Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue 03-19-2024 1:08AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OnLive
PostPosted: Thu 03-26-2009 2:15PM 
Captain

Source: Off Campus
This sounds pretty cool, except for the 5 MB required connection for HD which I dont get at my home. Of course besides bandwidth there are other problems like always having to have a internet connection to play your games.

Pres Conference
http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6206692/g ... rence?hd=1

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: OnLive
PostPosted: Thu 03-26-2009 7:57PM 
Spanish

Snake oil and vaporware. It looks about as significant as a ppu (physics processing unit, remember those? can you name how many current titles use them?) I'll believe it when I see it, from what I can tell it looked to me like more of a sales pitch than a press release. Most of their answers were vague and uninteresting. I'm sorry but I'm going to stick with what I know works.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: OnLive
PostPosted: Thu 03-26-2009 11:04PM 
Major General

The new OnLive game streaming service sounds amazing -- being able to play PC games from basically anything with a TV nearby is a dream for people tired of paying thousands of dollars to upgrade their equipment. But are Rearden Studios' claims about OnLive's capabilities amazing because they're impossible? Eurogamer's Richard Leadbetter thinks so.

First off, there are the hardware requirements. In order to run a new PC game at 720p, Leadbetter notes that each individual instance of the game will require "... the processing equivalent of a high-end dual core PC running a very fast GPU - a 9800GT minimum, and maybe something a bit meatier depending on whether the 60fps gameplay claim works out, and which games will actually be running. That's for every single connection OnLive is going to be handling." So OnLive is going to have to essentially buy one computer for each simultaneous connection it has.

Second, there's the video encoding. "The bottom line here is that OnLive's 'interactive video compression algorithm' must be so utterly amazing, and orders of magnitude better than anything ever made, that you wonder why the company is bothering with videogames at all when the potential applications are so much more staggering and immense." There's a video example of the kind of compression needed even to approach this level of speed, and it's not pretty.

Finally, latency. In order for any of this to work, OnLive has to maintain "sub-150 millisecond latency from its servers at least, and a hell of a QoS (quality of service) to guarantee that this will in any way approximate the experience you currently have at home."

Leadbetter offers a few solutions, but they're as unlikely as Rearden's claims -- like licensing OnLive data centers to ISPs in order to be closer to users.