Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 05-09-2024 8:16PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shaolin Soccer and Battlefield Baseball: A review
PostPosted: Tue 03-23-2004 9:07AM 
Lieutenant

Source: TJ North
Its 3 AM and there is no sign of fatigue yet so what does one do, he watches weird asian films that can only be described by sheer insanity, or the goofiest fuckin movies avalible.

As a foreword these movies must be watched with subtitle because they lose so much in trnaslation(assuming there was something before).

The first movie, Shaolin Soccer combines the almighty sport of soccer with the old traditions of kung-fu goodness. Made fairly recently the film uses CG to animate the more "physically impossible" soccer techniques. The movie, a comedy, has no shortage of jokes/humor, ranging from slapstick to "clever funny". The movie revoles around the two men, one an old soccer coach who was once a great sports celebrity, and the other a useless bum who believes the whole world should learn Shaolin Kung-fu. As the movie rolls on an interesting team forms from the students from the last great kung-fu master. All of these players have super cool powers like the ability to kick and fly and breakdance! This movies also has romance for those who like that sort of thing and at times can be very moving. As the movie finished I was left feeling satified having watched a cool action film in which soccer was considered popular, and having burned a good hour and thirty odd some minutes while I was at it. I would say that if your in the mood for a movie that isn't violent and is funny you won't be dissapointed, unless you can't figure out the freakin subtitles and you watch it all the way though without understanding what they are saying.

The second movie, Battle Field Baseball, takes place in Japan and I think degrades baseball ever further than it all ready is. Now I should start by saying that I really don't like baseball. I think its dumb so when I got this movie and started it up at 4:30AM I was ready to be dissapointed. Boy I couldn't be more right. Like the soccer movie, this movie involves a team full of "special people". Don't get me wrong by special I don't mean superman special, I mean "I can't act" special. This story revolves around the head of a school and the thirst he has for winning the championship for baseball. Surrounded by stereotypic highschoolers(Japanese mind you) his team should be unstoppable, except the first team that he has to play is a team full of grey faced psycos. Thats right, they are all painted grey and they look like they came from a Marylin Mason concert. Now these guys don't play by the rules, and by that I mean they kill the other team. Now to counteract this team of evil, they good side gets rebel with long hair to play because hes just that good. After a very good scene depicting "Fighting Baseball" the good guys go and fight the psycos. Now let me warn you, this movie likes to kill and resurect people more than Jesus did and eventually there will be plot twists that are just more stupid than suprsing. Eventually you will see that this movie wasn't made to be serious and thankfully by the end you will laugh, either by the jokes or the shittyness of it. I would give this movie 2 ball and 2 strikes as a rating simply because it was good for buning another 1 and 30 minutes in the dead of night. As a closing note, if you take all the scenes that had baseball in it and put them together you will see about 4 minutes of coverage, which is about all that anyone can handle since baseball sucks. Thanks for reading all the way to the end. I would recomend that you watch these movies, not alone of course, to understand why I had to write this much on them. Thanks again

Dan

Report this post    Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 03-23-2004 6:30PM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
Could someone share Battlefield Baseball? It's not on seek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 03-24-2004 1:07AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
Yeah, share BFB out.

Profile E-mail  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]