Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Wed 05-15-2024 8:50AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: processor question
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 9:54AM 
Colonel

Source: Kelly Hall
right now i wanna cry cause i got a bunch of new parts for christmas for my computer including new mobo, proc, memory, and video card. well i decided to run seti at home to crunch some numbers and i just went and compared my time to others time that have the same or slower proc and im at 9 hours at 50 % done while they were done in 3 hours! someone help me out here. i have the Athlon XP 2500+ Barton with a Shuttle Ak39N and 512 ddr2700. the computer recognizes everything correctly. and the proc is at 100% during the seti crunch.

Profile E-mail  
Report this post    Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 10:46AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Off Campus
Hey mud, do you have any other benchmarks? It is possible that you are using a different length/file type in SETi than the other users... Been a while since i have used that program, but if memory serves me correct, there are a few different types of work that the server gives out. Sometimes different files can process differently.

But I do have some other suggestions for you. First of all, lets find out if your CPU is really at the right speed. Goto this link, CPU-Z Homepage,and pick up this little program called CPU-Z. It will check, from inside windows, you exact CPU speed, Bus speeds, memory speeds, etc. If you can, take a screenshot of it, and post it on here (be sure to convert it to .jpg, cause i am on dialup, and dont have much use for 1MB .bmp files! :roll: )

If that checks out good, and your CPU is indeed at the right speed (should be 1.83GHz for a 2500+ Barton, if memory serves). Then try this other small program, SuperPi. SuperPi installer (108k). Download this prog, and install it to the default directory. Then, make sure you have all apps closed, including msn and any IE windows, then start up superpi, hit calculate, and select the 1M calculation length. This is the standard length, and for a computer of that caliber, it should get around 50seconds as the calculation time +- 5secs. But it should get right around 50secs if everything is right. This program just does a raw calculation of the value of Pi out to 1million digit. Fairly reliable, very quick, and very small benchmark.

Let me know what you find, and we will go from there!

-Plack

space pastries ate my cortex

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 11:05AM 
Colonel

its posted on my computer \\spl150 cause i dont know how to do images in these forums other than web adresses. and it says the FSB is 166 and the bus speed is 333. so the bus speed is supposed to be 333 but its only at 166? is that what that means? thats what im guessing....

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 11:09AM 
Colonel

it took one minute at 1M so its kinda ok on that side of it.... not great....

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 11:49AM 
Lieutenant

Source: VPN
CPU-Z looks just fine. When it reads your Bus speed, it is reading the speed in actual MHz. The FSB actually works on the DDR (Double Data Rate) so it will always show that it is 2x what the 'bus speed' is. This is perfectly normal. Basically you can say that 166Bus = 333FSB, 133Bus = 266FSB, 100 = 200 and 200 = 400.

What memory speeds are you running? Click over to the memory tab on CPU-Z, and give me a screenshot of that if you can!

What O/S are you running? I would assume it is at least windows 2k/XP.

And last, but not least, make sure you have the latest VIA Hyperion Chipset drivers installed, and the latest motherboard BIOS. If you arent sure of what i am talking about, let me know.

-Plack

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 12:02PM 
Colonel

pc2700 and windows xp pro. and i do have the latest drivers.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 12:41PM 
Lieutenant

yes, i know you have pc2700, but what i meant, was what are your memory timings? Like CAS/RAS, etc. If they are set too lax, then your performance will suffer. That's why i need the screenshot from the CPU-Z that lists your memory timings.

-Plack

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 1:04PM 
Colonel

Source: Farrar Hall
ive not used seti@home, but if its like most other DC apps it does a quick benchmark before starting and generally gives out bigger jobs to faster systems

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 2:57PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
Ok to point out the obvious that may have been over looked

Are you running the GUI seti@home? If you are thats the prob. Get the CLI version.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 03-18-2004 3:05PM 
Colonel

theres more than one version????????
screen shot of memory is up.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-22-2004 4:16PM 
Major

Source: Triangle
yes. there's the graphical client (slow as shit, but nice graphics), and the command line version (ugly as shit, but fast as hell). my old P3 will crank out a work unit in CLI seti in about 5 hrs.

[[Th3_C124zY_P31250|\|]]
[not at UMR for a year... i need money first]

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-22-2004 4:29PM 
Colonel

I've completed some 20-25 units, and I just have it running as a screen saver. Typically it takes around 10-12 hours for my AMD 2600+ with 512MB to knock it out. So your times aren't really that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 03-22-2004 7:21PM 
Major

Source: Triangle
-|F.I.B.|-LowMan wrote:
I've completed some 20-25 units, and I just have it running as a screen saver. Typically it takes around 10-12 hours for my AMD 2600+ with 512MB to knock it out. So your times aren't really that bad.

my friends p4 2.53 with 512 mb ram will crank out a WU in just over an hour using the CLI seti client. your times suck due to the excessive GUIness.

[[Th3_C124zY_P31250|\|]]
[not at UMR for a year... i need money first]

Profile E-mail  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]