Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue 04-30-2024 10:16PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: OS Questions
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 1:56PM 
Major General

Source: Wilson Library
After Windows ME on my computer lived up to its inherit crappiness, and refused to work (partly because of the stupid act i performed or opening a virus :roll: ), i tried to install a copy of Windows XP.

My stepdad recently bought a new Dell, so i borrowed his XP reinstallation CD. However, neither me or my roomate could get it to install properly. I *think* i need some kind of a floppy to go with the XP reinstallation CD to get it to install (i also played with the options in Setup when the computer starts, so it would try the CD rom first, then floppy drive, then hard drive).

So, when i go home over spring break i will grab the rest of his boot disks.

However, after reading the manual that came with the XP reinstallation disk, it appears i have to "activate" the copy of XP after 30 days to make sure it is installed on one computer. Now, i would imagine the XP installed on my stepdad's computer was activated before the computer was shipped, but then i would have to activate my illegial copy. Is there any easy way i can get around this? I have the code required to install XP, but i'm worried that i won't be able to use it after 30 days. And i really don't want to give Microsoft the money for XP if i don't have to, and i don't want to go back to crappie Windows ME.

After getting fed up with Windows, my roomate, who is a Linux guru, helped me try to install copies of both the Red Hat and Debian versions of Linux, neither of which would work after hours of messing with them (monitor and mouse compatability problems), so i could have a functioning computer until i go home next.

Anyway, as you can tell i really don't know a whole lot about computers, but i'm slowly learning. Thanks for any help.

Profile E-mail  
Report this post    Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 2:05PM 
Colonel

Source: Kelly Hall
all you can do is install it and then try to do it online. if that doesn't work just call tech support to get the key to activate over the phone and tell them that you formatted your computer and you needed to reinstall windows. but for some reason, those reinstall disks i though they were activated, but i might be wrong......

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: Re: OS Questions
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 2:46PM 
Brigadier General

I found your problem.
lukecp wrote:
[stuff] . . . Dell . . . [more stuff]

They are notorious for making their stuff only work on their computers. Besides, you don't want WinDell XP (because it isn't 100% original MS code once Dell got their hands on it). Get a friend to pull a version of XP off the network for you and burn it onto CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 2:46PM 
Spanish

Source: TJ South
well it's a shame to pass up linux due to compatability issues. What kind of setup do you have? If it seems feasable, do you mind if I try to install slackware :D ?

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 3:11PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ Hall
No, don't let the heretic corrupt you! :wink: 8)

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 3:52PM 
Major General

Source: TJ Hall
heretic^ wrote:
well it's a shame to pass up linux due to compatability issues. What kind of setup do you have? If it seems feasable, do you mind if I try to install slackware :D ?

He (my roomate) also seems pretty intent to bring me over from the "dark side" (windows) to the world of open source software, but too bad it isn't working.
My setup is an older Dell computer, using a Dell monitor. With Red Hat, we had problems getting the OS to support the monitor, and the graphical part of Linux wouldn't work (WinX or whatever its called). With the Debian version so far, the mouse won't work with the system, strange because it is a regular Logitech PS/2 style mouse, and for some reason it dosen't like my ethernet card, i can connect to the campus network but not the internet. With the Red Hat version i could get on the internet, and i d/l'd a bunch of files. My roomate tried to recompile the kernel to get it to work (he did it like twice), still no luck to have a working mouse or internet connection.

Quote:
They are notorious for making their stuff only work on their computers. Besides, you don't want WinDell XP (because it isn't 100% original MS code once Dell got their hands on it). Get a friend to pull a version of XP off the network for you and burn it onto CD.

My computer is also a crappy Dell, although it is about 3 years old (outdated).

So, if i get a burned copy of XP off Seek, which shouldn't be too much of a problem, will i also have to worry about activating it, or would it work normally w/o the activation? Any reccomendations of which of the Seek copies would be the best for me to use?

Thanks for the responses so far.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 5:28PM 
Brigadier General

1) If your Hardware is 3 years old, check to see if it is one the HCL for XP (Hardware Compatability List) Microsoft Calls it the Windows Catalog on-line. Click the 'Hardware' Tab or use the "search for" field under the windows logo.

2) If your Hardware is not listed as "Designed for Windows XP" you should check the original designer's* website to see if there is a driver for XP.
*(The manufacturer of your hardware is Dell, if you have a Graphics card based on an NVidia Chipset, check NVidia's website for information about the model of card you have. Ignore the Dell stuff, they have to say that legaly but there are rearly changes drastic enough on the Hardware it-self for it to make a difference.)

3) If your still a go for XP, have a friend help you install and crack XP, the information is on the network just look for it. PS--You might as well make sure you install Pro, it's better than Home.

3') This is three prime, if you are a no go for XP, I recomend 98SE, if you want to keep windows. Again, search the network, 98SE is much easier to crack than XP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 5:56PM 
Colonel

actually...if you want windows, i would recommend 2k over xp or 98se

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 6:48PM 
Brigadier General

Win 2K is less compatible with applications than 9x. If he was running ME, he may have a large quanity of software not compatible with 2k. Of course there is a compatibility list for Win 2k as well. I'll agree that it is a very good OS though. Better (more stable) than 98SE at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 7:20PM 
Colonel

i've never had a problem with application compatibility other than dos based programs...which are few and far between these days because there are generally better alternatives.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 7:43PM 
Brigadier General

Some of the aplications in the Adobe Digital Video collection have serious issues with 2k. In particular, support for video caputre and hardware redering cards. I suppose that is really hardware issues but it means I can't use the (rather expensive) software to it's full potential.

Moral to the story, it pays to check compatibility before buying.

Post subject: kick ass
PostPosted: Sun 03-21-2004 9:33PM 
Major General

Source: TJ North
Well, my persistent roomate had to fix my comptuer, and i am now running the Debian version of Linux.....so far it is different but seems pretty cool!

Thanks for the replies.

Profile E-mail  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]