVI, VGA and/or HDMI input, I highly doubt it's a high def TV anyways)

HDMI/DVI (basically the same, HDMI is a regular DVI signal+audio) > VGA > Component > S-video > Composite

PostPosted: Tue 08-24-2010 2:57PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: IT Dept
s video separates the color and black and white information for a clearer signal than composite. you can convert s video to composite, but the other way either won't work, or you'll lose signal quality.

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 08-24-2010 8:30PM 
Sergeant

koulevprime wrote:
In order for the simple adapter cable to work, your video card would need to have an option for outputting component video signals over VGA or HDMI. This is very unlikely, and it causes a lot of newbs to get upset when they buy a cheap cable for an incompatible video card. Thus explains the negative reviews.

How can I tell if my graphics card has the option for outputting component video signals over HDMI or VGA?

Profile E-mail