* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 10:58AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: WTBorrow / Buy: PPGA Pentium III or Celeron
PostPosted: Tue 06-22-2004 4:19PM 
Colonel

Location: No one's really sure what became of Castorite after graduation

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
Here's the story: I've acquired an old HP Pavilion 6635. It's one of those cheap-o plasticy consumer machines you used to see at Staples and OfficeMax. I've been collecting parts piecemeal trying to rebuild the thing--not an easy proposition since most everything's proprietary. I've finally got all the hard-to-find parts in play. The only thing I need is a processor.

Here's what I've dug up about this system.
Facts:
- Originally came with a 533 MHz Celeron with a maximum supported spec of the same.
- PPGA socket (socket 370)
- Contains an Intel i810 Chipset
References:
- HP's 6635 website
- Intel i810 chipset
- Trigem Cognac+ Motherboard Specifications

Now, the i810 chipset will run P3s with a 100 MHz FSB. Intel supposedly makes a PPGA 1.1 GHz P3 with a 100 MHz FSB, but I've never actually seen it for sale anywhere. My hope is that one of you has one I could at least borrow to test on my board.

Actually, if you've got any PPGA processor with a 66 or 100 MHz FSB, Celeron or P3, I'd like to see if it will work.

I've also read success stories of people using FC-PGA to PPGA converters and using FC-PGA Pentium IIIs (also 100 MHz FSB) successfully, but I'd like to avoid adapters if at all possible. But, hey, if you've got one, I'd give it a whirl.

Message me by posting, by PM, or by e-mail. I read'em all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: WTBorrow / Buy: PPGA Pentium III or Celeron
PostPosted: Tue 06-22-2004 5:46PM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
Castorite wrote:
Here's the story: I've acquired an old HP Pavilion 6635. It's one of those cheap-o plasticy consumer machines you used to see at Staples and OfficeMax. I've been collecting parts piecemeal trying to rebuild the thing--not an easy proposition since most everything's proprietary. I've finally got all the hard-to-find parts in play. The only thing I need is a processor.

Here's what I've dug up about this system.
Facts:
- Originally came with a 533 MHz Celeron with a maximum supported spec of the same.
- PPGA socket (socket 370)
- Contains an Intel i810 Chipset
References:
- HP's 6635 website
- Intel i810 chipset
- Trigem Cognac+ Motherboard Specifications

Now, the i810 chipset will run P3s with a 100 MHz FSB. Intel supposedly makes a PPGA 1.1 GHz P3 with a 100 MHz FSB, but I've never actually seen it for sale anywhere. My hope is that one of you has one I could at least borrow to test on my board.

Actually, if you've got any PPGA processor with a 66 or 100 MHz FSB, Celeron or P3, I'd like to see if it will work.

I've also read success stories of people using FC-PGA to PPGA converters and using FC-PGA Pentium IIIs (also 100 MHz FSB) successfully, but I'd like to avoid adapters if at all possible. But, hey, if you've got one, I'd give it a whirl.

Message me by posting, by PM, or by e-mail. I read'em all.

I have a celeron 900, but AFAIK, all socket 370 PIIIs and celerons 566 and up are FC-PGA or FC-PGA2.

Using the Intel Processor spec finder, it says that all Celeron 900s are PPGA. I think Intel might be a little confused, if you look at the processor support page, PPGA Celerons are maxed out at 533. My Celeron 900 is a FC-PGA.

I guess you could try mine, shoot me an email.

jkrame@umr.edu

/edit

you might be SOL, because HP had a habit of locking the CPU multiplier on the Mobo and/or hardwiring the processor to the motherboard.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 06-26-2004 11:06PM 
Colonel

Location: No one's really sure what became of Castorite after graduation

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
The story thus far:

I went and met Stumbles a few days ago to try to get this working. We tried a PPGA Celeron @466MHz/66FSB and (for the heck of it) a FC-PGA Celeron @900Mhz/100FSB. I didn't think the FC-PGA chip would take, and indeed, it didn't. What suprised me was that the slower-than-spec PPGA chip didn't either. At that point I suspected bad RAM, but I just got finished checking it and it was okay. Now, I'm hoping it was a fluke or a bad processor (sorry Stumbles) instead of a blown board.

I still have hope that the board doesn't have a speed lock on it. I found a neat little thread on another forum here where the first comment makes mention of using an 866 P3 with a BIOS upgrade. There's another message board here where people are doing wicked-fast upgrades to the same board...with a BIOS upgrade. So, it appears that if I'm to get this done properly, I need to pay a little visit to the HP firmware pages.

The thing is, to update said BIOS, I still need a working chip. So, if anyone else out there in Seek42land has a low speed PPGA Celeron, I'd like to borrow it for a few minutes to get this done. I really don't want to have to put this back in storage now when I'm this close.

Profile E-mail